main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

trekkies vs. star wars fans

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DIRK_DIGGLER, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    I enjoyed Star Trek: TNG...gets me in the mood to watch Star Wars. Anyway like lastnight while we were in the back of a huge line to see Nemesis my friend suddenly turned to me and was like "Dude! We should'a worn our Jedi robes!" and I was like "Dude! That would own!"...we got inside and just stared at the Trekkies. Heh, then we were like "Go Jedi!!!!!" and went in and watched the movie.

2. ballz-on-chinion

ballz-on-chinion Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2002
    I haven't seen memesis yet, I might just wait and rent it. was it any good or worth seeing?

3. Die_Jedi_Dogs

Die_Jedi_Dogs Jedi Master star 3

Jun 17, 2002
    I think it was the best TNG movie to date. I definatly enjoyed it.

4. starwarssisterleia

starwarssisterleia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2002
    I never really got into Star Trek becuase there were too many versions.

5. DarthDrew

DarthDrew Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 26, 2002
    While it?s true that Star Wars and Star Trek are different universes and different times, that?s by design. We?re all losing sight of the main focus here.

Both Star Wars and Star Trek are about our world?s problems ? pure and simple. Don?t try to delude yourself into thinking that the ships or the people or the planets are at all important in the grand scheme of things. They?re both about different cultural, social, economic and political systems and how they interact. As I see it:
  6. Emperor Palpatine ?evil (Osama? The US?)
  7. The Empire - Totalitarian government
  8. Romulan Empire ? unyielding enemies
  9. Rebel Alliance and the United Federation of Planets - Heroes
  10. Darth Vader (The Sith) ? Religious and personal power run amok
  11. The Emperor not liking non-human races and dozens of other examples from both universes ? PREJUDICE!
  12. Ferengi and the Trade Federation ? Economic power and problems that can result from unchecked economic power
  13. The Hutts ? Opportunistic gangsters
  14. There are so many other examples, please add your own

15. They?re both meant to bring our focus toward our own personal situation in our country / world situation. They?re both meant to focus us on a larger situation than our own lives. C'mon, people... What do you stand for? What do you believe in? Stand up for it! Fight for it! Don?t just sit there and be a Twi?lek and go along with it.

16. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    The first star trek motion picture was utter crap, i remember walking out of the theatre thinking what was that.

That bald chick bugged me too.

They did get better though, i liked First Contact the best, the one with the Borg i thought that movie was the best of the series, want to see Nemesis.

17. BLUEJEDI3

May 12, 2002
    Double Post

18. BLUEJEDI3

May 12, 2002
    oooppps

19. Jedi-Monkey

Jedi-Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Or it could be that both of them are simply entertainment for entertainment's sake, and any messages you get out of it are your own. Personally I go to a movie to be entertained and forget about real life for a few hours. But that's me and maybe other people want to look at it differently.

But back on topic, I am, like many people here before me have said, a fan of both series', but for different reasons. Star Trek is my science fiction fix, while Star Wars is my science fiction fix.

That and the Star Wars merchandise is SOOOOO much cooler, heh heh heh...

20. kampilan

kampilan Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    I was never a big Star Trek fan. I remember seeing some of the Filmation cartoon series and enjoyed that better than the live-action show! I always liked the starships and phasers but never got into the merchandise and comics and stuff.

Next Generation was pretty cool and new and I read some of the comics but then lost interest altogether down the road. Deep Space Nine was bo-ring(yawn) but I did get into Voyager. Voyager was my kinda show but didn't really watch it regularly.

First Contact is my fave ST movie and some of the others were okay. The Motion Picture was pretty bo-ring to me. Wrath of Khan was pretty cool. I haven't seen Insurrection yet and Nemesis(Vong-like?)I'll wait until the rental!

UPN's Enterprsie...now that is a great show and try to watch it every week when I can.

Star Wars will always kick butt IMHO but the one thing trekkies can brag about to us SW fans: when EPIII is all said and done, Star Trek will still be going on in TV and movies. (Hint Hint) ST has been on TV and has always had a strong fan following and many of Gene Roddenberry's ideas are on the tube...

Lucafilm: we want the Clone Wars to happen!

21. Fanboy_Solo

Fanboy_Solo Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    I am of course a much bigger SW fan than I am of anything else. I only really can stand watching the Star Trek movies. Sometimes I catch myself watching the occasional episode. But to see how both have their degrees of extremism, watch the documentary Trekkies. Then watch StarWoids. You'll see. Once I camped out for Episode 1, I knew my once arch-nemeses were akin to me in many ways.

22. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    The only thing I like about Star Trek is TNG. The other seriers are too monotonous.

I absolutely love Star Wars. I hate it when people automatically assume I'm a trekkie because I like Star Wars. They are two different things!!!

23. MD-O

MD-O Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2000
    As they appeal to different parts of my brain and heart I love them both.

Star Wars is a myth that just happens to be played out in outer space and effects me on a strong emotional level.

Star Trek is science fiction based on what might actually be in the distant future and appeals to my intellect more. I've become a huge fan of the much maligned Voyager series which unlike TNG,(with Troi and Crusher), has no weak characters/cast.

24. Darth_Enigmas

Darth_Enigmas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2002
    IMHO all trekkies should be fed to Jabba's Rancor...

25. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The thing that bugs me about Star Trek is that nothing ever seems to work.

"Fire phasers!"

"Phasers are offline, Captain!"

*BOOM*

"Shields down to 20%!"

"Fire photon torpedoes!'

"The console's not responding!"

"Helm, get us out of here!"

"Warp drive is offline! We can only engage impulse engines!"

"Well, then, let's all transport to that little moon over there so we don't die with the ship."

"There's too much interference! We can't get a transporter lock on the crew!"

etc.

At any rate, it's my opinion that Star Trek: The Motion Picture is one of the most underrated all time science fiction classics. It ranks up there with Stanley Kubrik's brilliant masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyessy.

26. seeker_two

seeker_two Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2003
    ST helps me pass the time b/t SW movies... :D

Only ST version I really liked was DS9--it was closest to SW than any of the others...

27. Bail-AnBillies

Bail-AnBillies Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    I'm a Trek fan, but it doesn't mean I am insanely HUGE a fan like some people. I think I am more of an SW fan though.

(BTW IMO DS9 is the BEST Trek show)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.