main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~~Tremors of the Past: Production Thread~~~

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Ridley Solo, Aug 17, 2011.

1. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    I hope you don't mean that the camera operator's sole duty is to shake the camera. At that point, just leave it locked down lol.

2. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Well, orginally there were a lot of pans, tilts, etc. but without a cameraman the only thing needed that couldn't be written out of the script was an earthquake sequence, hence the camera shake.

Luckily my brother volunteered to help...and I'm praying the wind forecast is wrong otherwise we'll be quite literally gone with the wind. [face_frustrated]

3. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    ...aaaannnnd we need a new location. $400 worth of filming permits is NOT in the budget. [face_frustrated]

So until we can find a FREE rocky location in Southern California, filming has been put off until further notice.

4. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    Honestly, are you really going to be stopped and asked for permits with a what, 2 or 3 person crew?
    I highly doubt it unless your filming on the front steps of city-hall with 60 people and $100,000 worth of equipment.

If anyone asks, say it's for school. With that excuse alone I was able to film IN a movie theater, and the owner even asked if we'd like a movie playing in the background to help the atmosphere.

And remember filming only stops when you decide it does.

5. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    Yes. We were. The park ranger at Vasquez Rocks said that since it's a film with props and costumes- non-profit and small crew or not- it requires a permit, or the police will come (They patrol the area regularly, the ranger said) and shut the production down, fine us, and take our equipment. We'd need a court order to get it back, I kid you not. :eek: The ranger was really nice about it but no one else in the cast/crew wanted to risk going guerilla.

And without a valid student ID I'm not chancing lying about it being 'for school' and then having them ask "what school" and to see ID. Seriously, this was Southern California, LA county. Hollywood central. They're strict and expensive out there...which is probably why Cali is losing so much money on filming locations, but that's another can of worms. :p

Right now I'm looking into other locations and double-checking filming permit requirements. I'm going to be calling directly to see if being non-profit makes any difference. The favorites at this point are Red Rock Canyon or Joshua Tree National Monument, but in case those don't work out I've got a backup plan. It doesn't look nearly as cool as the other places but it's free and practically in our backyard.

6. Ridley Solo

Aug 27, 2010
    FINALLY found a new location! [face_dancing] As long as the city doesn't give us any trouble (they haven't in the past), we should be good to go. We'll probably do a refresher script reading next week and then start filming on February 11. We're going to take our time and not rush things, so no word on when we might be finished.

7. burkevader

burkevader Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2008
    WHy don't you post up some production pics for us to see? Interested to see your progress.

Funny to I noticed this thread cause I posted my new trailer for "ECHO OF THE PAST"......similar name :)

Check mine out too when you get a chance....and looking forward to seeing your progress