main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Trial By Fire: An AU of ROTS A different choice is made by Obi-Wan on Mustafar. Updated 11/30

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Milteck, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Milteck

Milteck Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2006
    Title: Trial by Fire
    Author: Milteck
    Summary: This is an alternate ending of ROTS, with the duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin having a different outcome.
    Notes: At this point not sure how much further am going to go with this, but if recieves positive feedback will continue it.

Characters:

Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader

Mustafar

On the lava skiff, the Sith Lord Darth Vader fought Obi-Wan Kenobi with the full tenacity and hatred that his new title demanded from him. Rage was fueling his actions now, fueled by the dark side of the Force that flowed through him as strongly as the currents from the lava river on this forsaken planet.

Anakin became Darth Vader by choice, accepting the offer to become Darth Sidious? apprentice in exchange for the knowledge to save Padme?s life. But first he had to betray those closest to him, starting with the Jedi Order by turning against all those who had believed in him. After his part in the killing of Master Windu, there was no turning back from the dark path and he committed to it by taking the lives of all the Jedi in the Temple after his new Master issued executive order 66.
    Yet even then he hadn?t completely lost his mind and believed he was truly doing what was best for the galaxy.

That all changed on Mustafar. He killed the Separatist leaders out of revenge and feelings of hatred for them. It was easy
    to justify wiping them all out and didn?t feel at all guilty about slaying them, feeling the same way about it as he did before after massacring the tribe of sand people who murdered his mother. Wiping out the leaders ended the war and with their codes now in his hands he shut down all the droid armies, ending the war, and finally brought peace to the galaxy. But even after the slaughter, he still hadn?t completely given in to the dark side to become Darth Vader and there was still good in him.

The act that would finally push him over the edge was Padme?s betrayal. He had anticipated her following him to Mustafar and had hoped afterwards to find somewhere safe in the galaxy to hide her while he figured out a way to save her from his dreams. The look of fear in her eyes of him was unsettling and was angered that she didn?t seem to care that everything he had done was for her. But even he was surprised to see Obi-Wan appear out of her ship, brought to Mustafar by his beloved Padme to kill him. The betrayal wounded him deeply and he reached out with the Force to choke her, wanting to punish her for betraying him, and make her pay the ultimate price for her betrayal. He would deal with her treason soon enough after he finished with Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan turned her against him and ruined everything that he had planned. His dream of a better Republic, with him as its King and Padme as his queen, was quickly fading away, leaving him now with the only choices of surrendering to Obi-Wan for his crimes or fight. Anakin was never one to surrender and things had gone too far for him to turn back now.
    He had made his choice and became Darth Vader.

Now he was going to have to commit himself to that path and Obi-Wan was the only one who stood in his way. The fight that ensued between them became a struggle of Titans; both of whom were heroes, one of whom had fallen and had to be stopped. The battle raged inside the factory, but soon stretched out to Mustafar itself where Obi-Wan hoped the fiery inferno of a planet would give him an edge against Vader. They fought back and forth over the Factory?s infrastructure, until they found themselves fighting over the savage terrain of the planet itself. Now they squared off, Anakin standing on the head of a lava droid and Obi-Wan on a lava skiff over the river of fire.

?There is still good in you!? Obi-Wan yelled out to him. ?Let go of your hate and anger.?

Anakin laughed madly. He was too far gone now to be saved and after what he did to Padme he longer cared what happened to him. ?This is the end for you, my master

2. megacrafter2

megacrafter2 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2007
    I remember when i first read this, it was as good then as it is now, i would be interested in seeing it continued.

3. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Very interesting.=D=
    I like their conversation at the end, and even though I understand Obi-Wans rage
    he is still a Jedi Master.
    He didn't give in to hate and now he is rescuing Anakin as well.
    I wonder if Anakin will thank him for it or hate him.[face_thinking]

Looking forward to more.:cool:

4. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Yes, I like this choice better than the one in canon. Please continue, and pm please?

5. timerift22

timerift22 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    pm list

ppppppplllllllllleeeeeeaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeee

Snow

6. DarthVaderette

DarthVaderette Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2004
    Most definitely continue as this is good so far, and please PM me with updates.

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?Then it is best I take you with me.?

Just be careful Obi. Anakin may have "come to his senses" but he still has a tendency to act before he thinks.

[face_worried] [face_worried] [face_worried]

If you have a PM list for this, please add me

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    I appreciate the enthusiastic responses I have recieved for this story, will update it again soon.

9. FitJedi

FitJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2006
    Very interesting idea, please add me to your pm list when you update.

10. alderaanprincess

alderaanprincess Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2008
    Cool idea for a story. I've always kinda wondered what would happen if Obi did save him so this will be interesting. If you have a PM list, could you put me on it?

11. Ascal_Elessar

Ascal_Elessar Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 3, 2004
    Great start, I'm really glad you've decided to continue this. Can I be on the PM list?

12. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
    ?If you do not understand why I saved you, then you never will.?

Vintage Obi-Wan and so much wisdom in his words. Totally captured.

For lack of a better phrase, dude, you rule.

Please place me on the PM list.

-B-

13. PetraKenobi

PetraKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    Interesting...I'd like to read more. PM list please. :D

14. Lincoln_6_Echo

Lincoln_6_Echo Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2006
    Interesting beginning. I am really curious to see what will happen next. Please continue it!

15. tamiki

tamiki Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2005
    Interesting and wellwritten. Please continue.

16. Darth_Nellie

Darth_Nellie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2008
    Very nice. Please add me to your PM list if you're going to continue with this.

17. son-of-kenobi

son-of-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    nice start, what the hell is obi-wan gonna do with Anakin/vader?
    and what is palpy gonna do about his missing apprentice? add more soon please, and plz add me to ur PM list!

18. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Good start Milteck,

Please send me a PM when you update this.

EG

19. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I think I read part of this before... or something similar. I found it an intriguing idea then and still do. Please keep posting. I'm very interested to see where this tale will lead. If you have a PM list, please add me to it.

20. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. It really made me glad I have resurrected this story and will continue to work on it with future updates.

Gkilkenny I also enjoyed writing that conversation at the end because I wanted to protray Obi-Wan more as a father figure than a brother and how angry and disappointed he was in Anakin. I am pleased that came across in character. Rescuing Anakin instead of leaving him there to die also is an interesting twist to the story and am going to enjoy spinning ROTS in an entirely new direction. You'll have to read further to see how their relationship continues... Let me know if you want on the pm list.

ratna I agree with you, saving Anakin is much better choice then simply standing there and watching him burn. Obi-Wan could have at least finished him off and put Anakin out of his misery, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Perhaps that is another twist someone could explore: If Obi-Wan had finished off Anakin on Mustafar.. I will happily add you to the PM list.

timerift22 Added you to the pm list

darthvaderette Thank you for reading and added you to the ever growing list:D

kelia Anakin is definitely unpredictable. That will play a big part to his character in the upcoming story along with the lingering doubt if Anakin can really be trusted. Added you to the pm list.

fitjedi I am glad you enjoyed the premise. Will add you to the list.

alderaanprincess This idea has always remained in the back burner while I have continued writing my other AU Dawn of a New age which starts with Anakin allowing Mace to kill Palpatine and then goes on to tell how Anakin brings Balance to the Force as a Jedi. I will happily add you to my PM list.

Ascal_Elessar Glad you enjoyed what writers refer to as the first five pages. Glad to see your hooked to read more and will add you to the pm list.

blubeast That line is actually the one I worked the hardest on when wrote that first part because really wanted to show the disappointment, pain, and wisdom of the legendary Jedi master. I am glad you enjoyed and will add u to the pm list.

Petrakenobi I am glad you enjoyed the story. I added you to the pm list.

lincoln_6_echo Am glad so many people have really responded to the opening of this story. I plan to continue writing this and hope to see more feedback from you in the future. Let me know if u would like on the pm list.

tamiki Thanks for your feedback and your compliment about my writing. I will be continuing this. Let me know if u would like to be added to my PM list.

darth_nellie Yep, this is definitely continuing. I've added u to my pm list.

son-of-kenobi You will have to read on to discover not only what Obi-Wan will do with Anakin, but how their relationship changes as well.

eg_kenobi Thanks for your feedback and am glad to see a long time reader here as well. Will add you to my PM list.

p_stotts This is from an earlier story I wrote but didn't continue it at the time. I have revamped the story quite a bit and plan to continue it now that I know where I want to go with it. Added you to the pm list.

Thanks again everyone for all your feedback.
    I really appreciate it

21. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    The title of the chapter says it all. I hope everyone enjoys this chapter, despite how it ends on a sour note. Though sometimes angels have to fall so that others can rise to take their place...

Polis Massan

The asteroid colony known as Polis Massan was a highly classified, Republic run, facility that specializes in the development of advanced robotics, cloning, and medical research. It was the perfect location for Obi-Wan and Yoda to form a secret base, regroup, and plan their next move. The location was suggested by Senator Organa, who was one of the few high ranking public officials who knew of the installation?s existence. It was also unknown to Palpatine because it had been built prior to him
    becoming Chancellor, making it also the perfect place for the Jedi to hide.

The location was also chosen because it housed one of the finest medical facilities in the outer rim, giving both Yoda and Obi-Wan access to the best possible care if they needed treatment for any wounds suffered during their missions. The planning proved to be prudent; for both Anakin and Padme?s condition was critical by the time they reached the station. During the long flight, Obi-Wan put her under a trance to keep her alive and allowed Anakin to stay with her while he recovered from his own ghastly injuries. He had offered to put him under a trance as well, but Anakin refused, wanting to spend every moment awake with her.

Anakin spent the entire flight trying to save her, but was unable to free of her of dark spell he had cast upon her and was left with just the sorrow of knowing that he was the cause of her suffering. Not only was the guilt unbearable for him, Anakin feared he was about to lose her and what he had done wounded him far worse than the injuries he suffered on Mustafar. Anakin openly wept and wailed for her, taking the pain of her suffering into himself until it nearly broke him. He had become the very thing he feared most of all and Obi-Wan couldn?t help but feel sorry for him, despite the pain of betrayal that hit him every time he thought of his former Padawan. It tore him up inside to see Anakin toppled so low, but also believed he deserved it.

They were forcibly separated once they reached the colony. Anakin wanted to stay with her, but his injuries were too serious to be ignored and he was dunked immediately into a bacta tank for treatment. Obi-Wan felt it was for the better that he not be there while they tried to save not only Padme?s life, but the life inside her as well. That decision would prove to be correct, for Obi-Wan knew that if Anakin were to learn of what was to happen next then he would never be able to forgive himself.

?She?s dying,? the medical droid MD-1 told him plainly.

?How can that be?? Obi-Wan asked dumbfounded. ?There appears to be nothing wrong with her, save for the bruises on her neck.?

?I have examined her thoroughly and cannot explain why she is not recovering.? The droid then paused as it tried to determine an explanation to give Obi-Wan for her deteriorating condition. It was clear the droid was truly baffled and could only tell him, ?It appears sir that she has lost the will to live.?

Obi-Wan sighed in disbelief. Anakin?s worst fears would soon be realized, for he was the instrument of her death and the Force Choke that he had used to punish her for her betrayal was still slowly killing her. Obi-Wan looked into the examining room at her unconscious form and could tell that the color of her skin was turning pale and the monitors watching her vitals were also indicating that her strength was fading. She didn?t have much time left and Obi-Wan found himself at a loss about what he should do next.

?We must act quickly if we are to save the babies.?

?What?? Obi-Wan asked in surprise. ?What do you mean??

?She?s carrying twins, sir.?

Obi-Wan stared at the droid in disbelief. For the moment, he was dumbstruck by the revelation and found himself unable to think clearly about the matter at hand. He had known that Padme was pre

22. Milteck

Jul 8, 2006
    Here is the PM list for this story.

alderaanprincess
    ascal_elessar
    blubeast1237
    darth_nellie
    darthvaderette
    egkenobi
    fitjedi
    kelia
    megacrafter2
    petrakenobi
    p_stotts
    ratna
    son-of-kenobi
    timerift22

As a rule, I only send out PM's to those who actively read my stories and leave feedback. I do this because sometimes people only log on occassionally and find their PM box crammed with unread messages from story updates. This way you can read the story when you have the time and don't get spammed unwanted updates.

Thanks for reading

23. megacrafter2

megacrafter2 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 19, 2007
    noooo, PADME, um wait...she forgot to name the kids.

24. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    So sad! :_| I was really hoping Padme would pull through, but alas, it was not to be. Very good angst and emotion in this post, and I feel so sorry for Obi-Wan and Anakin. Will Anakin blame Obi-Wan for not letting him be with Padme in her final moments? Or will he focus on his children and use them as a source of purpose and strength? I anxiously await your next post. [face_praying]

25. Darth_Nellie

Darth_Nellie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2008
    Interesting update. I like how you're exploring the different choices that Obiwan could and has made. For example, this is the first fic that I've read where he considered letting the twins die. Your Obiwan also appears to be tougher and I'm looking forward to seeing how this changes the dynamic between him and Anakin. Keep up the great work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.