main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trial of the force. (my first fanfic, be gentle)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Darth Dark Helmet, Apr 19, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    What are the differences between the Digital 8 and MiniDV sony video cameras?

2. Jedi Chimi

Jedi Chimi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 24, 2000
    Digital 8 records onto 8mm tapes while MiniDV records onto special MiniDV tapes. MiniDV is better quality than Digital 8. I believe the D8's were created for people who already have an 8mm because you can play your old 8mm tapes on them, while on the MiniDV, you can't. I'm not sure (and maybe someone can help me here) if Digital 8 is really "digital". When people think of Digital, they think of MiniDV. I am getting a MiniDV here in the next couple weeks so maybe I can make something good with it.

3. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    There is a slight difference in resolution between Digital 8 and Mini DV. However, Digital 8's are several hundred cheaper than Mini DV.

And Digital 8 is true digital. Sony cameras come with the i.link port which is firewire/IEEE1394 by another name.

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms

4. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    OK, thanks. I'm currently thinking about a camera to purchase and am checking out the following one

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Sony Digital 8 Handycam
    with Photo Mode stores photos on tape
    Features SteadyShot for jitter-free recording, i.LINK digital output for computer connect and faster download, and analog to digital conversion.

Now I admit I'm not the most educated when it comes to cameras, or the editing process for that matter. That's partly the reason I'm getting a friend to help out with the editing.

If I get the Digital 8 will I need to purchase any addition EQUIPMENT or SOFTWARE for transferring the footage from the camera to my computer for editing?

Any other comments regarding this would help me greatly. Thanks, this will be my first fan film, so I'll be looking for a lot of opinions and help

5. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    You will need a firewire port on your computer. If you have a Mac G3/G4, you are good to go. If you have a PC, more than likely you'll need to buy a capture card.

Premiere can capture footage directly from the camera. That is how I do it on my Mac G4.

Azeem
    TFN FanFilms

6. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    I have a PC, but don't have a capture card. But if I have Premiere can I still capture the footage straight from the camera, or does that still involve the capture card? Ah, it most likely does.

So what's a good capture card out there to purchase?

7. Tokugawa

Tokugawa Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2000
    The Firewire port is a two-way 'capture device'. You can upload all your footage to your computer with it, edit it, and put the edited footage back onto a tape in your camera. Or you could take that edited footage, compress it, and post it on the net for everyone to see. If your computer does not have an IEEE1394 port, then you will need to buy a capture card. Best Buy sells some that are around $100. They will include editing software, but you have premiere, so you should be set.

8. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Cool, thanks for the advice.

9. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Hey, cool this is still here. Granted it was on page 19, but it's still here. I'm feeling rather, Saucy today, so I think I'll bring this up to the top.

10. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    You gonna write any more?

11. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    ...I mean, like...another story type of thing.

12. Grand Admiral Reese

Grand Admiral Reese Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 1, 1999
    I think this thread should stay with us after the change. To the Top!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.