Trials of the Force: Episode 3- Destiny's Knights

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Grand_Admiral_Jaxx, Apr 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rokangus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow...yeah Whiskey and Casper really hit it upon the nose...not what we expected but something that totally works! :D

Yeah, I too was expecting Turu to do exactly what he said, blow himself in order to get Dulcie and Mephy. Didn't see trai'el coming into this at all...and apparently neither did the bad guys! [face_laugh]

The battle between Trai'el and Dulcie rocked...well it appears we've finally found our match for a Sith Maiden, some fast and flying that hits like a ton of bricks. [face_devil]

Yes, I guess we'll definitely be seeing more of Dulcie and Stan...but I think that really was the end of Mephy there. Judging by everything Jaxx has been trying to lead up to, Mephisto was truly Arcturus' nemesis. While it would be cool to see Mephy return to cause more havoc, I think when Jaxx tells us he's wraping up Turu's end of the saga, it entails that Turu has finally bested his nemesis.

Then again...bested doesn't always entail death...maybe there wil be more Mephy in the future... [face_devil]

SPAPTACULAR, SPAPTACULAR!!!! :D
  2. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad you all enjoyed the Arcturus-Mephisto climax- that took Jaxx a very long time to plan and not very long to write (the last few posts). It was just one of those scenes that he knew how he wanted it written, so gotta tip the hat to him. Mephisto was most definitely Arcturus's match from hell and ultimate nemesis, so we had to have one hell of a final battle for him, right? As for the future of the stories, more on that later.

My final battle post- probably the last battle post on TheForce.net- will come tomorrow. So I hope everyone pays attention. The final confrontation between Jace, Kelli and Tyrus is at hand.

excal
  3. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    Given all Tyrus has done to Jace and Kelli over the years and through the entire TOTF saga, I can only wring my hands in anticipation of this one.

I'm gonna rant a little more about Jaxx's last battle post too, now that I have some time away from work and I'm not bleary-eyed from being awake too long.

Seeing Turu there, ready and willing to martyr himself for the purpose of ending this whole conflict and wiping out at least part of the Sith menace was stirring. In truth, Trai'el's entrance into the finale of this battle was a surprise. I'm glad she showed up, though. Turu's kinda growing on me, as is Jace, and it'd be a shame to see either one of them fall.

Dulcie, for her part, has escaped for now, but with two Jedi, a Valeran, a Dark Force sorcerer, and Hrunting's <sp> people on her back, I don't think even Korriban would be a haven for her.

As for Mephisto, if he was in the Hunger when it was destroyed, then it was because he finally realized that he could never truly beat Arcturus Lynx in any kind of fight, fair or otherwise. Or, I'm speculating that perhaps Timil Birch finally got some sense knocked into him, as only a Valeran supersonic body check could do, and used his one moment of clarity to end his tortured existence.

I was thinking that maybe Stan and Mephisto had switched ships, but for her part, I think Dulcie would prefer keeping the docile one around until it was time to procreate, thereby perhaps rebuilding the Sith Maidens in a somewhat identical, albeit corrupted form of its past.

The post was great in that it offered a lot of closure for now, but still left enough questions unanswered to prompt speculation for now, or perhaps give us some form of epilogue to look forward to.

I guess we'll see...
  4. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well...this is it. I really don't know how to conclude the battle posts of Trials of the Force...the story is winding down (and we're almost to the magic 2000 mark)...it was so much fun writing this. I mean, Jaxx and I both will admit we scared each ourselves writing portions, and other times we had to question who should die. I keep thinking this is the end, but in actuality, this is only the beginning of this tale. Again, more later. But for now, enjoy the final battle between good and evil. Jace and Kelli take on Tyrus one last time.
    It's been a pleasure.

excal

Kellilyn parried his first roundhouse swing easily and was shocked at how much the Dark Jedi?s skill had disappeared. It was as though the body was no long controlled by the mind, and that this was just a clone of Tyrus Spectre.

?Jace?? she asked as she battered the Dark Jedi backwards with two consecutive overhead smashes.

?What?? Jace answered as he ducked quickly beneath a wild swing at his head.

This swing was then intercepted by Kellilyn who battered the sword aside and swung mightily with her fist, connecting with the Dark Jedi?s stomach.

?Does this seem to easy to you?? Kelli asked. She leapt over a quick cut at her ankles, which Jace stopped with a low block.

?The Dark Side has taken control of him. I was told it would destroy him in time? the Ring can no longer hold it in check- in fact, it?s been feeding his fantasies, giving him advice, false hopes? ? Jace said, locking blades with Spectre one last time before allowing Kelli to swing one last time, her blue-green blade cleaving their enemy?s hilt in half. A simple chambered kick sent Spectre sprawling onto the balcony where Jace landed three times earlier.

Jace and Kelli took no chances, as they trained their sword tips on the fallen Dark Jedi?s throat. The couple looked at each other and nodded, relieved.

Spectre writhed and growled, attempting move away from the glowing energy blades of the lightsabers, but his feet only pushed him harder against the ivory banister.

The sight before them was quite different from when Jace had been held to look upon the armies of Tyrus Spectre. Chaos now reigned in the Fortress Dathomir. The slaves- Jace?s people- were freed at last from their mental servitude. Once Tyrus had lost his wits, Jace surmised, he had also lost his grip on their minds. After all, it had required great concentration to maintain control of thousands.

?Will you kill me now? Great Jedi? Corsaire the Bold and Pendragon the Noble?? Spectre croaked.

?No, Tyrus. You don?t need death. You need help,? Jace said through grit teeth. The Light Side of the Force flowed through him and he knew that his words were true.

?No?!? Tyrus said in disbelief. ?No?? he said again, more softly this time, allowing this to sink in.

?For all the wrongs you have done, we shouldn?t give it another thought, Tyrus. But we aren?t like you. Don?t you remember what you were taught at the Academy when you were younger? The Code?? Kellilyn asked.

And suddenly, Tyrus remembered all of the lessons he had been instructed in as a boy. The concepts that a Jedi should be sworn to valor. At one time, he had sworn his life to this. But now?could he ever turn back?

A knight was sworn to valor- to be the champion of the widow and the fatherless and to take nothing from the people around him. Above all he was to keep his honor and defend the land.

Tyrus Spectre had once been such a knight. He had once been the son of a widow and he was indeed a fatherless child. He had once had honor and took great joy in being one of the few capable of defending and protecting the land, heir to a rich tradition. What greater joy had there been than to see the look in the eye of a youth who was facing death only to see a brave and dashing knight with a glittering sword appear to save the day? Could there have been anything better than to see the look of gratitude in a rescued woman?s eye?

Where had he gone wrong? Why had he gone astray?

Spectre felt a great swell of pity rise up in his heart- fo
  5. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Force Ghost

star 5
    Well guys, I know it was not what you expected. I know you're surprised at what I did...and that was my intention.

While I was writing the beginning parts of the story, I was wondering how I would end it.

To tell the truth, I never thought of Dulcie being a Sith Maiden. I kept her intentions honorable, until I wrote the scene where she cornered Lol. I was actualling planning on killing them both, having Mephisto kill even more people. Sudden inspiration had me pen in the line, "Get back to work," by Dulcie.

That led to the climax. So I got to thinking and sort of threw some twists and turns as I went along...but I wondered how I would end it. I knew I couldn't do it by conventional means, so I struggled to come up with a relatively suitable ending. While I was kind of hesitant not to give Arcturus the final say on things, I felt his emotional impact and the lightning bolt before would be enough. Thus, Trai'el came in. That little part came to me when I was driving on my way to school, actually. I kept thinking and thinking, and finally, I asked myself, "Who is Arcturus" "Who is Mazza" "Who is Hrunting" "Who is Trai'el"

Then I realized...it's not who Trai'el is...but what she is. Thus, the line "Flying green monster" was born. Then I realized I had an ending.

I know it's not what you expected (or probably hoped for ;)), but there is more in store for Arcturus. Again, as excal has said, more on that later.

Thanks for the awesome replies, guys! This has really helped push me forward with my writing.
  6. Mystic_Tigress_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    As always, I come at the turn of the tide. Where battle and hatred once stood, an everlasting silence in peace is raised. Through fear and despair, the blinding light of hope radiates in the darkness. When it seems that there is no escape from evils that are faced, a ray of hope comes from the emptiness of uncertainty. Our heroes faced their last trials- and through near impossible challanges, they complete their journey as victors of unity and righteousness.

Final Battle- Arcturus
    After an admirable fight, Arcturus seemed close to the edge. I marveled at his thoughts of utter selflessness when it seemed his opponents could only be defeated by the only means he had left... even if it meant self- sacrifice. However, I could not help but smile when the "flying green monster" (one of my favorite characters) proved her loyalty and devotion to her comrades and assisted Turu in his time of need. Finally, seeing Arcturus and Mazza safely together again allows the story to come full circle for the two characters.

Bravo... not only for this post, but the entirety of the tale.

Final Battle- Jace and Kellilyn
    Ah... to bask in the glory of a long- awaited victory. Jace and Kellilyn can only work together to end the treachery of the tyrant Tyrus. When the dynamic duo attempts to show the evil man compassion by letting him be, we all hope with them that he will come back to the light. But, stubborn in the ways of darkness, Spectre tries a powerful yet futile final attack. It is at this point we realize there is no last solution for Jace and Kelli but to conjure all they have in unity to destroy their nemesis once and for all. As they spoke the code line by line together, you can feel the swelling surge of the one power of two people. As great perils are passed, we all watch vicariously as the face of triumph can finally be savored.

Thanks for the incredible ride, even if I wasn't there for it all.

-MTJ-
  7. Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost

star 6
    It is very, very difficult to end something big.

That's a truth that can't be twisted, ignored, or otherwise. Its so true in writing, and when you write alot of stuff it becomes all the more challenging and a requirement to end it correctly to properly close this wide open birth. It is even more daunting when you put something large within the bigger picture because now you got TWO BIG THINGS to wrap up with one sheet of Christmas Paper.

But you two have handled it well. :)

Its easy to do the easy, or very well known way, of an ending. So the question becomes why do it? Live by the creedo of the Squirels like I do: do it, and do something that really no one else is doing, or if it is word it to where its not so predictable. If this is the very ending, or close to the ending, then you have all ready properly augmented it by having such great action and even greater struggle. As I noted recently in a thread I won't dare mention for it would be pandering on my part (winks), but I told a poster that in order for a deed to be truly heroic the odds must be overwhelming for them to overcome; in short it can't be that easy overall. You had, what, at least a hundred story posts of struggle? That alone justifies the solutions. Good job.

FORWARD!
  8. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    Comments to be held for later...at least til everyone else checks in :)

A quote pertinent to the story-

"One part of your journey is over- another begins!"- Gandalf the White, The Two Towers

excal
  9. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
  10. Rokangus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wow...

...Wow...

...Wow...

...Wow...

I must admit, I'm in a bit of denial...after about three years of reading stories about Jace, Turu, Kelli, and Mazza, it's hard to believe that it has finally reached a culmination...

Yet as both you two have pointed out, it's not the end, but simply the beginning of a brand new chapter...and all I can say is Wow! I totally can't wait to see where you guys go from here!

The end of Jace and Kelli's saga was very poignant, the classic good versus evil confrontation handled in such a very vivid and original way. Major kudos, Excal. ;)

11. Mystic_Tigress_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
  12. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    That ending was stunning, Excal. Nice work. :D

It's interesting to watch just how some writers interpret the Force and speculate on its abilities. In the movies, we've seen what I consider to be a subtle undertone of it being used...but used the same way one would wield a blaster or even breathe.

But in truth, this is the very thing that runs the galaxy...the entire galaxy of billions of stars...all controlled by the very Force that the Jedi can tap into when they need to. It only makes sense that for a chosen few, the Force could be channelled with such a degree that those who stand before it would finally see a small glimpse of the great galactic engine that is the Force.

Spectre no doubt finally saw just how awesome the power was just before he was turned into ashtray dust, and now Jace and Kelli also have an idea of what it is they serve...and how it can serve them when necessary.

Yep, no doubt about it: These four heroes are a collection of badasses if I've ever seen any. Guess it says a lot about the writers, too ;)

UP!
  13. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Force Ghost

star 5
    :)

We're down to our final four posts. I have the first, then excal has the next two, and I the last. Here's how these posts went--it was in the spirit of true collaboration--excal and I actually talked over what would be written. We went over almost every line. I wrote the rough draft after we talked about specifics, then excal polished it up after me, adding touches here and there, stuff that I forgot, the like. Then we finalized it together.

But stick around! After these posts, we have much, much more to do for all y'all. ;)

ps--I TOLD you all that one of my quiz answers would actually come true!!

----

The four heroes trembled in horror and quavered in anticipation as they gazed upon the terrible scene which unfolded unbeknowst to the veterans of warfare. The Jedi and President wondered how the galaxy had gone so wrong. Mass hysteria, riots, brawls and violence all ran rampant throughout the labyrinth of the city. Tiny, frenzied barbarians; savage in their demeanor and ruthless in their ways, ran amock throughout the urban sprawl.

With bloodshot eyes and foaming mouths, the furry, miniscule monsters threw razor-sharp spears and hurled rocks of such massive weight. With ferocious accuracy, many citizens were slain in the wake of the carnage.

There were many screams in the night. ?The conquerers are coming!?

?The apocalypse is here!?

?Repent, sinners, for your hour of judgement has come!?

?Run! It?s the KILLER EWOKS!?

Another voice rang out in the night. But this voice was clear and cutting, filled with dripping sarcasm and disdain. ?What the hell are we watching??

?Jace,? another voice replied somberly, ?this... is a holo-vid of epic proportions. With amazing acting and mind-blowing special effects, The Rabid Killer Ewoks from Outer Space is simply...awesome.?

?I think not,? another voice replied, just as cutting as Jace?s. ?Have you gone mad, Arcturus? Did Mephisto give you a lobotomy??

?Kelli, you have too little faith in my husband?s ability to pick out movies,? a silky voice replied in the darkness. ?After all, this movie is rather lighthearted. It does give us a much needed laugh. A shining beacon in the darkness that has-?

?Mazza, shut up.?

?Kelli, don?t tell my wife to shut up.?

A long, exasperated sigh erupted as Jace fidgeted in his chair. He raised his hands to his sides, palms upward, in a thoughtful gesture, then asked, ?How... did this... ?movie? ever get made??

?Jace,? Arcturus replied with a shrill tone, getting upset that everyone was criticizing his rather... poor choice in film, ?this movie is a classic! Moreover, it?s a cult classic. Just like your favorite film, Montana Smith and the Cathedral of Death.?

?Don?t knock Montana Smith.? Jace stood then pointed his finger first at Arcturus, then at the screen. The unfolding destruction behind him was a strange and disturbing (yet altogether comical) backdrop as Pendragon gave his colleage a stern warning, ?You simply cannot compare the two. It is... incomprehensible. Inconceivable. IMPOSSIBLE!?

?And besides,? Kelli added, ?it?s just not right.?

?Hey,? Mazza cut in, ?we were here to have some fun. Half the fun of these movies are, well, making fun of them.?

Arcturus leaned back triumphantly. He knew neither Jace nor Kelli could argue with that statement. ?Jace, sit down. Eat your popcorn. Drink your Morning Mist soda and calm down.?

Jace sat down and took another sip of the slightly greenish drink. He and Arcturus looked at each other, and they both knew, for that brief and shining moment... all was right with the galaxy.

They leaned back and watched as Ewoks continued the mass slaughter of humanity, and the pillage and burning of Coruscant.
  14. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Master

star 4
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! [face_laugh]

YUB YUB! <CRUNCH!> [face_devil]

Ok, my morning's off to a flying start now :D
  15. Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost

star 6
    LOL! ROTFLMAOKOTFTCATOTB! :p

I'm going to the video store right now! Beware the Ewoks! [face_laugh]
  16. Padawan_Di-Lee Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! Killer Ewoks!!

There for a second I thought they were still on Dathomir. What a slick way to leave the battle field, putting them in a movie theater.

Incredible battle choreography, and epic conclusions. But now I have to admit, I was feeling a little sorry for Spectre at the end. His madness consumed him, utterly. Still, I don't think he was really ever redeemable. His decision to follow the darkside was too consciously made & reaffirmed, born of hatred, jealousy and vengeance.

So now it will be interesting to see how you leave our heroes. Somehow I can't see them just settling in for the quiet life...
  17. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, first off, I'm glad you all enjoyed the finale for Jace, Kelli and Arcturus. I hope it met your expectations. I tried to make it as dramatic and emotionally trying as possible. Hopefully I succeeded in getting the vision in my head down in words.

Casper- No, it wasn't easy to finish something so big. But if we were going to finish this, we wanted to finish it the way we envisioned it: grand and packed with emotional and physical power. I especially wanted the mental battle to kind of outshine the actual physical fight in Jace's case. We built this up from the first story, and it came a long way.

Rok- Thanks so much for the praise. I'm glad that you used the words vivid and original, because those were the exact things I was shooting for. I wanted something no one had tried, something that you could almost see filmed. And judging by the number of Wows, I think the mission was accomplished- for the whole climax. :)

Whiskey- That was another big thing: I wanted to show the use of the Force in a way that would be totally different from the movies. I wanted it to be cleansing, and in a way, menacing in its purity. You're absolutely right, Spectre probably pissed himself when he realized the awesome power behind it. I based his revelations at the end off of Tom Clancy's Patriot Games ending, where Jack doesn't actually kill Sean, and Sean remembers all of his church teachings as a boy. That kind of momentary pause before realizing just how mistaken he is. BTW, loved the ashtray comment. I have to write that down in my quote book, lol. But my favorite comment so far?

"Yep, no doubt about it: These four heroes are a collection of badasses if I've ever seen any. Guess it says a lot about the writers, too."

Heeeeeells yeah! As Arcturus/me/Jaxx say, sometimes you're lucky, and sometimes you're just that damn good ;)

And as for the latest post...

WE TOLD YOU SO!

RUN! IT'S THE KILLER EWOKS!!!!!

Jaxx and I had SOOOOO much fun writing that post. Wayyyy too amusing. We rarely teamed up to write the post word by word together, but this was one occasion. And for the uninitiated, the conversation between the guys and gals- that's a typical movie conversation between Jaxx and I, and some of our friends. The Montana Smith connection ring any bells to people who know me? ;)

Post coming up soon! We'll call it the reader's treat- you're all gonna have fun with it.

excal

18. Mystic_Tigress_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I knew it!!! It WAS the killer ewoks!!!!
    Now, all my dreams have come true :D !

That was one especially profound post. The only time of hilarity that is not followed by a major fight scene... just... perfect. i think I will be laughing for a day or two.

MTJ
  19. Rokangus Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Dude! Killer Ewoks, man...an untapped resource for indomitable doom! I think even Trogdor and all his powers of Burnination would take pause before the awesome sheerness of destructitude that is the "Swarm".

Whew! Okay, I had to get that out of my system. I can't remember what I predicted would come true...but I don't think I called this one...then again I am pretty bad at these types of guessing games. <shrugs>

Sweet post, guys, way to break the tension after a series of monumentally critical and dramatic posts. Can't wait to see how you tie up the rest of the series! :D
  20. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Force Ghost

star 5
    Dude! Trogdor! He is awesome! The power to burninate is super.

Easy, Excal, don't steal my "sometimes you're just lucky, sometimes you're that damn good" line ;) But he is right--I remember having more fun writing these last posts with him than while we wrote our usual movie reviews. (although some reviews were damn fun to write, this takes the cake). It is a homage to all of our readers, so when he posts this, read carefully.

Excal--I'll tell you this in person as well, but it was a lot of fun (and most definitely worth) doing this with you. I can't imagine a better partner in crime, for writing and otherwise. Thanks, bud, for helping me push my writing to a new level. Now let's take it all the way to the top.
  21. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Force Ghost

star 5
    Forward!!! To da top of da lot!

Excal, whenever you're ready ;)
  22. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    ?PAAAAAAAAAAART-AAAAAAAAAAAY!? Grand Admiral Jaxx bellowed. ?This will be a night to remember,? Jaxx babbled on excitedly to Xerxes.

They were early, of course.

It was a strange homecoming for Acturus and Jace. It had been eight years between visits to The Pirate?s Cove, and to the friends, it seemed both an eternity and a blink of the eye in time. It was there where Arcturus and Jace had first met, and while they had grown up considerably since that fateful first day, Arcturus?s reaction to the bar?s Neon-lit sign was the same- a deep, frowning scowl.

?It was privateers that saved this planet, not pirates,? he muttered.

?Let it go, buddy. Just let it go,? Jace said, consoling his friend. Some things, he thought, would never change. Thankfully.

?I cannot let it go,? Arcturus said, his voice rising steadily. ?These ungrateful MORONS DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT-?

smack

Kelli had taken her open palm and hit Arcturus in the back of his head as hard as possible. Arcturus stumbled forward and turned, and stared daggers at the female.

?Mazza, beat her up for me.?

Mazza smiled sweetly and said, ?Better yet, I?ll get the Senate to rename this place.? Arcturus smiled triumphantly and turned, then Mazza leaned to Kelli and whispered, ?not.?

The two heroes, accompanied by Kelli and Mazza, trailed behind Jaxx and Xerxes into the dimly lit dive. Arcturus and Jace smiled at Jaxx, only half-listening to him as he went on. Jaxx turned and said, ?I met you fellas in this place when I was drunk, and that?s how I plan on leaving this place.?

?Jaxx,? Arcturus said, ?I have no doubt you?ll achieve your goals. You always do.? The others smiled at Arcturus while Xerxes threw a strangled and frustrated groan at Lynx.

?Sober!? Xerxes hissed.

?Wha??? Jaxx turned, his mouth slack.

?If you leave sober, I?ll give you a raise.?

?I don?t need a raise.?

?Then I?ll...? Xerxes? voice trailed as he struggled to think of an incentive.

There was none.

?I?ll buy ya a round, mm?kay?? Jaxx threw his arm around Xerxes?s shoulders good naturedly. ?C?mon, I?ll getcha to loosen up.?

Arcturus knew that, somehow, Jaxx would achieve success in that goal as well.

Well, one down, two more to go. The countdown clock ticks on....

excal
  23. excalibur2358 Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, just as the Pendragonian luck changes for our hero in the stories, it appears the cosmic flux has shifted his negative karma onto his namesake. Sigh. Figures. I guess I gotta give myself credit- even when I fail at getting the girl, I end up setting her up with someone else and boosting her self esteem. I just wish I didn't have to lose out every time. But since my failure, I've helped a half dozen people with their troubles. What would my friends do without me...well, actually, I know what. They'd go to real therapists and the money raked in by psychologists and psychiatrists would go through the roof. ;) Jaxx has scored some tickets somehow (as did my youngest sister) and is currently off seeing Jay Leno (he is visiting our town) so he won't be around just yet. So here I sit. Eagerly awaiting the posts and less than eagerly awaiting my last story post on the boards. What a week.

excal

Up, up and away...!
  24. Mystic_Tigress_Jedi Jedi Knight

star 1
    A quick little post from me.

Good post, good times. Looks like the group can finally have a little fun after a big victory.

So, up!

MTJ
  25. Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost

star 6
    Ah yeah: now its slouch time! :D

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRPPPP!!!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.