main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Trigger warnings

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Sep 14, 2014.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    What's up with this all of a sudden? I do get it, telling people who were sexually assaulted that something that talks about accounts of rape and molestation may not be good for them, or those with PTSD depictions of war might bring back bad memories, but where does it end? Adding trigger warnings to Three Stooges films for those who wince at eye injuries?

Ever since the car crash I was in a few years back, I get nervous at those who are driving erratically, and the car crash gun battle scenes on the Washington D.C. highways in Captain America The Winter Solider kind of bought those feelings back (but not to the movie's detriment). Should they have put a trigger warning in front of that movie for people like me? You see where I'm getting at, do you?

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Trigger warning: mansplaining

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Considering trauma triggers are usually personal, individual and completely unpredictable, they tend to be useless.

Plus, what's their real purpose? I can see they were originally created to be useful in discussion places that mostly feature "damaged" people, be it self-help forums or blogs directed to victims of abuse. But if we accept they rarely work as intended, why are they so popular? Are just a mindless tool used to look good while saying "look, I care about the real things"? Or worse, are they just another tool for editorializing and setting the tone of the debate before any consent can be reached? I feel disconfort at a tool that basically helps you discard one side's argument without even hearing it. I'm firmly left-wing and I see that most people using TWs fall on my side of the political spectrum (on the other side they probably post "man up and eat some bacon" warningsor something). Everytime I see one of my comrades using a TW, I die a little inside and step a little farther to the left.

mrsvos and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
  5. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    If it is that bad you should be more focused on going to therapy to help you through your problems than being pressed about seeing Captain America.

6. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    it's stupid as **** and people need to grow a thicker skin.

TahiriVeilaSolo69 likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't really see the trigger warnings until recently. I thought it was weird for reasons mentioned above, but it didn't really bother me as long as it actually helps someone.

FamousAmos and Healer_Leona like this.
  8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Personally I don't think it's any more stupid than the MPAA and ESRB ratings.

Healer_Leona and Juliet316 like this.
  9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I mostly see trigger warnings used sardonically, so.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I've seen it used in the place of a normal caveat about heavy subject matter. It's less subtle but I guess it works.

Also I don't think anyone's really wanting to put a trigger warning on a Three Stooges movie, so you can rest easy on that one.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I have no problem with trigger warnings in general -- as they are a useful item for some people and cost basically nothing in order to put them in and warn people.

Where I start to get upset is where trigger warnings are provided and then people attempt to get those things changed especially in academic settings, which is happening more these days (if news reports are to be believed, of course).

But, again in general, there should be nothing wrong with using trigger warnings; it's the epitome of "can't hurt, can help" even if it doesn't actually help.

12. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i went to a trans support group once and somebody used the phrase "trigger warning." in an actual conversation. and i don't think they felt stupid doing it. even though they were.

they also followed that nonsense up with phrases like "preferred gender pronoun."

i haven't gone back.

13. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    We should try to get TW to mean Tunick Warning. It would be a nice tag to add to threads.

Lord Vivec and dp4m like this.
  14. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't have a problem with them as long as people are being forced to use them. I also think it depends on the circumstances. With a movie you're planning to see, you can research it ahead of time and prepare yourself. If you're scrolling along your dash on tumblr, it's a lot less predictable and harder to prepare yourself (which sometimes is all someone wants -- to have some warning before they look). For my part I don't mind tagging really obvious stuff like violence or gore as a courtesy.

Juliet316 and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If it helps, I say keep it.

16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

An excellent idea that should be immediately implemented!

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Trigger warnings trigger me.

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I don't understand why anybody would be mad about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Penguinator likes this.
  19. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    i get how people with ptsd would have certain "triggers". what annoys me are those tumblr *****es who gets all "i'm getting triggered!!!11!one!1!" when someone posts a picture of a salad or a "privileged white male" or sumthin

i guess it's just like anything else in that sense--as soon as tumblr gets their hands on it, it's ruined.

or maybe the thought of tumblr is my trigger, idk

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Exactly this.

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I've never heard of any one thanking a TW for managing to sidestep a psychotic break. I've heard maaaaany people (apparently) reading through posts with "TW: racism" and agreeing "that's so racist!".

22. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    zapados I feel like the problem here is that you read tumbr.

23. Zapdos

Jan 7, 2013
    no but i've subscribed to a bunch of hateful, angry subreddits where tumblr is often mentioned

24. PRENNTACULAR

Dec 21, 2005
    I love reddit

25. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    #tw:transphobia