main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

trip to Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Archive: Scotland' started by veritasuk, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

I'm hoping you Edinburgh lot can help me out with some local knowledge.

I'm planning on visiting your city for the first time sept 1-3 . Being a paranormal fiend I would really love to stay in a haunted / inn/ hotel /pub . For obvious reasons people dont like to advertise they have ghosts and its quite hard to find a place that openly will say so. I was wondering if you know of any place we can stay with a ghostie in Edinburgh.?

thanks guys

2. JED1

JED1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 1998
    The only hotel I know of that's supposed to have a ghost is the Jarvis Learmonth

http://uk.holidaysguide.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-118858-jarvis_learmonth_edinburgh-i

As for a spooky meal though, you can't get much better than here! You can also stay too in gothic splendour!

http://www.thewitchery.com/home.html

And this is just awesome (I saw a ghost here, honest! )

http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/about.htm

Hope I've helped!

3. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004

Cheers.

may manage a meal at the witchery, but I'll have to wait for my numbers to come up before i can afford to stay there! It is gorgeous tho.

V

4. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    Have a great trip veritasuk. :D

I too will be in Edinburgh but not until October. I'm absolutely thrilled to be finally visiting a country I've dreamed of seeing. We'll also be traveling to Inverness so if anyone has any advice, whatever, please post it. I do have a question about travelers checks. Are they universally accepted or do I need just cash/credit card?

Thanks! :D

5. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    Arriss, some Inverness info here http://www.visitscotland.com/aboutscotland/cities/cityofinverness

and cash and credit cards will do just fine! You should also consider taking a trip to Scotland's greatest city, Glasgow, too!! I'm not biased or anything! lol!

http://www.visitscotland.com/aboutscotland/cities/cityofglasgow?view=links

6. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thank you, Jed1!! :D Unfortunately, I won't make it to Glasgow on this trip :( but I have a feeling this won't be my only trip to gorgeous Scotland. Thanks for the Inverness link, I already had that one bookmarked. [face_blush]

Ok, so of course cash/CC are good but that still leaves the question about Travelers checks and if I should even bother w/them if they won't be accepted. Any insight on that one??? :confused: [face_thinking]

OMG - the Witchery looks fabulous. =P~ I may not get a chance to eat there but I'd really like to at least tour it.

7. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I think most people are not 100% sure about travellers checks since we don't usually need em here at home. I have done a little checking, so far as I can see, you should have no problems. Anyone else know any different?

8. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    The Witchery is AWESOME! I've eaten there twice and it really is a great experience. Make sure you get a table in the inside room and not the garden area...the atmosphere is better.

9. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    One more question. Should I wait until I get into Scotland before I exchange my money? Would it make that much difference if I did it here in the states right before I left? :confused: :oops:

10. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    What I used to do was convert a couple hundred dollars into UK pounds here in the US before I left (usually at American Express Travel...best rate) and then once I was over there I used my bank card at ATM's. You get the exact minute exchange rates and it's really easy and you don't have to carry lots of cash around.

11. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks Meriwyn. :D

12. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Make sure to keep at least a 1 pound note back though, as you can't get them in England, only Scotland :p

13. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    you can't get pound notes in Scotland either these days - you've been gone far far too long :p

I wouldn't change too much money as everywhere will take your debit/ATM cards, and your credit card too. It's worth checking with your bank about potential charges for taking money out abroad, but it usually isn't expensive, and is actually a much safer method.

When I lived in the USA, and travelled home to the UK my bank charged me 75c per transaction for taking money out of a British ATM. If you take £100 to last a weekend the 'charge' is less than 0.5% which is way way less than the charge at a TravelEx etc.

Furthermore, post offices in the UK will change money for free so you can always use those.

14. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm sure they were still there when I went up in 2001.

15. I had a pound note a few months ago :)

16. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks for the tips everyone! [:D]

How about the weather? I'm trying to figure out how much to pack and how heavy the clothes should be. I've looked on weather.com and 50's and 60's (Fahrenheit) are nice but it also depends on where you are. In some places that can be alot colder because of the wind. Any helpful hints on that? :confused:

Oh, and before I forget - yeah, another question. 8-} I'm trying to figure out if I should get a converter and adapter for my hair dryer (I have to have one) or try and buy one when I get there. I found one on Amazon.com that has dual voltage but it doesn't say what voltage it is. Can anyone recommend something? [face_praying] I need to know soon so I can buy whichever one I need. Thanks!!!

17. Cobranaconda

Mar 3, 2004
    Get an adapter. It's cheaper. Of course, trying to ramp 120v up to 230v is probably going to break something, but buying a new hairdryer will cost more :p

18. Arriss

Jun 1, 2002
    Thanks. :) I did buy one. I just hope it doesn't blow up on me when I try to use it. :p

19. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...I actually worked at the Learmonth back in 1988 for some time and 'lived in' there....theres definately no ghost there my friend....

20. JED1

Dec 16, 1998
    I guess it just goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you read!

http://www.scotlandforvisitors.com/haunted.php

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.