Trip to London, help needed!

Discussion in 'London UK' started by Mitt, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    I stayed at the Youth Hostel near Earls Court. Not sure if it's still there or not but all I can say is watch your stuff carefully. I had one piece of my luggage stolen there once and their video cameras were not working properly. Just static! :(

But as far as theatre...I don't care much for musicals personally. I love movies. Plays..so so...but love ballet and orchestral concerts. Opera is so so.

I wouldn't mind hitting the pub Sunday night and catching a movie. I don't need to do all the tourist stuff to have a great time in London. :p

Keith
  2. Rogue4809 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I must admit that I love live Theater. And London is known for its live Theater. It would be a shame to go all that way and not see a show. After all - I can see a movie here anytime I want.

And what's the fun of being a tourist in a new city and not doing all the tourist stuff!
  3. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    Already done a lot of the tourist stuff already. Besides, the tourist stuff usually bores me. I can see a lot of that stuff in pictures. :) Seeing in person realy doesn't excite me much unless it's something like the pyramids in Egypt. Now that would rock. :)

Keith
  4. Stormtrooper_fan Force Ghost

star 5
    There's a few links on our website now, on the Tourism page, I HOPE they'll be helpful to you :)

The Rebel's Senate
  5. Thraxwhirl Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Mitt. you mentioned that you're interested in history, yes?

I have three words for you, which I can't believe no one else has mentioned:

Imperial.War.Museum.

:) :D
  6. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    One month and 8 days to go! :) So you guys interested in getting together on the 9th of May for a movie or something?

Keith
  7. Yoshee RSA FFUK/EUROPE, CR Emeritus: London

Manager
    star 6
    Well, i am for sure. I'll threaten the others to come too [face_mischief] :p
  8. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    That would be great. At least in England I don't have to worry about sub-titles if we were to go to a movie. haha. :)

Keith
  9. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6
    IWM is awesome... the Holocost exhibit is painful but a must see, especially if you've never seen such a thing up close. (I never had until I went.. pictures yes, artifacts no...) I remember being alternately repulsed, horrified and on the verge of hysterical giggles as I tried to wrap my mind around the fact that the things such as the calipers (used to mesure people's heads to see if they were 'aryan' or not).

Also, as my dad was with Bomber command (a Lanc pilot) I have to say 'hello' to "old Fred"...

The "Blitz experiance"... I got to 'experiance' what my family went through (at least my Gran who stayed in London when my mum and her siblings were evacuated.

Also, get out to the RAF museum in Hendon... For me though, that place is a money magnet...the gorgeous prints of the aircraft...
  10. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    One month and counting for me!So Yoshee..I suppose I should get your contact information so I can give you a ring once I get into town? :) I may not have internet access while I'm there cause the cost of those internet cafes is pretty bad..at least in Paris it's expensive. I'm not quite sure which hotel I'm staying at either.

Any ideas on where we could meet up? I'm also willing to see a movie if everyone else is up for that. Sunday evening might be the best but I'm not quite sure.

Keith
  11. Yoshee RSA FFUK/EUROPE, CR Emeritus: London

Manager
    star 6
    I shall pm you my contact details asap :)

As for where to meet up, well, as soon as you have a rough idea where your staying, it will be easier to arrange ect.... :D

And i'm always up for a movie! :D
  12. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey I could stay anywhere in London for what that matters. I've traveled the Tube. :) So don't let my lack of a hotel yet deter us from finding a good place to eat and drink and get pissed. haha.

Got any movie theaters with bars? ;) We used to have some here in Richmond but they went out of business. I don't see why. Beer and movies makes total sense to me for some reason, especially if you have to listen to Jar Jar Binks for 2 hours.

Keith
  13. Rogue4809 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just returned from your fair city and I had a great time. London is beautiful. The food was great, the people were great, the buses were great, and the sites were great. You have a lovely city and should be proud.

Thank you all for you great advise. If you ever come this way - specifically Chicago - I would be happy to return the favor.

14. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Oi, Sarah, how come you didn't tell me you were coming this way ? I could have been your guide, or was meeting me once enough for you ?
  15. Yoshee RSA FFUK/EUROPE, CR Emeritus: London

Manager
    star 6
    Maybe she thought you were in Scotland too :p
  16. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Oi, Sarah, how come you didn't tell me you were coming this way ? I could have been your guide, or was meeting me once enough for you ?

malkied2!!!!!!!!!!! I did tell you! Do you remember posting in my thread in the JCC about it?
    No, meeting you once wasn't enough, including having you ignore me at the Metro. ;)
    Two more weeks, people!
    I am also looking for internet cafes or some place where I can get access to the net.
  17. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    bah, I'm sorry, I have a terrible memory :)

I totally didn't ignore you at the Metro - I was just completely in another world, and didn't realise it was you until after I got to work. I was convinced someone called my name out, but didn't actually believe myself.

Can you ever forgive me ?

I am also looking for internet cafes or some place where I can get access to the net.

There are loads of them in London to cater for all the tourists, exchange students and foreign work type people. My personal suggestion would be to use Easy Internet Cafe which have locations across London. They are super cheap, very fast, highly reliable and open 24hours.

Websitep

Locations in..............
    Baker Street
    Bayswater
    Camden
    Earl's Court
    Edmonton
    Enfield
    Fulham
    Kensington High Street
    Kilburn
    King's Road
    Oxford Street
    Piccadilly Circus
    Richmond
    Swiss Cottage
    Tottenham Court Road
    Trafalgar Square
    Victoria
  18. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    Well I just found out I'm arriving at 16:30 on the 9th (Sunday). I just need enough time to find my hotel and park my stuff then you guys wanna get together that evening for drinks/dinner? or would Monday be better?

Keith
  19. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    How cheap is cheap for those internet cafes? I am sure I'll need an internet fix by then. Those cafes in France aren't cheap at all. I noticed you can purchase time for 50p but how fast does it get used?
  20. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    by cheap, I mean CHEAP !

You buy a card from a dispensing machine to whatever value you like (minimum is 50p, which is about $1). IIRC that gives you an hour online. If you go in during off peak times you can stay all night for £1.

Anyways, yeah, its really cheap.
  21. keithabbott Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey that is real cheap. I'm surely going to get my fix in London. Too bad its right before I go home! Ick. Oh and if you had a choice of staying at the Paddington Hotel versus the Mornington Hotel which would you stay at? :)

Keith
  22. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    dunno, haven't heard of either of them - which ever is closer to a tube station
  23. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Of course I forgive you malkie, I was only teasing. :)
    I am staying in Russel Square, I forget the name of the hotel we finally got, only it starts with a T and is like around the corner from a tube station.
    I really only want to get online to send emails, although I don't know if I could really stay away from here. :D
  24. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Russel Square is very central - you can walk to loads of places from there. How long are you going to be here for that you can't bare to miss the internet ?
  25. Mitt Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Its not missing the internet, its missing my finacé. :(
    I'll be there about a week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.