main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Triple Crown Game: Third Leg - Belmont

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    What another horse game? Yeah, I'm a little obsessed, but better for you with more chances to win colors!!!

The Triple Crown is a series of three horse races run in May and June. In a series of races, each race is called a leg. The Kentucky Derby is first, the Preakness second, and the Belmont third. The best of the 3 year old Thoroughbreds in the world come to race against each other for the greatest prize in sports (lol).

How the game is played:

You will place your bets in here. You pick:
    -Win (First Place)
    -Place (Second Place)
    -Show (Third Place)

Post positions are not drawn until Thursday or Friday, and the best odds will go up at that time as well. You have until the race starts to post your choices here.

If you get the Winner right you get 24 hrs of colors.

Or...

Get the Win, Place, and Show right amassing 96 hrs of VIPship.

You can then choose to keep the hours saved until the next race and continue to add on to the number of hours you have colors.

Each race can start over on betting.

So Inty picks the Winner of the Kentucky Derby. He does not get the Place and Show right. He can have 24 hrs of VIPship or he can choose to save it for the Preakness. If he gets the Preakness winner right he can have 48 hrs of VIPship. If he saves it and gets the Belmont right he can have 72 hrs of VIPship.

If Inty picks the Win, Place, Show of the Derby he can have 96 hrs of VIPship. He can also choose to save the hours and pick the Preakness as well. If he does this and loses (doesn't pick Win, Place, Show) then he gets no hours of VIPship. If he picks the Win, Place, Show again, he gets 8 days of colors. Or he can choose to gamble and pick the Belmont. If he picks the Belmont Win, Place, Show (I'm taking him to Vegas!) then he gets to have 2 weeks of colors.

At any point the hours can be used up and restarted. So if he picks all three in the Derby, uses the colors, then picks the winner of the Preakness he gets another 24 hrs of VIPship.

Sounds more complicated than it is, but we can go over this as much as we need to so you understand when the time comes.

Here are the horses:

2010 Kentucky Derby Betting Odds
    1 Lookin at Lucky 9/2
    2 Icebox 18/1
    3 Noble's Promise 14/1
    4 Super Saver 14/1
    5 Line of David 35/1
    6 Stately Victor 35/1
    7 American Lion 22/1
    8 Deans Kitten 50/1
    9 Make Music For Me 50/1
    10 Paddy O'Prado 22/1
    11 Devil May Care 12/1
    12 Conveyance 16/1
    13 Jackson Bend 14/1
    14 Mission Impazible 16/1
    15 Discreetly Mine 45/1
    16 Awesome Act 10/1
    17 Dublin 14/1
    18 Backtalk 50/1
    19 Homeboykris 60/1
    20 Sidney's Candy 6-1

More information can be found here and here

Make you picks before the horses leave the gate on Saturday!

2. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Don't forget to get your picks in!

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Devil May Care
    Ice Box
    Awesome Act

4. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'll try to remember to look at this tonight...

5. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Dublin
    Awesome Act
    Lookin' at Lucky

6. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    American Lion
    Awesome Act
    Lookin At Lucky

7. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Win: Backtalk
    Place: Deans Kitten
    Show: Conveyance

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Should be good.

9. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Jackson Bend
    American Lion
    Dublin

10. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Win: Devil May Care
    Place: Awesome Act
    Show: Make Music For Me

11. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Win: Sidney's Candy
    Place: Lookin at Lucky
    Show: Discreetly Mine

12. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Ooh, nifty thread, Sey! :D I decided to snoop around some other forums I don't usually visit and happened upon the Arena because I know today is the Run for the Roses.

I was disappointed in Lookin' At Lucky's post draw when I heard the results. I was rooting for him and he's had a good season so far. That and Baffert's probably my favorite trainer for his antics alone. :p I'd also like to see Devil May Care in the winner's circle. The Derby's the only leg of the Crown to not have a girl in the winner's circle in recent years, and IMO Devil May Care isn't just there to represent. She's had a very good season as well.

Place: Awesome Act
    Show: Lookin' At Lucky

I can't wait for post time. I haven't missed a Derby since 1995. :D

13. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Welcome Bri!!!! Yeah I've been doing this for a few years now and its one of my favorite games. We'll pick all three legs of the Triple Crown so remember to come back!

As always, I'd love to see a filly win the Derby, but traditionally I've picked a Tiznow offspring to win in this game and I'll continue to do so as long as he's got one in the Derby. :)

14. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Place: Sidney's Candy
    Show: American Lion

My very uninformed picks :p

15. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Calvin does it again! Super Saver wins the Kentucky Derby!

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Starting to wonder how much is the horse and how much is Calvin Borel :p

When a jockey wins this much on different horses, you have to at least wonder :p

17. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Another outstanding race! :D :D

Super Saver may not have been a personal favorite of mine, but you certainly can't take anything away from him. He kept going from co-favorite to 2nd choice all day. And Calvin Borel! OMG! And good on Todd Pletcher for his first win.

I know you can never say never in a horse race, but I really don't think Lookin' At Lucky stood a chance. I wanted very much to be wrong, but what a horrible trip. Cut off right in the beginning, brushed right up against the rail, and never recovered. A shame. I thought Devil May Care was looking like she was going to come up pretty strong for a good part of it but didn't have enough to carry through to the finish line.

I love this sport! Definitely count me in for the Preakness in two weeks!

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm excited that Todd Pletcher finally won a Derby. He's done so well for himself and his owners over the last 10 years that it was definitely his time to win won. I'm also a huge fan of WinStar farm ever since I got to visit it 6 or 7 years ago and feed Tiznow a peppermint. I had the wrong WinStar horse for the Derby. :p

19. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Pletcher probably did get really sick of hearing what amounts to "0-24? Sad day" over and over again. :p

You've met Tiznow? Very cool! Sadly all of my experience with racing has been through the magic of television. I'll make it there some day!

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Win: Super Saver
    Place: Ice Box
    Show: Paddy O'Prado.

21. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    My horse came in last! I rulez. :cool:

(Congrats to the Super Saver team!)

22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'll post odds and jockeys later in the week!

Analysis from here

Aikenite: This Todd Pletcher trainee won the first race of his career last August and has since lost seven in a row. He finished second in the Derby Trial just a couple of weeks ago but you have to wonder whether this colt really wants to win against this level of competition.

Caracortado: This colt won five races in a row before finishing third and fourth in his last two races at Santa Anita Park. He likes to press the pace which should ensure that he's in a good position early on in the Preakness. His best races, however, have been on synthetic tracks so there is a bit of an unknown as to whether he will transfer that form to conventional dirt at Pimlico.

Dublin: He didn't run a horrible race in the Derby but still flattened out in the lane when it was time to really get going. It's been more than nine months since this horse has won, and he has yet to win a race running around two turns. His sire, Afleet Alex, could run all day; Dublin may be a horse that wants a little less ground.

First Dude: The second Dale Romans trainee in the field, First Dude finished 3rd in the Blue Grass and 5th in the Florida Derby earlier this spring. Like a lot of horses in this race, he's run fairly well on a number of occasions but he doesn't wow you. And he's never run big against top competition. He might be a little short on class in the Preakness.

Hurricane Ike: Won the Derby Trial under jockey Calvin Borel on a muddy track at Churchill Downs. Prior to that he was pretty much a sprinter and he's never won running around two turns. He's been a better horse since the connections got him off synthetics and onto dirt so it's possible he could take another step forward in the Preakness.

Jackson Bend: Nick Zito's colt made a big move in the middle stages of the Derby to pull within 2 3/4 lengths of the lead and then flattened out to finish almost 20 lengths back at the wire. That was the first time in his career that Jackson Bend didn't finish first or second, which certainly makes one think the colt has a better race in him.

Lookin At Lucky: The Derby favorite had the worst draw of all 20 horses two weeks ago and found a bunch of trouble all the way around the track. Trainer Bob Baffert waited until Monday to decide whether or not to enter Lucky this Saturday. That could have been gamesmanship on his part or he could have really been uncertain as to whether his colt needs a breather. If it's the latter, he could be a very bad bet on Saturday. Jockey Garrett Gomez will be replaced by Martin Garcia.

Northern Giant: This colt looked like he was progressing nicely until he finished last of nine horses in the Arkansas Derby back on April 10. He's only won once in his career and that was back on Feb.4 in this sixth try against maidens but he ran well against stakes horses in both the Risen Star and the Lanes End Stakes. Both of those races came up a little soft and he seems like an unlikely winner on Saturday.

Paddy O'Prado: Dale Romans' colt ran the race of his life in the Derby and was rewarded with third place money. He won't get away at 12/1 in the Preakness like he did in Kentucky, but he's an improving colt that figures to be in the mix at the end.

Pleasant Prince: This colt was narrowly defeated by Derby runner-up Ice Box in the Florida Derby back on March 20. He struggled mightily in the Blue Grass but that race was over the Polytrack at Keeneland and can probably be thrown out. He's a closer and will need quick fractions on the front end in order to have a big impact on the race.

Schoolyard Dreams: Missed the Derby after a fourth place finish in the Wood Memorial left him short on graded earnings. He'll get his shot in the Preakness and possesses a nice stalking style that should have him in a good spot early in the race. He could be a nice upset possibility if he's able to take that

23. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Dublin
    Paddy O'Prado
    Super Saver

24. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    I thought there'd be more returning contenders. They still make up a fair portion of the field given that there are only 12 horses entered due to Ike being scratched, but I thought I'd see more familiar faces.

Win: Lookin At Lucky
    Place: Super Saver
    Show: Dublin

A bit unrealistic, I suppose, but oh how I would love to have Lookin At Lucky have another go at things. I expect Dublin to be right up there given the shorter distance this time, and Super Saver... well, anything's possible, especially depending on how close Borel can get him to the rail. :p

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    There are always less horses in the Preakness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.