Triple Crown Game - Third Leg: The Belmont Stakes

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by s65horsey, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick Force Ghost

star 5
    I think Mine that Bird would've caught her if the race was longer.

Totally agree. He was coming on really strong. I usually root for the fillies, but I was hoping Mine That Bird would do it. I'm a little disappointed that there won't be a Triple Crown again this year.

Still, it was an excellent race. Congrats to Rachel Alexandra, and everybody here who picked her!
  2. DarthIntegral Chosen One

star 7
    I think it'd be pretty awesome to have Rachel Alexandra skip the Belmont, and have Mine that Bird win it. MtB goes 1-2-1 in the Triple Crown, and finishes second to a horse that didn't race the other two in the one he didn't win.
  3. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    [face_laugh]

Yeah the racing industry would love that one. Nah, I want to see the rematch. I think it'll take a rematch in order to crown horse of the year.
  4. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    That was a great race, and I actually got to watch it :) Great job by Rachel Alexandra, and definitely a very good showing from Mine that Bird, too - the Derby clearly wasn't a fluke. Might well have caught her in a longer race, indeed.

Inty's idea of Mine that Bird winning a Belmont that doesn't include RA would be hilarious... but I'd rather see both of those horses in a rematch.
  5. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Another furlong, and he'd have eaten her lunch. Talented filly, but the Belmont is stretching it. Mine that Bird is a distance runner, like Little Current.
  6. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Yeah, but the jockey said she didn't like the surface. It'll be interesting to see how she handles the Belmont track. She blew the field away on the Derby track. I don't think this was just because it was against the boys. I'm not counting her out.
  7. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    She's also quite small. Remember Ruffian. 17 hands, and they had to euthanize her. Cruel.
  8. rechedelphar Force Ghost

star 6
    I was pullling for Mine that Bird at the end. I picked Rachel and picked musket man for the show.
  9. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I was, too. He falls to last place. And then, there he is! Great heart on him.
  10. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Some talk today on ESPN about the possibility of Rachel Alexandra not racing in the Belmont, and Calvin Borel moving back to Mine that Bird for the last leg of the Triple Crown. Whether he's riding RA or MtB, though, he's got a shot at the jockey's equivalent of the Triple Crown. Has that ever happened before (same jockey winning all three races, but not all on the same horse)?
  11. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    I thought I heard them say on tv during the Preakness that it hadn't ever happened before. But I could be wrong. Usually a jockey would be seen as an idiot to give up a horse that won the Derby for a different one.

I'm not surprised. The filly didn't look good in the Preakness despite winning. I'm also fairly sure that the owners want her to run for awhile, so running hard as a three year old sometimes disrupts that as it is hard on the horses.

I'd be surprised that Mine that Bird's trainer and owners would put Calvin back up on him for the Belmont after he chose another horse over theirs. Mike Smith did an excellent job, the horse just didn't have enough time to catch the filly in the shorter race.
  12. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    There was something I half missed that sounded like Mike Smith had decided not to ride Mine that Bird (?) I'm not at all sure about that, though.
  13. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Found the story and it makes sense now:

Mike Smith, who rode Mine That Bird to a second-place finish in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday, will not ride him in the June 6 Belmont Stakes, choosing instead to ride Madeo in the Grade 1 Whittingham Stakes at Hollywood Park that day.

Brad Pegram, Smith's agent, informed Chip Woolley, the trainer of Mine That Bird, on Monday morning. The decision opens the possibility that Calvin Borel, who rode Mine That Bird to a victory in the Kentucky Derby before opting to ride the filly Rachel Alexandra in the Preakness, can get back on Mine That Bird for the Belmont, if Rachel Alexandra does not run. As of Monday she was only considered possible for the Belmont.

"We made this commitment to Madeo before the Preakness, before the filly was sold and Calvin took off Mine That Bird to ride the filly and we got a chance to ride Mine That Bird in the Preakness," Pegram said Monday.

Madeo is owned by Jerry and Ann Moss and trained by John Shirreffs, with whom Smith has won major races with the likes of Giacomo and Zenyatta. Shirreffs's wife, Dottie, is the racing manager for the Mosses.

"Everybody is well aware of the relationship that Mike has with John and Dottie and the Mosses," Pegram said. "It's just too bad that these races are on the same day."

Woolley, reached by phone while driving Mine That Bird back to Churchill Downs from Pimlico, said he would "have to see" if Borel would regain the mount.

Borel would be available to ride Mine That Bird in the Belmont if Rachel Alexandra does not run. On Sunday, Rachel Alexandra's trainer, Steve Asmussen, said he would consult with majority owner Jess Jackson before deciding on a Belmont start. But Asmussen allowed that he didn't look at the Belmont with the same urgency as he did the Preakness for Rachel Alexandra.
  14. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Yeah, that does make more sense now. Definitely an interesting possibility. When do the owners of Rachel Alexandra have to decide if she's going to run in the Belmont?
  15. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    If they are extremely smart, they won't run her.
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The Belmont is not this Saturday but a week from Saturday, isn't it?
  17. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
  18. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
  19. amidalachick Force Ghost

star 5
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I absolutely agree with their decision: good on them.
  21. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Belmont Stakes Contenders: (I'll post the update with post positions on Thursday or Friday)

Horse ------------Jockey
    Charitable Man - Alan Garcia
    Brave Victory - Rajiv Maragh
    Chocolate Candy - Garrett Gomez
    Dunkirk - John Velazquez
    Flying Private - Julien Leparoux
    Luv Gov - Miguel Mena
    Mine That Bird - Calvin Borel
    Miner's Escape - Jose Lezcano
    Mr. Hot Stuff - Edgar Prado
    Summer Bird - Kent Desormeaux
  22. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    How many of them also ran in the first two?
  23. s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod

star 7
    Mr. Hot Stuff ran in the Derby (15th)

Summer Bird ran in the Derby (6th)

Luv Gov ran in the Preakness (8th)

Flying Private ran in both Derby (19th) Preakness (4th)

Mine that Bird ran in both Derby (1st) Preakness (2nd)

Dunkirk ran in the Derby (11th)

Chocolate Candy ran in the Derby (5th)

24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Not much of a field.
  25. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Only 10 horses? That seems low. Though its hard for me to say weak or strong, since I don't know which horses are distance runners and helped by the Belmont's length. Though Mine that Bird seems to be such a horse.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.