side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Jedi Apprentice

The Jedi Apprentice Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 29, 1999
    I've seen threads on microphones and cameras, but not much on tripods. I bought an ambico 57" tripod less than a year ago for 40 bucks. The thing broke on me just today, the pan-head won't tighten. I hated the damn thing before, and this is the last straw. I'm willing to shell out a bit more cash this time around. What's a good quality tripod out there that'll at least last me a few years?

2. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

I think the tripod is the most important piece of equipment. It's odd people never invest more in them.

Bogen is the tripod of choice. For more pricey setups there are also Vinton and Sachtler.

An entry level Bogen would be the 3001N legs and the 3063 fluid head for $200. You will be amazed at the difference it makes compared to something like an ambico. So much easier to use and your shots will come out looking better. And it gets better. I'm saving up for the $400 range. Those have the sweetest pans.

Its the best $200 investment you can make in your film. :)

3. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    JESU KRISTI Exfilms! You know a LOT about this crap!

~Neszis~

4. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    definetly go with fluid head, if you can afford it, i'm still kicking myself, i missed an older, apparently fluid head tripod (had a bubble level, etc.) at a garage sale for $5, i was arriving as someone else was leaving with it :mad:

but if you can't afford a fluid head, get a good quality, older tripod, none of this new walmart crap.

here's a question--> do any companies make any kind of cheap fluid head, just the head, that can be mounted on a regular tripod?

5. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001
    It's definitely worth looking on ebay for a used one.

There are other companies that make less expensive fluid heads. But, to keep their cost below Bogen they resort to cheaper parts and the difference is apparent in their performance. One company that has impressed me is Slik. Not as good as Bogen but pretty good nonetheless.

Neszis...my new best friend. :p

6. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    exfilms, what do you think of something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1361733557

i have several older, very stable tripods, i could make some sort of adapter, and lock up the head of my tripod, then mount this bogen head onto it, gotta be better than what i have now, and around 50 bucks.

what are the important things to look for in a fluid head, in other words, what don't i want?

7. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    Yes, Sachtler is excellent... Of course it better be with the $1280+ price tag on it (depending on what DV model you get, the DV6 is nice with smaller DV cameras).

We have a Bogen and it works great! Sure it's not the best out there (and not the cheapest at $200), but it's sure better than a $30 tripod, TRUST ME.

8. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

I check B&H and the 3160xl cost $61. That Ebay guy has a buy it now price of $60. I don't like guys like that. Be careful of guys trying to sell stuff at retail or higher. You're better off buying from some place reputable if the difference is only a few bucks.

I had a good laugh shopping for a second video card for my mac. The ones people are selling on Ebay are sometimes $50 more than retail. And people were bidding them.

I found this 3063 on ebay. It will be a good deal if the bidding doesn't go much higher.

9. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Ah, yes, I got your check yesterday, Ex :)

~Neszis~

10. BigRedDog

BigRedDog Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    One point that has been missed is that a "light, easy to transport" tripod is usually not substantial enough to absorb the smallest movements. My tripod has a fluid head, but is so light that I can move the whole thing if the resistance is set just a tad too high. I was thinking of taking some sort of weight with me when I shoot to hold the tripod down. I really need a Bogen.

11. Pixelito

Pixelito Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    You gotta make sure theres enough room between the legs to fit over the seats... the worst thing ever is having to keep your weight on the camera to keep the theater seats from popping up.... its really annoying to have to watch Episode II with jerks in the middle of it. You also have to make sure it's high-enough, so you dont have problems with getting people standing up, raising their hands, or going to the bathroom. Make sure you're near the speakers so you don't get side-conversations in your copy of the film.

btw, i'm kidding.

12. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    You want a tripod? Here's a great one. Bidding starts at what shall we say, £500?

Any takers?

13. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001
    LOL@Pixelito ... you really must have a nice heavy tripod too, in case you need to whack any ushers with it.

BigRedDog - I got by with a cheapie tripod for a while by hanging a sandbag from the centerpost. The Ambico 57" Pro Series (lol...its really called the "pro" series) for $40 at Best Buy has a hook on the bottom. Totally crappy tripod but $40 plus a sandbag had to make do while I saved up for my first Bogen.

EDIT:

Daft - The historical value alone of that tripod makes it worth its hefty weight in gold. Maybe if you offer to have the dark skies cast and crew autograph it? :p

14. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Maybe if you offer to have the dark skies cast and crew autograph it?

Pffft, that wouldn't help. In fact, I think it would just make the price drop even lower. ;) 8-}

15. filmmaker

filmmaker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    I agree that the Bogen is the only way to go. I own a set of Bogen legs and have watched Sachler's, Vinten's and O'Connors, all tripods priced a lot higher, fall apart over the years, and my $300 Bogens keep on going. Sachler is the most overpriced and overrated. They are all plastic and carbon fiber and fall apart after a few months use. Go for a nice set of Bogen legs and you can't go wrong.

16. RDG

RDG Jedi Master star 4

Jun 12, 2001
    I don't know what I have. I know that it's old, it was my dads, it's sturdy, it has a semi-fluid head, and it works! That's all I care about. :p

17. mpfjr

mpfjr Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2001
    I was cleaning out an old storage shed and found a tripod that was still sealed and in the original box. I would guess it is over 20 years old and has never been used. My parents must have bought it for one of their video cameras but never used it since they only ever filmed during their extended vacations.

So to me it is the best tripod. FREE!

18. Neszis

May 23, 2001
    Those have the sweetest pans

No, this has the sweetest pans.

~Neszis~

19. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

No, no, no...this has the sweetest pan.

20. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
  21. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    No, this has the sweetest pans.

But the vertical travel is horrible.

No, no, no...this has the sweetest pan.

But the stability is terrible.

22. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
  23. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Exfilms, now everyone will be asking you if they are getting good deals ;)

We actually had a 450 dollar bogen one (not sure model... my boss bought it). So anyways, we go to film a ceremony, and the thing breaks on us.

Last time he invested in a worth while tripod... I keep trying to explain that it was a fluke ;)

Cya
    Mike

24. The Jedi Apprentice

Nov 29, 1999
    Damn right we will! You shouldn't have talked ExFilms! Now we know that you know....stuff

MUHAHAHA :D

25. ExFilms

Aug 9, 2001

TJA - That sounds like a good deal.

List Price: $204.00
    B & H Price: $144.00

The 3126 head doesn't have a quick release but thats not a big deal to most people.

The 3001N legs are a little on the short side but should work fine for any normal use. If you look at the top of the legs you see a neat feature. The silver metal "buttons" can be pushed in to allow the legs to spread all the way. Great for getting low angle shots.

The best way to check if an Ebay item is a good deal is to go to the B&H Photo website and use their search to look up the product. B&H will usually have the lowest retail prices to compare with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.