Tripping the rift

Discussion in 'Long Island, NY' started by GotMauled, May 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GotMauled Jedi Knight

star 1
    I am sitting on the couch right now watching a show called "Tripping the rift" on Sci Fi. First i hve to say that it is an adult show so dont watch it if you dont like adult humor. Any way the funny part is they are on plant and a Yoda type guy is walking arround. Then these solders in white Armor show up. A shuttle comes down with saw blades for wings and chopes them in half. It does not sound like it here but it ws verry funny. ALSO the bad buy was Dart-BoBo and he was a clown in black armor.
  2. Cailinn-Sarr Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yes tripping the rift is a intentional rip on SW,but like the Ep1 & Ep2 it bites.
  3. GotMauled Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well every one can have their own oppinion. That is what makes this country great.
    I like Tripping the Rift. It is very silly and has no point other then entertainment. As for EP1 and 2 I liked then as well. The problem is that every one compairs then to EP4, 5 & 6 and you cant do that. Those movies have been arround so long that they are a part of us and we have built them up in our minds. It is imposible for any thing to ever compair to what we loved in our past. But think of this. In 20 years when they do EP 7,8 & 9 my kids will be having the same conversion about them compairing to 1 through 6
  4. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not crazy about Tripping the Rift of what I saw, I thought it was goofy
    but I would like to echo GotMauled comment about the new SW movies compared to the old.
    The Old ones will never be matched by anything SW or non SW - thats for sure. I take it that the new movies are just a reinforcment of back story to the old movies. I dont judge them alone.
    Alot of people complain about Episodes 1,2,3 but think of how lucky we are that Lucas made them. For years we could only imagine some of the small things he covered in these new movies about places and how characters got where they were.
    Im thrilled to see any bit of any of these movies for that reason. Sure, the dialoge can be bad at times but just think; where would this fandom be right now without a new look into the Star Wars world?
    I feel the same about Clone Wars - love that too.
    I'm not crazy about the Expanded Universe mainly because its not Lucas putting his heart into it. He doesnt even respect continuity in the EU world.
    Alot of people complain about Lucas too, but he is the god and no matter what, whatever he says is what really matters - whether we like it or not.

Is there anybody who is unhappy enough with Episode 1 and 2 that they arent going to be there in the first week to see Episode 3? Just wondering. --Billy
  5. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I've heard of Tripping The Rift, but obviously being in England, I don't get it (or I probably do, I just don't have cable TV). Did anyone see the short that they made before the TV show came out? That was hilarious!

The clown face on 6's butt! Classic! :p

"Stay here, I'll kill you later!"
  6. Darth Venom Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw the Tripping the Rift short. Originally it was broadcast on the SciFi Channel show "Exposure" hosted by Kevin Smith. The Tripping the Rift short was hilarious. It was very adult oriented and had alot of parts bleeped etc.

The Tripping the Rift series by comparison sucks. The humor isn't there nor is the more mature content.

As for Ep.1, 2, and 3. I agree that it is unfair to compare them to the originals. However, as individual films they are "lacking" to say the least. First, the acting of some of the characters is woefully bad (Jake loyd in Ep.1, Natalie Portman in Ep.1 and Ep.2) and some of the dialoge by characters is just....awefull (Think almost all of Jar-jar's lines). Secondly the production value doesn't seem to be there in Ep.1 and 2. Examples of this are the use of "stock" star wars sounds used totally out of place (the sound of the AT-AT guns coming out of a pistol..wtf?).

Overall I feel that it's unfair to give these movies a pass simply because they're "Star Wars". On the contrary I believe that they should be held to a higher standard for exactly that reason.
  7. MasterSifo-Dyas Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe in 20 years the Lucas kids will do a better job on Episodes 7, 8, and 9.
  8. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Somehow, I'm reminded of a line from that documentry Tatooine or Bust, where that one guy out in LA said that his kids would probably sell the rights to Star Wars to feed their crack habits!

...So I'm guessing no SW VII, VIII, or IX for us then! :)
  9. TheBothanJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Tripping the rift is a half-way decent show(in tems of quality, not content :p) and I watch it now and then. I still have not seen the original short film, but I have heard that it was very funny and had alot more adult humor than the series.
  10. Happy Ninja Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    According the people at Dark Bunny Productions -- The people that were responsable for the original short film were dumped by Sci-fi.

"...Well, that day took 4 years, but it finally happened. In early 2002, Sci Fi Channel picked it up for a series, but it was a bittersweet victory. Chuck and I were deemed expendable and the production went ahead without us. But despite this, we're happy that our little idea was liked by so many people, and we look back on that amazing day when we first saw the short, complete with finished soundtrack, with great fondness."

I suppose the absence of the creators and their writing skills are to blame for a dull show. (Of course, I haven't seen it, so I can't rate it)
  11. GotMauled Jedi Knight

star 1
    How can they do that. If people develop and create an idea it is theirs.
    Unless they dold it or somthing. but still keep the sick minds that thought of it in the first place.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.