main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Just read this little blurb over at the RPF:

Trisha Biggar Dressing the Galaxy: The Costumes of Star Wars
    ?This book presents the elaborate and beautiful costumes that decorate the sets of the six Star Wars films. In it you?ll find everything from pre-production sketches to screen renderings of costumes from each movie, with commentary by designers and actors every step of the way. The full visual panoply of Star Wars regalia is on display; everything from military gear to royal robes to Jedi and Sith costumes are shown from pre-production sketches to artist?s renderings to the final filmed version?stunning photographs present the costumes in more intimate detail than any publication has expressed before.?
    Biggar was the costume designer for the prequels. Price is $50

---

Its published by Abrams books and is due in October.

S_S edit: just updating title :)

2. jedi_ginny

jedi_ginny Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2002
    argh! they should release this earlier for those people who are looking for references for costumes for this summer's Star Wars events. *sigh*

3. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    Wow! Even though I'm more interested making the OT costumes, I would love to have that book. Trisha has done an amazing job over the years. :D

4. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    The description does say "from each movie" so hopefully looks of original trilogy stuff in there as well!

5. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Oh, that is so uuterly superb! And though I wish the book would come out earlier, in the end I am just happy they are finally publicing a book about the costumes :)

6. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    Finally! This book will be great. Hopefully there'll be shots of costumes from the OT that we've never seen before. :) Trisha better win an Academy Award!

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    A bit on the expensive side, but I must have that book. And in October I wont have to save all my money for C3.

8. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    This book presents the elaborate and beautiful costumes that decorate the sets of the six Star Wars films.

All six films will be represented. Wahoo!

9. Schph_Gochi

Schph_Gochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2002
    sounds like a "must have"

10. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I am definately getting that book when it comes out :D I only wish it was earlier as well :(

11. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    That is great news! I hope the book is good! I'm so glad they are doing this!

Maggie

12. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    This is such wonderful news.

I am going to be pre-ordering that little gem the second I am able to...
    Of course, I imagine having good reference (we hope we hope) for all the costumes will make me want to change eighty thousand things on the ones I've already done, but such is life.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, I wonder how many 're-dos' of costumes this book is going to generate in our community. [face_mischief]

I am thrilled to hear about this and can't wait to get my hands on it! October seems so very far away right now....

14. MiraxTHorn

MiraxTHorn Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2000
    Oh MAN! This is exciting news! It's about time Trisha gets some direct recognition! She is amazing!

When it comes out, what would you all think about doing a fun and informal "Who's costume really is the closest to the real thing?" contest among our board?

Regards,
    M.

15. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Let's hope fandom isn't dead by next year so we have a chance to all flaunt our new and improved costumes. :p

16. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Well I heard a rumor that there will be other Celebrations, so I doubt fandom will die. :D

And I think I'm going to add that to my list of must-haves.

17. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wow, I can't wait for this book! I had actually heard a rumor that such a book was in the works waaay back in the summer of 2002...apparently Trisha (or people working for the costuming dept) had gone to Britex Fabrics in San Francisco and told the staff there would be a book dedicated to the costumes. But when nothing materialized I figured it was just a rumor. I should have given ep III time to come out!

- Kay Dee

18. LadySonnet

LadySonnet Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2003
    (Squeal of excitement!)

I really hope this is as good as we all want it to be, with all the costume study photos we've all found out there, and detail shots (like from the 'fact files') and pictures of the backs of costumes, and, and, and...

And I have to admit, I probably would have paid more for it too. I've been wanting a book like this for ages (haven't we all?)

Sonnet

19. Nostradamus

Nostradamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 2, 2000
    **gasp of excitement**

That's #1 on my list of things I would like for (early) Christmas

20. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Geez it's about time! Looking forward to this!

21. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Oh and if that isn't enough for you....

John Knoll Star Wars 365 Days
    ?This deluxe entry in Abrams? 365 Days series takes the reader through the Lucasfilm archives of all six Star Wars films and includes breathtaking 360-degree panoramic shots of sets and models, as well as film stills, concept art, and memorabilia. This deluxe edition offers the most comprehensive collection of images related to the Star Wars films including sets, costumes, concept art, props, and film stills? The book has 1000 pix and includes a CD-ROM containing Quicktime movies of the set panoramas. John Knoll is the visual effects supervisor on the prequels. Price is $40.

Same publisher and release time.

Also coming from Chronicle Books is going to be a prequel companion the the original Star Wars Chronicles, this time authored by Steve Sansweet, same oversized format in the slipcase.

I believe that one is due in September.

22. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    My wallet just ran for cover.

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    And mine just squealed with consumer glee! :D

24. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Should I just change where my paycheque is deposited? o_O :p

25. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    More info about the book and a costume exhibit!

From the OS
    [image=http://starwars.com/eu/lit/ref/img/20050317_bg.jpg]

I hope the exhibit gets to travel beyond Los Angeles so more people get a chance to see it...and I am drooling over the description of the deluxe version of the book...must have deluxe version....must have deluxe version.... =P~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.