main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Kell - I had about the same experience. They never responded to my e-mail, so I kept calling them about every 5 days until I was finally refunded. After about 3 weeks of getting the run around I was pretty frustrated. (They didn't even send an a-mail as promised when they did process the refund - I only found out after calling them).

- Kay Dee

2. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    For everyone with a book ordered through FIDM:

I checked my account online today and it now reads 'Inventory fulfilled'. So hopefully that means books will be shipping out any day now! :)

3. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    ugh, I just got off the phone with the FIDM shop again (I'm really anxious for my book!) just to follow up on the message I got last time...
    they still don't have the books in sadly =(
    the lady on the phone told me that the problem is the books are "stuck at the port" as she put it, and they keep getting told another week... and another week... and another week... *sigh*
    how hard is it to ship this stuff I don't know... but this is really ticking me off =(, especially after paying so much for shipping!!

4. Darth_Manos

Darth_Manos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 11, 2005
    I work in the shipping industry (sort of). It usually runs very smoothly, but every now and then it goes horribly awry. I'll ask around and see if I can come up with any insider info.

Please don't associate Biba Fett or any of the FIDM employees with the delay, I'm sure the shop folks are almost as frustrated as you are. It sucks to be under the pressure of not having product that people have paid large sums of money for.

5. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002

I can vouch for that DM! I just had a very expensive package come back from Australia because UPS claims I filled the form out wrong (after delaying it 5 days). When I faxed them my copy - they (in my translation) said - "Oopsie - Weesa Screw up now Okey day?" Ugh! Otherwise shipping usually goes very smoothly.

Wish I could come out for Fan Day, but plane tix would run almost $400 RT :(

6. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    argh, mine is delayed for another 2 weeks:(....sigh

7. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Yeah, I'm getting frustrated too. Overstock printed the label for my book on October 20th.; it left their warehouse in Pennsylvania on October 25th. by USPS; and I still haven't received it in New York. When I called yesterday, they said they can't trace it until 15 days after it leaves their warehouse. Also, I was told that the publisher's release date for the deluxe edition is November 28th.. She was shocked to hear that some people had received the deluxe edition already from other sources. Oye. :oops:

8. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I got an e-mail from the FIDM shop today that stated the publisher has sent out the books but that the shipment is being held up at U.S. Customs. They currently don't know when to expect them.

So, I guess when my FIDM order status was changed to 'Inventory Fulfilled' it just meant that their order of books had been shipped from the publisher but not yet recieved.

I certainly do not place any blame on the FIDM shop. They're waiting for their order just like the rest of us. Waiting and waiting....

9. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    I just got that email too,

This is still frustrating to death for me as I never spend so much money as I've grown up having very little of it..., I know it's no one's fault at FIDM., What does US customs expect to find in there anyways, it's just a bunch of costume books!

10. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I know, it is frustrating since we've already shelled out the money for them. But take heart in the fact that they are on the way :), even if currently held up. Maybe customs is backed up and running slower than usual right now. But, we'll get them. We will. ;)

11. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I guess you've also ordered from amazon.co.uk, since I got an email with that information as well today. :( After hearing about all the trouble for you in the US I was more or less expecting something like this though.

12. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Just thought I would add my two cents concerning how the publishing industry works (used to work in order processing for a small children's book company).

Looking in the front of the book, all of the publication information is listed including where the book is printed and bound. In this case, it is in CHINA. If the publisher is having the printer/binding company drop ship the large orders, it is extremely likely that the books are indeed sitting held up with customs as they would have been shipped from China. There can be any number of reasons for a delay in customs and you can only hope that it is small and resolved quickly.

Hope you get your books soon. And have patience.

13. Rence_Shecal

Rence_Shecal Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2003
    Hi guys!

Kind of newish here. Have been a registered a long time but never really posted much so I guess I'm almost a newbie....please bare with me! <grin>

Just a quick question....those of you who have or are going to be receiving the LE of the book, I would very much love to see any pictures of the Zam Wessel swatches. I know it's a bit random as to who gets what with the books but anyone who gets the Zam swatches and is able to send me a picture, I would be very grateful. If there are any other refferences or photos of Zam in the book, I would also love to see them as I am about to attempt an accurate recreation of her outfit. <lol>

Still haven't decided myself what to do about the book. I HAD pre-ordered it through Amazon months and months ago but when I got the email about the price rise....<grrr> Needless to say I decided not to get the book at that time. Will almost definitly get the standard edition but I'd love to know if everyone thinks the LE is really worth it in the end.

Cheers!

14. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    A good friend of mine has had her book for almost a week now, and it's pages are falling out of the spine of the book! She's contacted the shop she purchased it from, but she'd received a numbered & signed edition (#301 even) and so now she has this book with a damp spine that she's terrified to touch. I really hope no one else has this problem.

15. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I would suggest contacting the publisher regarding the bad binding of a very expensive book. The web site is www.abramsbooks.com and there is a page to with contact information to either e-mail, call or snail mail them.

16. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    That would tick me off! I really hope she can get the binding fixed...how terrible! :(

17. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I paid about $245 for a Jet Blue flight JFK to Long Beach, CA when I flew out last minute to the FIDM opening.(LAX would have been my preferred airport, but could find a LAX red eye that would get me back to NYC to go straight to work).

I checked for costs for weekend of 11/20 (Fan Day) and right now the least expensive flight on Jet Blue is $265.
    And a quick check of Orbitz shows flights in the $250 range, AA is the least expensive.

I know you got to see some of the costumes in NYC, but to see all of them just inches away from you and to be able to study them, it's incredible. I'm so wanting to get on a plane and go out there again!

But we have Big Apple Con 11/18-11/20/05 and Carrie Fisher, Daniel Logan and Ray Park are guests, so I'm already committed that weekend.

18. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    Fenig, if your friend doesn't want to go to the hassle of returning the book, she can always tip in the pages herself -- it's a fairly simple procedure. I did it literally thousands of times when my primary job was repairing and restoring antique books, and I never had to redo any of those books, because it really sets the pages in securely. There's a decent tutorial on how to do so here.
    For adhesive, I'd recommend Gaylord's; it's been my favorite for years.

I'm slightly confused though -- how did the spine get damp? Did it come that way?

19. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Yes, but MA you are only one person ;) There's my fiance also, so now its about $500 :( I can't leave him behind - he wants to see the costumes just as much as I do :D Okay, so he's really only interested in Bail's greek cloak and Palpi's costumes lol.

Oh well, I guess the fashion show will have to be enough for me.

20. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Ah, I thought you we just quoting air fare for just one, not for you and Will.

Well anyway there seems to be debate as to exact date of the next fan day.

21. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    I got my book from sideshow today!!!!!!!!!!!. let me just say the book is amazing, and really heavy. I got book number 210 signed. the pictures are really good in it and I got a lot of swatches. $295 well spent. IM just glad all that frustration waiting for the book is over.

22. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Question for those of you that ordered from Sideshow...did you get an email confirmation when the book shipped?

I'm just curious. :)

Thanks!

23. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    yea i did get a email. they also sent me a tracking thing for fedex.

24. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    How much is shipping from Sideshow?

25. koolduede

koolduede Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2005
    its $15 but its fast shipping

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.