main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    That's great Hothgirl! Have fun looking through it! Did you get other swatches that you wanted? :)

According to my tracking number, mine seems to be at the local UPS sorting facility. So close but still so far....

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Aside from Zam, I'm pretty happy to just get swatches. Although, now that there are spaces for other swatches, I want a sample of them all! LOL

It's terrible really...heh. I've got almost all the swatches for the Ep.III handmaiden and all of Bail's green velvet robe costume. The handmaiden is much more detailed and the colors are a lot different than I expected. And I got a piece of the velvet from the Peacock dress...wow. I love that dress!

I'm not through the book yet, but I'm disappointed that I haven't seen a clear top shot of Padme's 'family' dress. I really wanted to see the shells on the top and the big pic is covered with the cloak.

I have so much work to get done and this book...I can't not look at it. ;)

3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I want my book too [face_worried] :_|

4. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    yay my book finally came, love it, the photos are so amazing. didn't get the deluxe edition so no fabric samples for me :(

5. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    yay for books =)
    mine was shipped out last Thursday, I hope it's here soon =P

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    It should! Mine shipped from FIDM last Thursday too and I just got it! It's huge. :)

7. surlygirlie

surlygirlie Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 1, 2000
    I am wondering how much variance there really is in the swatch samples.
    I know Obi-Dawn and I got more or less the same assortment, and looking back in the thread, I see that Jedi Kai has the same ones, too.

Is there really any variety to them, or is it mostly the same from book to book?

8. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Mine shipped today! I can't wait to get it and dive into all the material (no pun intended hehe).

I'll let you guys know what samples I get.

9. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I think there is some variance.

They ran out of some samples and that's what other characters (like Zam) were added to the list.

Not sure exactly how much variance though.

10. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I really hope I get a swatch of some part of Padme's senate dress from Episdoe I. that is my dream costume [face_love] ooo~ it is just too stuning XDDD the thought of the cost makes my head spin though...anyways getting off topic. or maybe someting from the peacock dress.....anything of padme's really I would be happy with ^.^

just thought of this but......
    I wonder, are there swatches of the black beaded dress Padme wears after the senate in episode I in anyone's book? hmmmmm I want some of that black outer fabric [face_love]

11. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I wonder when Amazon.Ca gonna start delivering. :rolleyes:

Already start work and I can use some of the infos from the book about some of the costumes. :mad: We have the ROTS Purple Senate Gown.

12. PrincessOfTheed

Nov 11, 2004
    WOHOOOOOO!! My book was shipped today! [face_dancing] I order from overstock.com. I hope it gets here soon *explodes from excitment*

13. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Yeah, looks like we're in the same boat Obi Anne. Hope amazon doesn't delay it again for a 3rd time:( .
    Ps: sorry I didn't reply to your previous post earlier, I just moved and haven't got Internet jet. They keep delaying that to....grmbl...it's a conspiracy)

14. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    still waiting for my book.... it was shipped on the tenth =\ just because I live in the northeast is probably why it's taking so long. hoping for tomorrow or Monday delivery! =)

15. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    I'm also still waiting. It was supposed to get here yesterday, but the train it was being shipped on derailed (I'm not making this up, it was in the tracking info!) and it didn't make it into town until late last night. They put it on the truck at 3:30 or so this morning and it was listed as out for delivery all day. Then at about 9:50 tonight it was listed as having arrived back at the warehouse. Rescheduled to ship on Monday, although I'm planning on calling to see if I can pick it up instead. I'm hoping for the best. I want my book!

And thank you for letting me whine a bit :)

16. PrincessOfTheed

Nov 11, 2004
    I got my limited edition book today...and it blew my mind!! It is sooo georgous!!!!! gahhhh~ I am very very happy with it! words cannot describe how beautiful the pictures are! I didn't get the Queen Amidala Senate fabric swatches *sigh* but I did get the peacock dress swatches XDD so that made up for it a little bit. all in all I think this is the best purchase I ever made! and am VERY VERY happy with it. *dies* the pictures are amazing. period.

17. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    Turns out I'll never get my book :_|

I ordered it through B&N with a friend who works there (so I could get 30% off). Well, the books were sent out, too many were sent to Australia, and FIDM was selling more than they thought they would. The alotted amount that was supposed to be sent to the NY market was taken back by LFL because they felt the NY market wasn't strong and no one would want the book over here :mad:. HELLO LFL! NEW YORK FASHION INSTITUTE!!! PASRONS SCHOOL OF DESIGN!!! FASHION AVENUE - GARMENT DISTRICT!!! I guess we don't have enough interest in NYC :rolleyes:

In the long run, there were more books sold than were availble :oops:

Now my fiance is scrambling to get me a book :( I already drooled all over the $50 version, but I want the delux edition so much that I said I'd fly to LA and pick it up if it was the only way.

I don't think I'll ever get my book at this rate :(

18. across0the0stars

Jul 29, 2003
    oh Benae! that's terrible! =( did you try calling the FIDM museum shop? maybe you can get one that is actually in the store held for you some how.

good luck with that, I hope you find one

at least you got to see the dresses on the runway! =)

19. clotho0377

clotho0377 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2004
    Hey Benae_Quee,

Sideshowtoy.com still has the signed limited editions available for order and they have been shipping for weeks now. Try them if you can't find the limited edition anywhere else.

Paul

20. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    Anyone get their's from Overstock yet? We haven't and I am dying, cause I already went to the FIDM but passed on purchasing, cause we had one in the queue from Overstock and we ordered like August 15th or sumthin.

21. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Benae, that's awful! They don't think there's a market in New York? That's rather odd; I'd imagine it would be one of the bigger markets!

Amazon is listed as shipping in 24 hours now and there are some sellers that have some pretty discounted books. Might be worth a try. I do hope you get one!

Mine arrived tonight. And I'm very, very happy. It's huge! So big it's hard to read even. Not that I'm complaining :)

22. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    starwarsshop.com says they have them "in stock," although I don't know how truthful that is. I think when I see my mom for Thanksgiving I'll ask if the limited edition can be my Christmas present, because although amazon.ca hasn't cancelled my order, I'm doubtful it'll ever be filled.

23. Jedi_Jaina09

Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    My mom called saying my overstock order arrived today. Too bad I won't get to see it until I go home for winter break (three weeks) :(

Benae, walmart.com (which people may have forgotten about) says it has copies in stock ready to ship for $265, and I think there's at least one copy listed on half.com too. I'm sure not all the books are gone, and you'll have a one before you know it :)

24. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    I got an email from overstock.com that they have listed the limited endition again with 49 items on their webpage.
    Maybe when you run, Benae, you could get the book from them?! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :)

A friend of mine in the US who purchased the book for me called overstock two weeks ago and they said that the books they got will be shipped to those who preorder them last week.
    But they also said that they still didn't know if they will have enough books for all the preorders...
    But I guess, that they added the book to the website again is quite a good sign ;)

25. PrincessOfTheed

Nov 11, 2004
    I got mine from overstock yesterday. FYI: I pre-ordered mine in november.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.