main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999

Well Gee WHIZ! I ordered mine back in OCTOBER from Overstock.com and all it says is "IN PROGRESS" It's been saying that since I ordered it! :( I'm beginning to think it's not going to come. Oh dear....very distressing!

2. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    What can I say? Mine was preordered back in august :p

But well I've waited sooo long. I guess I can be patient two more weeks if I have to ;)

3. Meriwyn

Meriwyn Former RSA star 4

Mar 22, 2002
    Mine arrives tomorrow supposedly. Kristin, don't worry there are still plenty of places that have the limited edition available :)

4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Well I ordered my amazon.co.uk one in April, and all it says is that it hasn't been dispatched, but estimated delivery is before the 25th of November, but at least a note that it will definetly arrive before Christmas has come up.

5. Obi-WanQuadinaros

Obi-WanQuadinaros Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    I pre-ordered from Overstock in July, but my status is still "in process."

6. JediMistress

JediMistress Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 18, 1999
    OH MAN! I ordered my copy on 8/17 (just checked the invoice) and mine still says "IN PROGRESS" So I got on the chat session with a rep and he said they DO have the book currently IN STOCK and he's not sure WHY mine didn't ship yet. But someone will contact me in 2-4 days about it! UGH! NOT FAIR! :( <<Pout pout>>

Obi Anne I suggest you contact them too. Apparently those of us who preordered are getting screwed while those that order NOW get it NOW! UGH! I asked the rep if I should just place another order and he said no...but it would probably be faster!

7. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    that's weird that you who pre-ordered very very far in advance haven't gotten yours yet.....very weird. I hope they come soon ;_;

8. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002

This seems really odd. I work at B&N and my book is on the way to the store now. Granted, I ordered it in August, and the expected arrival date is now 12/9, but I'll just be thrilled to have it.

According to BookMaster (our in-store program), the book is in stock and the current shipping time is about 6 business days. The B&N website also has it in stock and shipping in 2-3 business days. Here's the page.

I've talked to the people in charge of filling orders a couple of times, and they never said anything about only selling the books in certain markets. When I called, they said the release date had been pushed back, but the order would be filled as soon as it in stock. I doubt any store would stock this book, as it's extremely expensive. Any store would be happy to order it for you, though.

Maybe you should ask your friend to reorder it.

9. jjmaclean

jjmaclean Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2005
    Hello,

After reading all these posts about people recieving their books, I got excited and checked my order on Amazon.ca and it has been pushed back to a shipping estimate of December 27th - January 9th!!! Has this happened to anyone else who ordered from Amazon.ca

JJ MacLean

10. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Mine still says Oct 4-6th and now lists a 4-6 week delivery window now on the listing (it used to say not yet released)

11. R1-A2

R1-A2 Jedi Youngling

Dec 27, 2003
    I got it!=D= I got it! :D It's an overstocks.com order. It's the Limited Edition, mine is number 1968 (of the 2500). I know, not a signed version, oh well, but it will do. I ordered mine back in early to mid-October.

OMG, it is the biggest book I own now (and probably the most expensive).[face_money_eyes] The clamshell box with the obi-wrap is beautiful. Love the little extras like the Vader cape fabric sample and the other little booklet with the tiny (1"x1") fabric samples. The print is clear, the pictures are WAY better than any picture I could have taken myself at an exhibit in person. Love the commentaries, but didn't read much, as I just had to keep turning the pages to look through it all. And those fold outs, and the extra little inserts, wow! And what's supposed to be in that CD? =P~

Sorry to the folks who are still waiting for their books. [face_plain] I just had to post here to be able to at least virtually yell, "OMG, OMG, whatta book!!!" Can't wake up the rest of the sleeping household, didn't want to have to share looking at the book with anyone else.[face_shhh]

My only complaint is that I feel like I may have gotten one of the "oops, something got damaged along the way" books.[face_frustrated] My clamshell box had little holes in the front, kind of like it got dropped over the top of a pointy wrought iron fence, and the fabric covering and obi is a bit snagged/ripped in places. Inside the box, there was a little slip of paper saying something about quality control checked, but some of the pages had smudged print (only on the page numbers and stuff like that, none on the costume pictures). So what to do? Of course, I'm keeping it, I know I got a good deal on overstocks, compared to full retail. I'm just not sure if I should complain, and if so to whom? Any ideas/suggestions?:confused:

However, all in all, I'm glad I splurged for the special edition. But now I'm wondering if I should get the other 'regular' one, so that I won't have to open up this really, nice, limited edition each time I want to take look. (and so I don't have to keep hiding it from my son and his grubby little hands). Oh, what to do, what to do? [face_thinking]

A :)

12. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    To me it sounds as if it's a general problem for all of us who have ordered the book through amazon, but not amazon.com.

edit/ checked amazon.co.uk, they claim that it hasn't been published in the UK yet and that they will send it as soon as they get it from the publisher, the regular version is said to be shipped within 2-3 weeks though..

13. Obi-WanQuadinaros

Obi-WanQuadinaros Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    My deluxe edition from Overstock arrived yesterday, and yet my order status still says "in process." The invoice says it shipped last Wednesday, though on Thursday, a sales rep told me it wouldn't ship till Monday.

For those of you still looking for a copy, there's a good price comparison chart on bestwebbuys.com.

14. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    I'm so frustrated with Overstock.com. I ordered a copy of each on September 30th. and have not received either yet. I've been told November 28th. for a shipping date for the deluxe edition, but the date was removed this week. As of Monday, they had an inventory of -12 of them, but they were on the way to the warehouse. The regular book supposedly left their warehouse in Pennsylvania on October 25th, but they don't know where it is when I called to trace it. Today, there was another note that it left the warehouse yesterday and media items can take up to 3 weeks to arrive. Let's see if I receive this one. I doubt I'll end up with 2 of the regular books, but that would be nice way to make up for the confusion and frustration. ;)

15. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Mine arrived today! This thing is HUGE. The box weighed 18 pounds LOL. It is a beautiful set. I got the following fabric samples:

Obi-Wan (ROTS) *squeal!*
    Bail Organa (senate outfit)
    Padme (green velvet gown)
    Padme (peacock dress)
    Padme (burgundy gown - the balcony scene where Anakin tells her she sounds like a separatist) including her beads!!
    Nemoidian gunner
    Anakin (ROTS)
    Palpatine (rescue "reptile" gown...not sure what else to call it)
    Nemoidian Aide
    Episode 3 Handmaiden

There were others but there were no fabric samples (is that normal?) Didn't get Amidala's senate gown (TPM), Amidala's Black Travel gown, Zam or Padme's wedding dress.

The photos are absolutely incredible and the close-ups are perfect for costuming afficionados :)

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That sounds like exactly the samples I would love to have. *keeps fingers crossed for something similar*

17. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Meri -

Yeah, that's normal. If you ask me, it's a really big tease to put all those pictures in there and not get samples of everything.

I'm thankful I was able to get any mind you, but I still want more! :p

18. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Obi-Anne, I ordered the book also from Amazon.uk. I have sent them two emails, and both times I got exactly the same answer telling me they still have not got the books. I think that the problem is to get the books in Europe. Almost everyone seem to have gotten it in USA (and I am truly sorry for those who have not, I can feel their pain), but no one in Europe (who has ordered from Amazon.uk, Amazon.de or from Amazon.ca if that matters..). The regular version is in stores already even in Finland (and in Sweden) but as I asked my local bookstores they told me they could order the Limited Edition for me from the European publisher, and again, that it is not out yet.

So basicly what worries me is if the books will ever make it to European market, or is the only way to order the book from USA and pay the VAT and custome fees. Sigh.

19. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Thanks for the information Aure, I was suspecting it was something like that.

20. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Hey folks,

I got an email from sideshowcollectibles a few days ago, stating that they don´t have the book at the european warehouse yet, but that they will have to charge my ccard account two weeks before they get the book. So, I was charged on the 22nd this month, so I guess that they will send out the book in two weeks. The good thing about sideshow is that they currently have a shipping special for EU customers, and that one doesn´t have to pay customs fees since they send the book from within the EU. So, I guess sideshow is the dealer that you want to go with for this book, especially since they have the signature edition for the same price as the regular edition.

Michael

21. ObiWill

ObiWill Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2001
    I ordered a copy through an Amazon.com Store. They had several copies listed as "New" for $206.00. The price is awfully low, but if the condition is anything but "new," I will send it back.

22. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    I've been waiting so long for mine, that I had to go into amazon.ca and change my payment method ... my credit card expiry date changed.

This is ridiculous.

23. Meriwyn

Mar 22, 2002
    Does anyone know what the obi wrap fabric around the box is from? Or is that just a random piece of fabric they used.

24. darthlrrp

darthlrrp Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 2005
    $250.75 on overstock--wish i could convince myself to buy it--too much for now

dl

25. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    The Obi around the LTD. Edition book is close in weave to the EP I Pre-Senate kimono, but the actual costume Obi is a pale silver metalic, with hints of gold. (but looks white in most photos) The book Obi is white satin with non-metalic gold.
    [image=http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/2122.jpg][image=http://www.kreleia.com/images/obi_fabric.jpg]

The whole idea of the LTD. packaging is based on the EP I costume. The promo version of the book had a white Obi that didn't match the weave, but looked more like the costume. I was bummed that they didn't have a matching fabric for the Obi, but if they couldn't get fabric to match the costume, no wonder we can't find it ;)
    [image=http://www.insighteditions.com/starwars/ltded-03.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.