main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm sorry to hear that Obi-Anne. :(
    Just think of how thrilling it will be when it finally does arrive though! :)

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Yeah, I'm starting to get frustrated now, but now I can start seeing it as a really fine Christmas gift for myself.

3. ewok78

ewok78 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2005
    Hello
    i have take my copy at the FIDM, its number is 773
    I have the same fabrics as everybody, no Jango no Zam.....

4. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I just ordered the limited edition for myself, as an x-mas gift from my parents. :p I promised them I wouldn't open it until Christmas... though it might just kill me. $200 is quite a lot, but I'm a costume designer myself so it's really my solemn duty to own it! Thanks for all the good suggestions here on where to get it.

5. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    Well, Overstock came through for me finally. I received the regular book last Friday just in time for a friend's birthday. My deluxe edition arrived yesterday - #2325, but I'm mostly thrilled with the swatches I received. We spent a couple hours last night drooling over everything in the box. See was so excited that the Obi-Wan swatches were so close to the fabrics she used for her boyfriend's costume. I love this Bail costume so I was so excited to get all those swatches, but I would have liked Padme's Freighter Disguise swatches after seeing the detailed photos in the book. I love that headpiece. Oh well.

I was suprised how large the Vader cape swatch was. Besides that I got similar swatches as everyone else:

0/5 Padme - Senate Dress - Episode I The Phantom Menace
    3/4 Obi-wan Kenobi - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    0/3 Padme - Wedding Dress - Episode II Attack of the Clones
    1/2 Neimoidian Gunner - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    3/5 Padme - Green Devore Velvet - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    3/4 Neimoidian Aide - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    2/4 Padme - Burgundy Cut Velvet - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    0/3 Zam Wesell - Episode II Attack of the Clones
    6/6 Bail Organa - Velvet Senate - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    0/5 Padme - Black Travel Dress - Episode I The Phantom Menace
    4/5 Anakin Skywalker - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    0/6 Padme - Freighter Disguise - Episode II Attack of the Clones
    4/4 Palpatine - Grey Federation Robe - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    2/5 Padme - Peacock and Brown - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    5/6 Handmaiden 1 - Episode III Revenge of the Sith
    0/1 - Jango Fett - Episode II Attack of the Clones

I had a question about the booklets though. I thought there was supposed to be one on jewelry. I was curious since there doesn't seem to be much jewelry in the Star Wars world. The paper dolls booklet is wonderful. Definitely worth what I paid, probably even the steep $295 list price as a collectible in my opinion. It was so fun going through it.

6. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I just got an email note that my book was posted from UK today.

Funny since play.com website reports that the book is out of stock, but I am not complaining.

Now, I've only got 3-5 days of delivery...

7. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Are you talking about the purple or the grey one?

8. DarSolo

DarSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 26, 2004
    There is only one handmaiden costume in the swatches. On screen I thought it was grey and only had 3 fabrics (skirt, top and cape?), but there were closer to 7 lilac purple fabrics in it. We aren't even sure where all these fabrics came from in the costume. Looking at the photos in the regular book I was surprised to see the added detail on the bottom of the cape. I thought it was embroidered on, but closeups in the deluxe edition book and the swatch booklet showed that it was lace, not embroidery work. Unfortunately, that lace is not even pictured as a possible swatch. We were pleased with what we got on this costume anyways because now it seems more plausible to recreate than we originally thought.

Another nice thing about these books, they help to weed out the extremely impossible costumes and thus cut down on future frustration. [face_laugh]

9. Queen_Apailana

Queen_Apailana Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2005
    Gahhh I want that book sadly I am too cheap to get I will wait for the price on the rugular book to come down.

10. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    The price of books don't come down. Some occasionally end up as remainders, which are the bargain books you see at the front of many book stores, but these are all generally books that were over-printed. I can virtually guarantee that this book will never be a remainder. Online discounters like Amazon.com and Overstock.com both have the regular edition of the book at a great price and I would recommend getting one there if price is an issue for you.

11. Alishu06

Alishu06 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2005
    Okay I have the 50$ one and I really like it but I want to see EVERYTHING!!!! lol so do you guys suggest that I buy it??????

12. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Oh well.

Amazon.ca was still showing my order with expected delivery date of 3 October. Considering I', seeing people getting books numbered in the 2,000's I'm afraid that Canada may never see it. An expected ship date of 1 to 3 months was also not promising.

So after placing my order on 28 April. I cancelled it. It would still be a nice book to get but I don't think it will ever happen. The regular edition has been sitting at my local bookstore for a few weeks now, maybe I'll get that. *shrugs*

At least this frees up some money for Chronicles II.

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm happy, my order has changed to from not dispatched to preparing for dispatch, they have also charged my credit card and I can't do any more changes to the order. This can only mean that the book is on its way. :D :D :D

14. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Mine too! I am so exited!

15. jjmaclean

jjmaclean Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2005
    I agree, it is starting to look like Canada is not going to get any. Although when I called Amazon.ca customer service (after spending 15 minutes finding their phone number), they said they had secured copies through their distributors and that they were confident that they [Amazon.ca] would be able to fulfill all of their orders. Although those words sound like a standard response and are not all that reassuring.

Lets hope Canadian Manda Group (the Canadian Distributor for Harry N. Abrams) can get their act together before its too late!

JJ MacLean

16. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Got the official mail today from amazon.co.uk that says that the book has been dispatched. :D

17. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    Looks like we're finally getting the book[face_love] !

18. lavagrrrl

lavagrrrl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    I finally have my book home and out of the box. Wow, it's amazing. I looked through the $50.00 version earlier today and I think the bigger version is well worth the extra money. [face_love]

19. lucialeria

lucialeria Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2005
    I emailed amazon.ca very frustrate about the issue. Got a personal response back from an agent. Wish I'd saved the email but it's already been deleted from my 3 day history save. Unfortunately, not good new, though. She said they were getting their books after the new year. And now my delivery estimate is Jan 16-Feb16 2006. It doesn't pay to be cheap! Any scans of Motee's fabric would be fab! Luci

20. Tenyon

Tenyon Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2003
    I've got the book and I'm in love[face_love] . The pictures are wonderfull and the swatches are great. Well worth the money.

21. Takianna

Takianna Jedi Master star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    I didn't get the preium edition, but my mother-in-law got me the regular edition. I really like it. I think the pictures are wonderful. I was really happy to get it as an early Christmas present.

22. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Got the book yesterday, it's so wonderful. :D :D :D

23. Aure

Aure Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 30, 2004
    Same here, I got it today. Number 2403. It is wonderful. And huge! I thought everyone was only saying that it is big, but it really is! I had to leave it to my boyfriend's apartment, since I was not able to carry the whole box and my other bags with me.

I got quite the same swatches as everyone else. No Padme's wedding dress or Zam. But I am more than satisfied with them.

I just hope that those who have not gotten it already will get it soon.

24. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I had number 2395, and I'm glad that I got the Bail and Motee swatches.

25. senator__padme

senator__padme Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    My dad got me the regular edition for Christmas! [face_dancing] Poor thing, I walked right in on him as he was picking it up at the bookstore. He looked so sad that it wouldn't be a surprise, but I was really excited about it then, so I think it made up for it.. I hope. [face_worried]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.