main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizenjohn

citizenjohn Jedi Knight star 5

May 4, 2001
    My book arrived this morning.

2. TanSei

TanSei Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2005
    I just got my book. Luckily the box was so big that when I carried it in my arms, it hid my delirious smile all the way home...

3. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    You just don't realize how big and heavy the book is. I had to carry mine on the plane in FIDM shopping bag, along with my small carry-on bag. I was sure they would have a fuss at the size of the bag but luckly the flight was not full.

4. TanSei

Jul 3, 2005
    I'm at loss (like you DarSolo) was there supposed to be a booklet on jewellery. I couldn't find mine. Have you had jewellery booklets on yours?

5. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't think there is a jewelry booklet. There is a booklet about the headdresses Padme wears. Maybe someone referred to that as jewelry by mistake?

- kay dee

6. TanSei

Jul 3, 2005
    It's funny if people haven't got jewellery insert when amazon lists is as including as well as the headdresses insert. There might have been a mixup in the original marketing information.

7. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I have the Headpeices booklett, its on page 176 (or there about). After searching page by page, the closest I got to anything was a few detailed pictures of certain costumes. Like the Brooch on the back of the Purple Senate dress and the Vintage Jet belt for the Blue Lace and Linen dress.

8. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/23438/Bild%20002.jpg]

I got my book yesterday. And I'm in love.
    :p

Honestly this "book" is amazing. It's an undiscribable feeling to touch the actual fabric of the film costumes.
    I didn't get any Episode 1 and 2 swatches but who cares!?!?!? I love the once I've got :p

And the pictures... amazing. They are so fantastic that you can make out tiniest details on the close up shots. You don't even need swatches :p

Indeed the BEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT EVER! It will be hard to come up with anything good for my christmas present for my boys :p

9. MarkD

MarkD Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2005
    Hey...great posts here.

I found an email address for Trisha's agent in the UK. I sent an email to the agents assistant, asking if she would be kind enough to inquire about the exact name of the fabric used in ROTS for Obi-Wan's tunic. I didn't expect a response, but I thought "what the heck!"

The assistants name is Maria Ryan, and she emailed me back within two days, stating she would pass my inquiry directly on to Trisha. Here's hoping.

Anyway, I can't manage the book with the swatches, as funds are kind of tight. Could someone who got a swatch or two of Obi-Wan's costume take a picture and post it please? It would be a big help in finding just the right fabric for my tunic and such.

Thanks.

10. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Hoohah !!!

My book arrived yesterday, but I won´t open it until tonight, when me and my gf are back from visiting the parents. I was tempted to open it right away, but this is kind of my own gift to myself, so a little pleasant anticipation is really nice (and builds character :p )

Anyway, here´s hoping to have a few nice swatches inside the book, and a low number (I think its 464 (or 465) of the autographed edition, at least that is what it says on the packaging.

Can´t wait to open it !!! Just eight more hours...

Merry X-Mas everyone !

Michael

11. Jedi_Frodes

Jedi_Frodes Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2004
    I got mine last night and I was so excited!!! Gosh, it's just gorgeous isn't it? I can't stop taking it out and looking at it. The cloth that wraps around it is just beautiful. Hope everyone has a Happy Christmas!!!

;)

12. Padawan_Tai-lin

Padawan_Tai-lin Jedi Youngling

Jul 13, 2005
    I talked with my friend last night (we both have signed copies of the book and the smaller inexpensive one) and she was telling me that here Jedi section of the signed copy came out! And that the cheaper book is starting to come undone as well! My books seem to be ok. I haven't had these problems (yet!) Is anyone else having these problems?

13. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I know that my spine isn't as tight as it should be and it looks like pages could come out very easily if I'm not careful.

My guess is that with the expensive edition (the one I have) they have so many extra booklets and photos that are smaller randomly inserted in there that it's putting stress on it.

14. Jedi_Jaina09

Jedi_Jaina09 Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    The Jedi part sort of came out of my book aswell, but I think it's suspossed to. It's not actually bound into the book like the pages around it, it's just kind of pasted in (like the post card insert in the back).

15. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    Thanks for replying! I haven't had problems but, I've been really careful with the books so, I may have in the future. I just don't want there to be a problem after I've spent so much money! :)

16. Audtoo

Audtoo Jedi Youngling

Oct 17, 2005
    Hi, I'm Tai_Lin's friend. :) The book pages are actually pulling away from the binding, on both my books. They were only glued and not stitched in. So watch your copies, and my book publisher friend suggests storing them flat (vs. standing on a bookshelf). I'm at least glad to hear that the Jedi section wasn't actually bound in; I was worried about that. Thanks!

17. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    Darn, that sounds terrible !

Seems that I´ll have to get the German edition that is going to come out in April after all, just to use it as a work copy.

When I took my signed book out of its case, I was pretty shocked when I saw pages that seemed to come right out of the book ! But luckily, those were just the white insert paper sheets separating pages that had very dark prints :p

Michael

18. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    I had the same experience after looking at mine only a couple of times. Such a shame, it's such and expensive book and it should have been designed to hold up better. I also feel that the inserts arnen't helping any.

- Kay Dee

19. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    Mine too. And all the other parts that are not bound into the book look like the will too probably.
    A well.

Are you talking about the "normal" edition? Nice to know that there will be a German edition :)
    Thanks for the info :)

20. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I posted this same info back quite a few pages, but seeing as the book was printed and bound in China that explains the possible problems with the bindings. I only have the $50 version and when you open it up, it sounds crunchy. What you are really paying for is the color photos (and as we all know there are a whole lot!!).

21. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    I've been very careful. I have only "played" with my signed copy twice and not much with my cheaper copy. Does anyone think the value of these books will go down significantly if they have these kind of defects? I mean, if we all experience them what does that say for the collectors value?

22. ZamIAm

ZamIAm Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2002
    If ANYONE got the Zam swatch PLEASE email me at zamiam@comcast.net or pm me!

23. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    I haven't heard of anyone getting the Zam or any other Episode 1 or 2 swatches... :(
    Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm worng ;)

24. PrincessOfTheed

PrincessOfTheed Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2004
    I was so sad yesterday :_| (well and today) my book has started to fall apart like many other people's. I got the Limited edition one, and for spending as much as I did, I am very peeved that it is falling apart. I think I am going to write a letter to the publisher...because even though it is a big book (i have seen bigger that have held up and not fallen apart), it is unexceptable to me that someting that expensive should fall apart. I'll have to see what they say......I mean that can't really replace the book. But they should at least know that their product is falloing apart >_<

:(
    ~Princess Of Theed

25. Padawan_Tai-lin

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm sorry that's happening :_| When you talk to the publisher let them know the pages are not sewn to the spine but, glued only. That's why the pages are coming apart.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.