main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tips & Tricks Trisha Biggar book "Dressing a Galaxy: the Costumes of Star Wars"

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Woofer, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    For that price, it should come with a costume!

2. liannb

liannb Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2002
    ouch, thats a little pricey for a book

3. Benae_Quee

Benae_Quee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    I suspect this book will be my birthday, chanukah and christmas gifts combined lol. I though ti would be like $150 or $175, but $295 is HIGH. I want fabric swatches from padme costumes as well for that price LOL.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I figured it would be in the range of $200-$225, so I'm not so dismayed. The price is expensive, but I'm likening this deluxe version to be another piece in my small higher end collection of SW things, like statuary or artwork.

5. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    ouch ouch ouch my poor credit cards are cowering in fear when I told them the price.

It'll go on my list, but I'll have to work an overtime shift or two before I can buy it rofl

6. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ouch!! That's like puchasing a text book!

7. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    So aside from the price, the replica wookie belt buckle and the limited number made, are there any other differences between the books?

8. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    The press release said:

"The book will also be available as a Numbered Limited Edition of 2,500 copies. This deluxe version consists of a cloth edition of 224 pages, and includes an additional 32 pages of Star Wars costume imagery printed on special paper and featuring six assorted bound-in booklets and inserts and eight additional gatefolds. Accompanying this collector's edition is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by author Trisha Biggar, and a cast replica of a Wookiee belt buckle. All this is housed in an elegant, padded clamshell case swathed in an embroidered ribbon displaying royal markings made from the same materials as Star Wars costumes."

So I think it's implying that it has the extra 32 page thing, plus extra booklets. Not sure how many pages the $50 one has..

I'd love to get the good one, but it's a lot of $$!

BTW, my initial poll results have 11 out of 119 planning on buying the deluxe edition assuming the price is actually $295. :)

9. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Thanks Maggie!

Hmm...I wonder what those additional pages will fully entail. 'Cause eventhough that's a lot of money, it's very tempting...

10. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    If they had some sort of article showing the extra material, enough where you could tell a bit about it I might be more willing to spend the money. But nearly $300 is like 3 times more than I've spent on a single book, even for school (most expensive texbook ever was $114).

I would attempt to see if my family wanted to chip in for my birthday or Christmas.. but I'd almost rather just have the $50 version and not feel weird about even touching it.. let alone using it as a reference. I kow I can't afford both, so better to buy the one I'd actually use.

Too bad my friends who costume go to school in other states.. or I'd propose to go in together on it and share the use of the extra materials.

11. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    well I think if anyone is undecided, you should just pre-order it anyways. They don't charge your card until the item ships. You can cancel the order up until that point or even send it back. That way you are guaranteed a copy, but can cop out if you don't have the cash when it comes time. =P

12. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    I´ve been looking on Amazon for the Deluxe book, but can´t find it :(

Can someone please post a link where the book is available for preorder ? Especially the deluxe book ?

Thanks,

Michael

13. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
  14. Man_from_Naboo

Man_from_Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    PG, thanks !

But they quote me a whopping 69 US-$ for shipping to Germany !!! It sure is heavy, but 69$ is ridiculous,especially with a 26% tax I have to pay for importing the book :\!

Is that SE book exclusive to SW.com , or will it be available on Amazon, too ? The yonly list the regular edition there :(

Any info ?

Thanks !

Michael

15. Mikazuki

Mikazuki Jedi Youngling

Apr 27, 2005
    I pre-ordered both books at Amazon.com (US).

Dressing a Galaxy: The Costume of Star Wars
    by Trisha Biggar
    List Price: $295.00
    Amazon Price: $185.85

Dressing a Galaxy : The Costumes of Star Wars
    by Trisha Biggar
    List Price: $50.00
    Amazon Price: $31.50

Price for both books if paid full price, $345 but I only paid $217.35 at Amazon (with free shipping). After tax it was slightly under $240 so I still saved over $105. If Barnes and Nobles had the book I wouldn't even pay tax but it does look to be an Amazon exclusive since searching BN with her name or the ISBN yield no results.

16. ryukumon

ryukumon Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2002
    I just pre-ordered the deluxe edition myself. I'll probably just pick up one of the regular editions later on. Can't wait to get it.

Ryu

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm being tempted to pre-order it, now when the price is so much lower.

18. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I just preordered my copy of the deluxe edition from Amazon with 2 day shipping it is still under $200. And the estimated shipping date is Sept 30th.

OHHH, something else to make me count the days!!!

19. FenigDurak

FenigDurak Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2002
    I didn't even wait until I was home to call Mom and ask if this could be my B-Day gift. When she asked the website and which one and I replied, wincing, "The expensive one." she replied with a laughing, "Of course it is."

So hooray! The book shall be mine.

20. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Ooo!!! Such a hard decision. I don't have the $$ right now... but then I could beg my parents.... but that would mean I'd owe them.... *cries*

21. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    Remember, Amazon does not charge your credit card until the item ships. So if you will have the money by Sept....

22. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    I didn't realize that!

*Is suddenly happy again*

Thanks for letting me know :D

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I pre-ordered mine too. *does the happy dance* Between the lot of us here, the deluxe version is going to sell more than a few copies. :)

24. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    I pre-ordered mine from Amazon too! I couldn't resist!

25. j2egoing

j2egoing Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2005
    This is a really nice set they have put together.

Cloth Cover
    Cast Replica Wookie Belt Buckle
    Costume Swatches
    Exclusive Limited Edition DVD
    COA signed by Trisha Biggar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.