main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends +Triviality with Qui-Gon+ ---humor, plants, preJA. ---------completed 6/8!---------------

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Charmisjess, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charmisjess

Charmisjess Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2003
    Author: Charmisjess
    Timeframe: Pre-JA
    Genre: humor, mushfic, characterstudy
    Characters: Qui-Gon, Dooku, a dash of Tahl, Yoda
    Summary: The Council's infinite cruelty gives Dooku the most brutal of punishments. Quality time with the Padawan and plantlife.
    Disclaimer: All belongs to Lucas. No money for Charms. :(

Thanks to Laurie for looking over this for me, and advice on the ending! [:D]
    ~*~

The Jedi Council couldn?t tell wisdom from the business end of their lightsabers.

The thought occurred to Master Dooku as he was sulking toward the gardens, sipping his muja juice and being generally misanthropic.

He was admittedly grumpy, in a bad temper overall, and perhaps it was justified, because he was being punished. He never much took that gracefully, as a Padawan, or as a fully fledged Master. While the Jedi emphasis on humility was all lovely and good, Dooku didn?t feel much up to cowering in contrition after everything that had happened of late. What was more, the Council had acted between him and his Padawan, and Dooku felt strongly that they had crossed a line there.

And if it wasn?t for them, and for their punishment, he might be doing something constructive this afternoon.

As he entered the expansive room, a soft wave of humid air fanned across his face, stirring through his dark hair. The gardens were in full bloom this time of season, bright and hot in the living force, thrumming with life. The feeling embraced him like a lover, washing over his tired frustrations with singing energy. But Dooku moved passed it all, the vibrant green of the ornamental trees, the popping color of the flower beds. He was following a thin trail of a connection through the force, drawing toward a familiar energy, as curling and lively as the plant life around him.

It had been quite the situation, he thought as he went. He and Qui-Gon seldom fought on missions, he was fond of the boy, and generally they got on very well. But like all long-term relationships, they had their little rough points, their particular irritants. For instance, he despised Qui-Gon?s habit of sidetracking missions by taking up pathetic creatures, hopeless causes.

And in turn, Qui-Gon seemed to rather resent having his living force charities deemed hopeless and pathetic.

In this case, it had resulted in a galactic incident.

The Council?s official opinion was that it was a communication problem.

Dooku barely resisted rolling his eyes at the very thought. Communication, indeed! He and Qui-Gon could have worked this out on their own. Certainly this time the argument had escalated a bit...but eventually it always broke down into Qui-Gon finally apologizing, and Dooku admitting that he would have never really dismissed him...

But this time it was different. This time, Master Yoda, out of any number of factors ranging from dottiness to sheer boredom at the lack of Council political drama lately, had taken matters into his own claws. And Yoda had a particular manner of suggesting ideas that made Dooku feel very strongly that wild things like months without being assigned missions off Coruscant might occur if said suggestion was not heeded.

So Yoda had ?suggested? that he and Qui-Gon spend some quality time together, outside of training, to strengthen their bond and work out their differences.

It ought to be said, Dooku thought, that he wasn?t sure how doing something inane would make him feel closer in any way to Qui-Gon, or why they needed to spend more time with the other, considering they shared quarters. In fact, Dooku supposed these ?differences? could be more easily settled with a long, Qui-Gon-free period of time. But he had bowed to Yoda?s manic will, all the same. Spend a day doing something trivial with Qui-Gon. He could do that.

But Yoda hadn?t been finished, the malevolent little troll. Let Qui-Gon pick the activity! For the stars... So here he was, meeting Qui-Gon in the lower gardens, for a day of the force-only-knew... Qu

2. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Yay!!! I'm so glad to see you've finally started posting this one! :D

3. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    I LOVE your writing! There's just something about it that always draws me in and makes me want more. Can't wait to see the rest of this :)

Keep up the great work =D= [face_peace]

4. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Very nicely portrayed Dooku! He has so much to put up with. [face_laugh] Uh, will Qui-Gon give him the bird, I wonder?

There more, too? Oh, that will go well for them. o_O [face_mischief]:D

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved the way you wrote Dooku. He was so offended by the Council and Yoda - indeed Dooku and Qui-Gon could have gotten past their arguments if only left behind. But that he was so horrified about dirt and fertilizer and the bird was hilarious.

Great job. If you have a PM list, please put me on it.

6. Persephone_Kore

Persephone_Kore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2006
    *giggling* Silly Jedi. I have to admit, if their quarrels caused an interplanetary incident I can see why the Council (or Yoda personally) would decide to step in. But I can see why Dooku's peeved about it, too.

I told you this before, I think, but I do love your description of the feel of the garden -- vivid, living, refreshing -- and the way it gives the idea that this would actually be a great place for Dooku to recover from his foul mood if he weren't hanging onto it with both hands at the moment, so he just ignores it all.

7. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    The second part (or, main fic, more, as I imagined this as a bit of a prelude) will be out by this weekend. :D Thank you, all who've commented. Your words are like candy crack to my author ego. :) [face_love] ;)

Laurie: Thanks! :D It took me a long time to decide that I liked it enough to post.

micky-nikki: Aww, thank you. *blushes* I appreciate it so much. Well, you shall have more soon! [face_batting]

ardavenport: Thanks for the kind review, and...your powers of foresight are indeed strong! :D Dooku and the bird have a bit of a connection.

dianethx: I'll definitely do so! :) Thank you for your comments, I always value your opinion so much. *grin* Goodness, I remember you were one of the first people ever to give me feedback, back in the old days of Qui-gonline, and I so much appreciate that you still do. I tremendously respect you as an author, and I'm so happy four or five years later, that you're still taking time to read my fics. :)

And yes, dirt and Dooku perhaps do not get along so well.

PK: *grin* Well, you know how moody he gets. ;) You're very right. A lot of it is a frame of mind thing. Thanks for reviewing!

8. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Master Yoda, out of any number of factors ranging from dottiness to sheer boredom at the lack of Council political drama lately, had taken matters into his own claws.

Gosh this made me LOL!

He and Qui-Gon could have worked this out on their own. Certainly this time the argument had escalated a bit...but eventually it always broke down into Qui-Gon finally apologizing, and Dooku admitting that he would have never really dismissed him...

That doesn't sound like much of a compromise to me... :p

Dooku wasn?t sure where the random bird had come from. He wasn?t sure he wanted to know.

Liked the way he zeroed in on the bird... as if he could only assimulate the present situation in very small bytes of information. Typical of most trauma victims. :p

9. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Thank you, leia! :D [:D] I'm glad you're enjoying!

And here is the rest. I seem to be in a distinctly mush-humor writing mood lately. ;) Anyway, enjoy!

~*~

?What?s, ah, all of this?? It was a well-constructed sentence, Dooku thought, distantly. Non-accusatory. Mild, even. No anger, or incident-inducing words.

?All of what, Master?? Qui-Gon smiled. He just looked so genuinely happy, happy like Dooku hadn?t seem him act in ages, and the Master felt almost bad, because he honestly couldn?t understand why. He certainly hoped the bird wasn?t the reason, because he was never for a thousand planets keeping the thing.

?This,? Dooku tried, motioning at the garden supplies. His eyes twitched and narrowed on the bird. ?...that.?

?Ah, Saka.? For a moment, Dooku thought his apprentice was swearing, but then he motioned to the bird. ?She?s Tahl?s. I thought you might like to see her.?

?Tahl Wildstar?? Dooku asked, glancing around, uncomprehending. He didn?t know why Qui-Gon would think he?d want to see that dreadful girl that he ran around with, it wasn?t as if he didn?t have enough of her hanging around their quarters every second of every hour, of every day.

?Not Tahl...? Qui-Gon seemed as confused as he was, as he reached up, offering the bird a finger. ?...Saka...I thought you?d like to see Saka. Tahl isn?t here.?

All right, that made more sense, he supposed, at least in Qui-Gon?s strange little world. A bird wasn?t much better than Padawan Wildstar, really, but quieter, at the least. Dooku frowned, watching the boy and his bird interact. He really sometimes wondered what it would be like to live in Qui-Gon?s head for a day. The glimpses he saw through their bond were queer enough. ?Oh.?

?She?s very clever,? Qui-Gon said, with the air of one revealing a informational gem. He stroked the thing?s tiny head. ?Tahl found her on one of the balconies. She must have been someone?s pet, escaped...? he paused, turning his gaze to Dooku. ?Isn?t she beautiful??

Distantly, Dooku thought the thing was pretty, although it might have been more so in a painting, or a holopic, rather than on his apprentice?s head. Its plumage displayed a dazzling collage of iridescent purples and blues, and it beamed simple energy through the Living Force. ?Very nice, Qui-Gon.? He forced a thin smile.

?You can have a look, here...? Qui-Gon cheerfully nudged the bird off his head. ?Go see Master Dooku, Saka!?

?Ah,? Dooku watched the bird flap in protest with a vague feeling of unease. ?No, I don?t really...?

But the thing had already taken flight, obediently aimed at Dooku?s shoulder, touched by Qui-Gon?s gentle force suggestion. And the creature might have made it too, except that at the last moment, Dooku ducked down, shielding his juice. It altered its path, managing an admirable landing...squarely atop his head.

Dooku glared out from between tail feathers.

Qui-Gon stared, then clapped a hand over his mouth, wisely stifling any laughter that may have bubbled out of him at the sight. ?Oh...? He had to stop, choking into his hand. ?...Master...I?m sorry...?

Dooku sighed out through his nose.

?So...sorry...? Qui-Gon was still stammering, voice-cracking, and trying not to laugh in the most irritating manner. ?I...just hold still, I?ll come get her.?

?Unnecessary.? Dooku said sharply, and with one quick motion, swooped the bird off of his head. It squawked once, losing a single downy feather, before he secured its wings to its body with a practiced pinch.

Qui-Gon winced, looking at the bird in concern. ?Oh, Master, please be??

Nonchalantly, Dooku tossed the bird into the air behind him.

??gentle!?

The thing flapped wildly, startled by its sudden flight, before fluttering off into a bush with a soft, twiggy crunch. Qui-Gon stared after the creature in shock.

?Adorable.? Dooku dead-panned. ?Thank you for that, Qui-Gon.?

Qui-Gon was still watching the bushes, blue eyes wide. The little bird seemed none the worse for its impromptu journey, and had regained its balance,

10. Knight_Terje

Knight_Terje Jedi Knight

Jun 1, 2006
    Excellent ending! So Dooku too! :) One could see his expressions with the bird as it kept coming back to him! [face_laugh]

Poor Qui...glad to see that Dooku came around to realize that little tidbit of info:

Because he knew what it felt like to be misunderstood.

To be told what one treasured was useless, silly, and archaic.

He wouldn?t do it to Qui-Gon.

Good for you, Dooku!

Great job Charmisjess!!

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.... that totally melted my heart [face_love]

Dooku didn't answer, trying very hard to discontinue with the absurd smiling that the boy's words kept drawing out. Perhaps most recently he had forgotten that Qui-Gon was above all things, a gift.

And that the little insistent sproutings of life, the triviality of flowers could still hold the most profound lessons of them all. Well, he had the moment. For today, he resolved to listen.

And, Dooku mused, once again disengaging the bird, to never breathe a word of it to Yoda.

That ending works much better than the one you showed me... I just adore it! Excellent job. Love Dooku's ending thoughts... just ... *happy sigh* lovely dear.

12. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I loved that the bird wanted to sit on Dooku. I could just picture him being so unhappy at the little thing swinging its tailfeathers in his face. LOL.

And I loved that Qui-Gon was willing to be angry at Dooku for his insensitivity.

And so, very softly, almost under his breath, the boy murmured. ?...just because you can?t possibly understand something doesn?t mean it loses its value...?

Dooku visibly stiffened. His voice changed from exasperated to deadly silken.?You care to repeat that, Learner??

Qui-Gon whirled, hot emotion in the face of Dooku?s ice-cold anger. ?If you don?t want to be here, then just leave! The Council made me come just as much as you, and if you?re just going to sit there and make comments, go!? His voice broke. ?I don?t want you here!?

Good for Qui-Gon. Dooku was not acting like a Master there. He should have been more sensitive to Qui's needs. I loved that he finally turned around and thought about Qui-Gon for a change.

Great job with this. It was adorable. =D=

13. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    He could feel Qui-Gon?s force energy seeping through his hand down into the soil, reaching, seeking something...and then there it was. Curled up in the dark womb of the dirt was a tiny gem of a life, glowing with energy, curious and bright. It had simple personality, and Dooku could sense its eagerness to grow, anxious desire to reach the surface and breathe in sunlight. It was so delicate. It was so perfect.

Aaaaawwwww, they were so far apart on the gardening to start with, it's so nice to see that they do have a bond together and Dooku's discovery is so nicely phrased. The Learner teaches the Master.

?Oh...? Dooku tried to make the sound pleasant. He couldn?t imagine for the life of him how Qui-Gon could have come to know that he had any inclination toward roses. He might have picked one once in Qui-Gon?s presence, and maybe he had a tea cup, or two painted to depict them. It was such an obscure reference that it made Dooku wonder how much of his thoughts routinely drained into Qui-Gon?s head via their bond. That opened up whole new paranoid possibilities...

[face_laugh] Qui-Gon is so full of surprises that Dooku has yet to discover! What a nice little outing for them! =D=

14. micky-nikki

micky-nikki Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 31, 2005
    Such an incredibly perfect ending. You nailed the characterization! =D= Loved it, absolutley flawless =D=

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    ?I don?t need a pet, child. I?ve got you.?

Awwwwwww.... :D

No-one, no-one writes these two better than you. =D=

16. Charmisjess

Jul 31, 2003
    Laurie: Gracias, my dear. :D Yeah, I ended up just cutting the waterfight and stuff out; I rewrote the end a whole buncha times. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out. Can't have *too* much resolution in a Qui/Dook fic.

dianethx : Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed this little silliness! :) Yes, this is my favorite time to write Dook/Qui, even if Dooku is struggling a little bit. I think Qui-Gon's at the age where he's almost as tall as his Master, and stands the danger of being related to like a peer rather than a child, with sarcasm, and all of that. Dooku means well, of course. ;)

ardavenport: Hee, thanks. :D I'm not sure if Dooku will ever become a master gardener, but it's a start. ;)

micky-nikki: Oh, I'm so thankful to hear that. I rewrote and rearranged things like crazy for this last bit, I like to write silly stuff, but hard to have funny things and keep them suitably in character as well. :) I appreciate the comment!@!

leia_naberrie: [:D] You're so kind! I think that's one of the nicest comments I've ever gotten about my writing. *gives Qui/Dook a little snuggle* I always am stressing about whether or not I'm writing them fairly. Thanks for reading!

17. Fifilla

Fifilla Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2006
    I just found this! So funny and cute and lovely! [face_love]
    First Dooku's annoyance about the bird and all the planting and then how he finally understood why Qui-Gon is so fond of the gardening. Very, very nice!

18. dralksakrak

dralksakrak Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2006
    Qui-Gon is so cute in this fic :)

19. Star-Foozle

Star-Foozle Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2006
    Haha, this was great!
    I particularly liked the image of Dooku looking all flustered with the bird on his head, and his attempt at an escape from the gardens before Qui-gon spotted him.
    Dooku never struck me as the type to enjoy getting his hands dirty. Quite the opposite, in fact...this fic was dead-on in the characterization department for both him and young Qui. Excellent job!
    =D=

20. DarthDimples

DarthDimples Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2006
    A wonderful little story.
    =D= =D= =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.