main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation [TRON LEGACY'S legacy] Digitial youth for Luke, Han, and Leia?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Aytee-Aytee, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Back when TRON: LEGACY was released, much ado was made over the technical aspect of CGI facial mapping to erase thirty years from Jeff Bridges to play the megalomaniacal program CLU.2.0

[​IMG]

Previously such attempts at making a character appear younger than the actor was done with creative makeup effects (Mr. Holland's Opus).

What are the chances Disney will take this route? Will they do the Spielberg KotCS route and simply make the characters older (30 years after RotJ) or will they just use Tron's legacy to create an immediate post-ROTJ Reconstruction period?

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
  3. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    If they actors consent to it, possibly.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Nonono, it looks bad.

5. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    It would work for memory flashbacks or something, but it looks too artificial to have main characters based around it.

artooo likes this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I didn't like it in TRON: Legacy and didn't find it particularly convincing (though young Bridges being a program, not a real person, helps suspension of disbelief), so I would not be optimistic about its use in the ST.

7. That Bad Huh

That Bad Huh Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, I mean, Gollum looked better than Jar-Jar...these things do develop with time.

But no, I don't see it happening, really.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    **** it, let's do the entire damn movie in CGI. No live actors needed.

(There was actually a rumor along those lines about AOTC and ROTS.)

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  9. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    That has never been a story telling device in the Star Wars films before and I doubt they will start during the Skywalker trilogies. If the big 3 appear, and I think they are going to, they will appear exactly as old as they currently are and no younger. In the films beyond the ST, this is an entirely different deal, anything can happen in those films.

10. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
  11. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Eh... Why not just write a story where gimmicks aren't required?

I think the Star Wars movies are way too interwoven anyway. Every single event doesn't have to be connected. Right?

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Digital Domain's work on that film was much less successful than digital de-aging existing footage. Look at X-Men 6, Capt. America's Steve Rogers, and Benjamin Button's Cate Blanchette character. Lola fx did the work on those and did a terrific job.
    Basically, they use skin grafting and give existing footage of actors a more youthful appearance, up to 25-30 years. CLU in Tron Legacy was a CG head on top of a actor's body and looked weird.

So yes to de-aging but no to CG modeling. Not there yet. Plus, I want tha actual actors in the scenes, not that CG stuff not ready for prime-time.

13. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    So far the Star Wars movies have not resorted to "Flash-backs." I don't think they are going to start now.

14. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Am I the only one who wants Han, Luke and Leia to be old?

One of the big elements of Star Wars is that it's about generations. Going way back to when Lucas first talked about sequels, he talked about how each trilogy was about a different generation. I want to see where these characters are 30 years later.

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, they could be older Luke Han and Leia. We simply dont know. I will be jazzed either way.

I really don't care. I just know we're getting more Star Wars! [face_dancing]

16. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    They're going to be old. Accept it.

17. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    What's so wrong with having them be old? Stallone did it for Rambo and Rocky and that worked out pretty well.
    We already know they aren't doing the thrawn thing so obviously they'll have to be older.

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

Sooner or later everyone finds common ground. ;)

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    I don't see how this can even be the remotest possibity.

Only in a flashback, and Star Wars doesn't do flashbacks.

I guess visions are flashforwards and flashsidways but the audience doesn't see them either.

20. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Most likely the new trilogy will wrap up the stories of Han, Leia and Luke so that a new start can be made post IX. So I would expect them to appear just as they are.

21. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Agreed, besides with makeup, lighting, camerawork they can make all of them look much younger if they really need to.

22. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I want the big 3 to be old, but if they plan to bring back OB1 I would like to have a CGI Alec Guiness force ghost rather than an Ewan MC Gregor one. Ewan should voice him though...

23. Master Hamahiga

Master Hamahiga Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree, A cgi Guinness would interesting if it looked believable with Ewan recording the dialogue .Although, some may view it as sacrilege since he is an iconic character who has passed. I can see both signs of the issue.

24. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

25. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    Kill it with Force lightning!!

Master Hamahiga likes this.