main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vancouver TROOPING EVENTS

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by haruwindsong, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haruwindsong

haruwindsong Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    There are a number of trooping events rapidly flying past and more coming up. From we have:

From V-Con : "Susan Walsh" <mswalsh@shaw.ca>
    To: "Jeff Currey" <jeffcurrey@shaw.ca>; "Deej Barens" <thisdeej@hotmail.com>
    Cc: "Angela" <commandingofficer@badlands.ca>; <malarat@pacificcoast.net>
    Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:36 AM
    Subject: July 1 Parade: VCON entry

I am sorry it took me so long to get this invitation out to you; I would appreciate it if you would forward it to people who might be interested. Edit for length, of course, but please include my contact email: vconpublicity@gmail.com (and the VCON phone #, if you like: 778-230-1605).

Jeff: please forward to the BC Costumers.
    Thanks - Susan Walsh / VCON 32 Publicity www.vcon.ca
    I would like to invite you (and members of your group) to join VCON in the Steveston Salmon Festival Parade on Canada Day, July 1. It's an opportunity to show off one of your science-fiction or fantasy-themed costumes, and help VCON get a higher profile and attract new members. We''ll be handing out small flyers along the route, and mingling with the crowds afterwards and posing for pictures. The parade starts at 10 a.m., and should be over by noon. It starts from Garry Point Park, at 7th and Chatham. (That's the far south-west corner of Richmond.) We're assembling at 9 a.m. , and have to be sorted out, in place, and ready to go by 9:30.

Wondering what to wear? Remember that it's summer, and you'll probably be on your feet for about 3 hours. Try for something that is showy and easily recognizable; Star Trek, Star Wars, Narnia, anime, wizards, elves, Pirates, Men in Black, etc. Groups of two to six people from a single "universe" are especially effective. If you have a large stuffed unicorn, or better yet, can dress as a unicorn, we'd especially love to see you there -- Peter S. Beagle is our author Guest of Honour this year.

If you don't have a costume, but would be willing to wear a borrowed VCON t-shirt, walk along with the costumed marchers and hand out flyers, you'd be very welcome.

The Salmon Festival is an all-day event, and goes until 6 p.m. It's a big > event --attracts as many as 70,000 people. There's food, crafts, rides, races, etc. so you could make a day of it, if you like.

If you're interested, please contact me (Susan Walsh) at vconpublicity@gmail.com, and I'll direct you to the webpage with detailed information, map, etc. I need an advance head count for the parade organizers, and need to know who or what you're planning to come as. And your contact info in case of last-minute updates.
    NOTE: V-Con has also requested RL, 501st and associate members off the boards to assist with security at this year's V-Con in October. They want to expand the convention and bring it up to something closer to NorWesCon's size in Seattle and need OUR help to achieve this aim.

From Kelowna- Leanne Mallory [maia_vader@yahoo.com]: Penticton Peach Parade Info
    Date : Saturday, August 11, 2007
    Place: Penticton, British Columbia

The parade starts at 10am, but the marshalling time is at 7:45am. This means leaving my house at about 6am, or staying at a hotel in Penticton on Friday night for those who don't want to be up that early. There?s lots of crash space at my place and everyone is welcome to stay - just remember I have a cat and a 2 1/2 year old, though the Darth Kidlet might be with my ex Friday and Saturday nights. I have no problems with getting up early and driving for those who are not early birds. I can fit four plus myself in the Rav and there?s room in back for several sets of armour. I will have two spots available for passengers since Liz and Miranda will be traveling to Penticton with me, but the luggage space can be filled with whatever needs to go.

Finally, the PNE is hosting Star Wars.
    Date: 26 August 2007
    Where: PNE grounds - Vancouver, BC
    When: First thing in the morning

We (the combined Rebel Legion and 501st and associate members), in costume, have been designated Grand Marshalls for the day! To date the m

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.