main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Trouble in the Garden of Eden...

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by DarkJediTJ, Oct 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    As you must have heard by now, At Monash university today There was a gun man. we we're not so long ago pronouced the Safest State in the WORLD!!! Its hard too beleive that their is evil in the Garden of Eden...

Once Again Discuss

2. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm going there next year. This isn't going to stop me, but it infuriates me no end. Who the hell would do something like this?

3. darth_brutus

darth_brutus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    [face_shocked] !

Damn, I hadn't heard about it until now. What is our little world coming to?

*Runs off to watch a news channel*

4. Jet-Eye

Jet-Eye Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2001
    These sorts of things happen I guess, it just happened to be after a major crises so our response is worse than normal...

But it was Vietnamese gang-related, so thank god it didn't involve some form of terror relating to goverment foreign policy or religious attack.

I feel very sorry for Monash, seeing as it is a great university and it is a terrible shame that some fools had to pursue their vendettas inside a classroom...

5. _Holocron_

_Holocron_ Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2002
    what campus? clayton? caulfield? peninsula?

EDIT: nevermind, it'll be on the news in a few minutes

6. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    J-E, don't jump to conclusions about the Vietnamese gang scenario, they haven't confirmed that as yet. Yes, it truly is a tragedy and strikes home (there were kids at school panicing today because of siblings etc), but it wasn't terrorist related and must be taken as a token idiot who wanted to destroy all our personal senses of security. Martin Bryant stroke 2 if you will, but fortunately to a far lesser extent.
    As long as this guy gets a fair trial (I know this sounds sick but we are all deemed innocent until proven guilty, as should he) and this doesn't devulge to a race riot, it can only be viewed as a great tragedy for all concerned. Do not let it concern you as it was a freakish act, rather than a planned one. As long as it doesn't set a precedent for further similar actions (as columbine did in the states), then we can view it as tragic, but not an attack on our livelihoods.

7. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, I'm glad that most people I've talked to aren't immediately jumping to the conclusion that it was a terrorist attack, because that'd be...well, jumping to conclusions. It's most likely another case of a nut with a gun, I don't know enough to be able to say anything about a gang-related attack yet. As Rogue said, let's hope it doesn't set any precedents.

8. DarkJediTJ

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, Its hard too believe it Happened here in Melbourn though. Anyway, It was the Clayton one, thats all I know, Er sixth story. Danm I salut the guys that tackeled him down too the ground. I mean if I was going to be Remember for something like that, I'd retire from trying to do any more.

9. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    It was a shock to me too because I just can't believe something like this happens... and what further more scares me is that my sister goes to that campus and was there today. I just don't know what this world is coming to and who know what other ideas this incident could provoke...

10. DarkJediTJ

Dec 26, 2000
    Yes, Well Atleast you can be sure the your Sister wasn't killed. Both Deaths were men, To my knowleage.

Think
    2 Gone.
    3 Wounded.
    2 Ingured.

11. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Words can't describe the sadness.

We should of learnt after Chapel St. But no, that would be racist wouldn't it?

To single out a culture of violence that is festering in a race of melbourne's youth and doing something about it? We dare not...that's bloody 'racist'... (scoff)

12. Jet-Eye

Jan 10, 2001
    I hate racisim, but I also hate the way it gets in the way of facts. This attack, however, merely described the gunman as 'of Asian origin' and whether it is gang-related I know now...I was a little rash in my judgement.

13. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Just FYI, if you're referring to the Salt nightclub attack that happened recently (locals have taken to calling it Assault nightclub), that was perhaps slightly different to this. That club is notorious for gang activity, Monash Uni certainly isn't. Gangs are a big problem, irrelevant of their race. It would be nice if everyone would stop being so damn sensitive about the whole issue and just start tackling the main problem.

14. DarkJediTJ

Dec 26, 2000
    some of my best friends are Asain, and so you can tell I'm not Racist at all. I respect all races and was thinking that the cops had put their feet in too (See I can use the right "too/to/two" in the right spot! Sorry me and rouge a discussion about this.) far when they said right away that it was an Asain man who did it.

15. HawkNC

Oct 23, 2001
    Well, it WAS an Asian man, but it doesn't appear gang-related, from what I've heard. I have a lot of Asian friends also, which is part of the reason I'm tired of the ultra-sensitivity.

16. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Well, to take the completely racist stance (as I often do) and jump to conclusions, i think this was in some way related to the man's race and that of the victims. Sydney has been plagued with this racist violence for too long, and now it is beginning to infiltrate Melbourne. We must stop it NOW. I don't want to feel threatened and I don't want those around me to feel the same because of minorities taking out their petty fueds on the streets. I'm sorry if this sounds pathetically right wing, but I'd rather live in a safe country than one ravaged with race based street gangs and an element of tolerance of it due to their race. There is only one set of laws, let's ensure they are followed to the letter and not make excuses for anyone. Race is no excuse, nor should it pose a threat to anyone...

17. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    Interestingly enough, Race indeed SEEMS to be an issue.

From what I hear, he felt victimised by his peers and felt his asian origin and lack of english linguistic skills made him inferior, and as he was preparing to give a speech, the horror of what he percieved to be his impending humiliation sent him over the edge.

Also, he seems to of had a gun license and 4
    handguns owned.

The proverbial plot thickens...

18. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    It's alwats about either race or religion. It's just wrong if you ask me. Beneath the skin, we're all flesh and blood.

19. Jet-Eye

Jan 10, 2001
    I agree: it degrades the human being. It is just plain primitive behaviour that should not be present in the 21st century. The idea of fighting over religious differences (in Ireland, in Kashmir) is unfortunately very real, and really quite insulting to the human intelligensia if you ask me.

Living with next to a boarding house with Thai's, Malaysians, Chinese and Indonesians I can tell you that of all the Asian races, the Vietnamese are by far the most troublesome. "they're pyschos lah" is a common answer to the question of Vietnamese, particularly the youths. Of course, I mustn't generalise: I had a wonderful lunch on Sunday in a fine Vietnamese restaurant, all of whom were very kind...but it's the younger set that need to raise their game and grow the hell up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.