main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Troubled Waters] Formerly Known as Princess (Dear Diary Challenge) Entry 24: 7/19 Complete!

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by NYCitygurl, Jan 14, 2012.

1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Nyota's Heart Darien is a secret sweetheart :p He happened to marry spendidly, but I think he's the sort of man who would have married Zoe whether it was proper or not and won't fight her finding love. And of course, he might be the regent, but Zoe is her sister, and Zoe will encourage her to do whatever she likes :p

Mira: Aww thank you! Zoe's baby is arriving ... now!

So, I actually finished the last three entries (about two years late 8-} ) and intend to post them in a timely-ish manner. After a five-mont(!) break from writing, it's time for me to get back into this! I hope you guys enjoy the rest of Josetta's story!

Entry Twenty-Two

It was only minutes later that Zoe’s son was born, but it felt like hours and she screamed and twisted on the bed. I could only watch in horror at the look on her face as she gave birth, then collapsed in Darien’s arms. I reached for her face, horrified, but she was breathing, though heavily.

I began to register other screams and turned my head to see my nephew for the first time. The midwife had already swaddled him in a cloth, but I could see a little pink head covered with fine, dark hairs.

“Oh!” I heard Corene say. I saw Darien help Zoe sit up as she reached for the baby. With admonishments to be careful, the midwife handed the little boy to his mother.

Zoe learned back against Darien and the pillows, cradling her son. Darien leaned over and very gently let the tip of his finger trail over the baby’s face. Watching their amazement at this tiny little creature brought tears to my eyes.

Corene was not so patient. “Can I hold him?” she demanded.

Zoe chuckled. “In a few minutes. Let your father have his turn first.” Seeming reluctant, she handed the little bundle to Darien, who held him gingerly.

I leaned over and kissed Zoe’s cheek. She smiled up at me. “He’s beautiful,” I whispered.

She reached for my hand and squeezed it. “Thank you,” she said softly. “And for being here.”

“I wouldn’t have missed it.”

Darien settled Corene next to Zoe and carefully handed the baby to her. I sat on my sister’s other side and waited for my turn.

When Darien passed the baby to me, I marveled at his weight and his soft, fine features. He had stopped bawling and closed his eyes.

“What are you going to name him?” I asked. “Navarr?” Our father’s name.

Zoe shook his head. “No, I don’t think so.”

Zoe had loved our father very much, but I think she still blamed him, at least a little, for keeping so many secrets from her. Her mother’s family, her heritage as prime. Me.

“Damon?” I asked. Darien’s father died several years before Navarr Ardelay, and I don’t remember him much. Darien and his aunt Mirti, who became the hunti prime after her brother’s death, had been much bigger figures in my life.

“Vernon!” Corene piped up as Zoe shook her head again.

“No, we’re not naming him after anyone,” she said. I saw a look pass between her and Darien, but neither explained. I could guess, though; they didn’t want to name the baby after anyone from the other great houses. The Ardelays and the Serlasts – and especially the king – were powerful figures, but this baby could be the next Lalinder pime; he needed to stand on his own.

Not that Zoe had ever muttered a word about the next prime—nor, I thought, would she; at least, not for many years. So I kept my thoughts about that to myself.

“We’re naming him Nolan,” Darien finally said. “What do you think about that?”

Corene seemed to think it over, but I liked it. I bent down to kiss my little nephew’s cheek.

“Hello, Nolan,” I said. “Welcome to the world.”

Note: The name Nolan didn't appear out of thin air; I borrowed it from another Sharon Shinn book called Heart of Gold (which, like most of her books, is heavenly).

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Wonderful! I love this glimpse into a tender, loving, family moment. =D= Nolan is indeed a nice name. I think oftentimes when you don't name a new one after someone 'important' it keeps the sniping and competition down.

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    It is so good to see you writing again, Nat! [face_dancing][:D] That said, this was a wonderful update. I completely understand their wanting not to name their son after another with his years to come, and I love the name they chose. An excellent, beautiful family moment. [face_love]

=D=[:D]

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  4. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nyota's Heart Thanks! I liked the idea of giving the baby a fresh start, unburdened with a relative's name (a la Anakin Solo).

Mira: Thanks! [:D] It's nice to be back :D

Entry Twenty-Three

It wasn’t long before Darien sent us from the room. “Zoe’s tired,” he said. I could see on his face that he was, too, and the new parents would have many long nights ahead of them. “You can come visit in the morning.”

After the door shut behind us, Corene squeezed my hand. “Isn’t this exciting?” she asked. Without waiting for my reply, she skipped down the hall—to where exactly, I don’t know, but likely to spread the news of the baby’s birth and exclaim upon his sweetness.

I heard a chuckle and turned my head to see Foley waiting for me. “She’s very excited,” he commented.

“She’s a sister,” I said simply. “It is exciting.”

Foley smiled and shrugged his shoulders. “I wouldn’t know much about that—or about being an aunt.”

I felt my smile widen until I was grinning like a madwoman. “Oh, I like it very much already! He’s quite tiny, but he’s so soft and pink and beautiful—handsome,” I amended.

“I’m glad you’re pleased with him.”

“Oh, very much.”

But Nolan wasn’t the only person I was pleased with. I held out my hand, and Foley took it. We walked down the hall that way until he found ourselves outside on the patio overlooking the river.

Unusually, Foley spoke first. “I imagine your sister will leave for the city soon, then?”

I shook my head. “No, I don’t think so. She and Darien will want to stay here. I imagine their families will race here once they hear that the baby has arrived, though, so we’re not likely to have much peace for a while.”

Foley looked thoughtful, and perhaps a bit worried. I met his gaze evenly. I was always the one pushing him for more. I wasn’t going to throw myself at him or demand his attention. If he was going to be mine, he was going to have to fight for me—or at least be willing to tell me that he wanted me.

Foley blew out a quick breath. “I—I don’t know what to say,” he started. “This sort of thing doesn’t come easily for me.”

I nodded, trying to be encouraging, but I wasn’t going to interrupt with reassurances of my feelings.

He paused and then seemed to realize that he was going to have to continue on his own. “I know I don’t ... deserve you.” He held out his free hand as if to forestall any argument from me. “Say what you will, but you’re a princess—former princess—and a member of two of the most important families in the country. Your families—the regent—they would probably want you to marry advantageously, not dally with a simple guard.”

I couldn’t keep my mouth shut any longer. “You’re hardly simple,” I said with a small laugh. “And—you must know—I’m not dallying.”

He nodded. “I do know that,” he said softly. “And neither am I.”

And finally, finally, he bent and kissed me. I wrapped my arms around him and felt the rest of the world fade away.

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, gigantic SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE! Foley is an absolute darling! He reminds me of Captain Rex in laloga's wonderful story arc. [face_love] Foley is so sincere and so plain spoken and so deserving of everything Josetta is eager to give. :) :)

6. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Ooooh, that was so beautiful! I am glad that he was the one to come to her, here. He was absolutely adorable in his sincerity, and I loved her response. A happy, heart-warming update, indeed. [face_love][:D]

7. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Nyota's Heart [face_laugh] Glad it earned a "squee!" Foley absolutely deserves Josetta's love :D

Mira: Thanks! It was about time he did :p

And at least, a year and a half after schedule, here's the final entry. Thank you so much for reading!!!

Entry Twenty-Four

When I was born, I was a princess.

I grew up thinking that my father was the king of Welce. Only five people knew the truth. Now everyone knows, but those most important to me do not care.

I am Josetta Ardelay. I am niece to one prime and sister to another. I am loved by my brother-in-law the regent and by the greatest families in the land.

And by a guard who carries my heart.

And by a tiny little boy who will become a very powerful man.

But that is many years away.

I don’t know what the future holds for me. I don’t know if I will be with Foley forever or if Nolan will grow to be a good man or if Corene will find the place that fits her most or if I will ever learn how to truly be no longer a princess. But I have found my home with those who love me, and I can’t imagine a future that could be even more glorious than the present, shining bright as the sun.

8. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Aww, this was a beautiful, wonderful way to cap this tale off. [face_love] Thank-you so much for sharing - even if a little off of the schedule you first envisioned ;) - and I can't wait to see what new projects your muse inspires in you. =D=[:D]

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Sweet sweet close! =D= If there is ever a sequel, I will be there fast! LOL [:D] [:D]

10. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Thank you both! [:D] And for sticking with this through the long haul. Nyota's Heart probably no sequel, but definitely another story in the universe! I just got a copy of the Troubled waters sequel, which is about Josetta, so ... :D