main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive TroubledAnakin (New art: 21/08/05) UPDATED Dooku/Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by TroubledAnakin, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Okay, so excuse me if anything I do is wrong from hereon in. I'm learning as I go, I swear!

Hopefully, this thread will be full of my art. I've been drawing SW fanart nearly constantly during the last two weeks, and my hand hurts in several places: this is a good thing.

Anyway, let's get started: Here's two of the pieces I've finished recently. The first was a three day job, the second took only three hours. Well, I was tired, and the poses weren't quite right to start with...but I just wanted to see how it ended up finished. I might try again from scratch one day soon, with the more realistic attitude of the first one rather than the anime-ish style.

Now the thumbnails work! Yay!

Alternatively, assuming a time out error, you can find them at these DeviantART links:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw9.jpg]

Obi-Wan Kenobi; Fighting Stance

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw8.jpg]

Obi-Wan Kenobi Vs. Anakin Skywalker

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    ...and my hand hurts in several places: this is a good thing.

A good thing indeed. It really shows in your work. I'm really diggin' your style - it's very loose with subtle details that comes together quite nicely. What medium did you use? It's kinda hard to tell if it's digital or you actually used paint, pastels or something to that effect.

3. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    HanSolo29 What medium did you use? It's kinda hard to tell if it's digital or you actually used paint, pastels or something to that effect.

Wow, there's a compliment if I ever heard one.

In answer to your question, I use a digital medium; and...wait for it... it's not the industy standard.

My family's used Paint Shop Pro since it was in version four, and I now use version 7, while everyone else has upgraded. I've also got an HP graphic tablet. It was worth it's cost, I think.

As for the tools, layers, airbrush, the eraser, and of course the ever important smudge brush, to take the edge off any sharp corners, and to do the lighting in the hair, for the most part.

4. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I thought they looked like pastels on paper at first, myself. ;)
    Very nice job on both of them. I especially like the first one of Obi-Wan. It's very subtle or soft, but still retains enough definition to cleary relay what is fabric and what is skin, etc. Great job, TroubledAnakin!

5. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Thank you for your comments. Urgh, I wish I could get into drawing tonight, but I just can't handle it, so I suppose it's time to fall back on one of my older finished pieces.

Spoiler alert, so it's a link. This is Obi-Wan fighting Anakin Skywalker on that planet; you know the one. It was done with a quadzillion layers, and took about two weeks, but even with all that time in it, it still looks like Obi-Wan's broken his hand. It's -meant- to look like he's moving his arm up to catch Anakin's, and stop him lopping his head off, like a...something that you cut the heads off of. Er...anyway, bad imagery aside, go ahead and click:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw1.jpg]
    Anakin and Obi-Wan Fight

Or, if you've having trouble with that, you can find the picture here:

Alternative

While I'm back here, I'll just offer another mention. Over on DeviantART, I've got a club running, for Star Wars Fanart. It's at this link So if anyone here has a DA account, that's the place to go. It's going to be a kind of phone book for artists and writers, so that they can find other Star Wars stuff easier.

Anyway, enough shameless plugging. It won't happen again!

6. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Just an edit here, to add another picture for you to see. Well..it's a little interactive as it were. Here it is on DeviantART

Hacking the Jedi Code Game

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Your style is very different from anything I've seen before. And you said this was done all on computer - truly awesome. I still say it's hard to tell if it's digital or not. I think it's like that because of how precise and whole your coloring is. It looks just like pastels or paint. Excellent work! ;)

8. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Wow, thank you so much. *glee* I don't really know what to say, except thank you about a hundred more times.

I've been working on this piece for a while, and finally finished it just today, cleaning up my layers, and rearranging the text behind Anakin. It's a montage of layers, as such; with two pieces; one the background, and one the foreground, and the words: "If you strike me down I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." Is it just me, or did those words not entirely fit in ANH? Anyway, the whole concept is Anakin saying those words, and baiting Obi-Wan on. But any more rambling on my half ought to go on another forum altogether.

So here it is, before I bore you all senseless.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw7.jpg]
    Anakin: If you strike...

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I like how you went about the hair. The detail and color you put into it really makes it look real. :)

Just one minor note - the hand that is turned upward looks a little weird. I'm not quite sure, but it looks unnatural somehow. Just thought I'd point that out to you.

10. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    HS29 The hand is completely screwed. It's a little better than usual, but it's still awful. I am terrible at hands and feet, and have been working ceaselessly on them for...far too long. I managed quite a nice one today, on a perspective peice I did - but it was for Gaia, not Star Wars. Anyway - you're in for a treat now:

All the rest of my Star Wars fan art is below.

Starting with Alec as Obi-Wan, taking a quiet moment that the time line dictates he never coule have enjoyed at this age:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw6.jpg]

And then the Slave I, and a very bad planet. I have recently learnt how to make digital planets, but still don't want to change this one. The Slave I looks flat, and to have a very realistic planet would only make the ship look dull.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw5.jpg]

Ye olde Half Anakin/Half Vader picture. My take on the wildly overdone concept:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw4.jpg]

Perspective piece. The artwork isn't wonderful, but there's a lot of meaning in this. Consider if you will, that the distance between the figures is greater than it should be. It started out being an accident, but became on purpose as the picture was coming together. I know it's horrible...but I like it for what it represents.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw2.jpg]

And finally. A humour piece that I did...well, it was the first SW piece I did. I'd just finished the Mandalorian Armour, so I was all hyper up on Boba Fett. And I ended up drawing this (out of a long long list of possible humour pieces - most of which regarded Jar-Jar, and carrots. I wonder where that list went...)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sw3.jpg]

Well, enjoy. I think this'll work better with thumbnails, don't you?

11. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    TroubledAnakin, I really don't know why you put yourself down so much, I think your artwork is greatly done. especially the half pic of Anakin and Vader

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ah yes, hands and feet aren't my strong points either. They're evil little buggers to draw. :p

You put all the rest of your art in one post? I hope that doesn't mean you're gonna stop posting. :(

Anyway, fantastic job. Like I said in the past, your style is very unique. I really like what you did with the Obi-Wan one and the cross between Vader and Anakin. I like the lights and darks throughout the Vader/Anakin one especially. His armor looks very real. Nice job! :)

13. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    I'm glad you liked the Anakin/Vader one. I worked on it in about 1 to 6, or something. This was the first time I'd ever done Vader, and the first time I tried to really do anything realistically (Obi-Wan's Fighting Stance followed this image, you can see what I learnt from doing this one mirrored in that) I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and I'm really glad other people like it to.

As a sidenote, the reason I put myself down an awful lot is because I have an artistic sister who -is- better than me in most things regarding art. She made me look at her DeviantART stats yesterday. I almost Force-choked her with my glare alone...

As for stopping posting here - I don't think so. I can't actually stop myself drawing - and my mind's full of fuzzy half-made ideas. I'm currently working on a full body piece of Luke and Mara Jade - although, not what you'd expect. It's got it's base coat, and Mara has a lot of her depth work completed already, but it still has quite a way to go. Maybe you'll see it in the next two or three days.

Anyway, until then keep drawing, and I'll keep lurking.

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...Luke and Mara. I can't wait to see that one completed! :D

15. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    I warn you though...the title is 'Betrayal' >.>

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Betrayal? Uh-oh, I don't like the sound of that...[face_worried]

I'm sure it'll be great either way. ;)

17. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Eh...I'm working on a generic Saruman/Dooku piece right now, and on Betrayal. But I just started sketching today, and couldn't stop myself. Digitally rendered in photoshop right on top of the original sketch.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/sketchywan2.jpg]

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I said it once, but I'll say it again. You have a very unique way of shading that I LOVE. Great job on Obi-Wan! :)

19. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    *purr* Thank you so much. See? No hands. *snicker* I got away with no feet as well, which is just as well, since I again tried to draw someone from behind. Which is. x.x I need some photographs of peole from the angle I want to draw - so that I can get the position of the feet natural instead of...icky.

Anyway - posting over in the January Fanart thingy. One of my omgthistooksolongtocolour pictures is done.

20. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    I've got a headache, and I want to draw, write and read at the same time. Of course, I want to draw Star Wars, write about Vampires or read Quantum Leap books...but I don't want to be at the computer too, which stops me doing the first two, and I've only got one Quantum Leap book, which I read last night, which wipes out reading. Oh! The humanity!

My February Fan Art challenge entry.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/duelfate2.jpg]

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    tee-hee...you truly are troubled. :p

Love this latest piece. Maul looks fantastic!!

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    TroubledAnakin, your work is wonderful--sorry it's taken me so long to visit your thread! Your style is very unique: very fluid forms and fabulous coloring (which, I agree with HS29, looks like paint or pastels: the opacity and coverage sure resemble those types of media). I think my favorites so far are the Anakin/ObiWan duel, and the Vader/Anakin piece--they're all great, tho! Keep it up! :D

FF

23. TroubledAnakin

Dec 18, 2004
    Hoo. I'm back again everybody. I've been away for a while, I know. Just glad this thing isn't locked. Soo...I post, in the midst of an amazing hyper-fanart-making-rush. >.> It's scary, but I suppose you've dealt with it many a time.

And to think - I just came here for a new background...

No! It's not true! I came to post a picture! Not in my usual style or quality mind, but I'm working on it...unless you feel particularly inclined towards another Qui-Gon as an angel picture...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Liikuma/xokom.png]

I am so slow sometimes that it actually hurts. Ah well - here's something that I did a couple of days ago. It's my friend's characer Xokom Isar with his double bladed lightsaber.

Here's some information just to clear it all up. His mother was a Sith Apprentice, who when she became pregnant escaped by the aid of a Jedi, Ranzel D'Kar and the rival of the father. The father was another Jedi, think of the Bruck/Obi-Wan rivalry. Only this Jedi was caught by the same Sith Master that controlled Xokom's mother. His name was Eroth Ra. The Sith Master was called Braxta, but in the long term he's not so important. Eroth Ra spied for the Sith, even though he became a Jedi Knight in the long run.

Xokom grew up with his mother, Mehitia Memel, on a secret planet. He only had a first name, and there were no other humanoids on the planet. When his mother died, she let out a Force scream that summoned Eroth to them.

Eroth took in Xokom, giving him the last name Isar - which means 'Son of Ra' in the Heiratic dialect of Egypt. Though admittedly there's no Egypt in space. :)

Anyway...his father trains him to be a Sith, and to hate the Jedi, for no reason that he can really understand. At one point he meets a Jedi, who is arrogant, and slightly show offy (particularly chosen for the meeting, because he is probably the most irritating Padawan on campus) and he develops a hatred for him.

Which all changes when he meets a young Terran Jedi who just wants to save his mother - oddly enough, from Darth Braxta, Eroth's secret Sith Master.

Yes - it's all very confusing, and stuff. I had thinking time on my hands...

24. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey! Welcome back, TroubledAnakin! And with wonderful art, too: I like this very much--especially all the fantastic detailing on his clothing! I really, really admire those who can creatively clothe their characters (I'm usually hard pressed to come up with a proper "flour sack" for mine! ;) ). I like the long, long hair, also--I love long hair! :p Your friend/the author must be really pleased with this. Will you be coloring it eventually, or just leaving it as a linework piece?

FF

25. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    You've got very... "flowy" colors, its unique indeed. I like your work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.