main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Troy Denning officially part of New EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarLorrd, Nov 18, 2014.

1. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
  2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Hasn't been confirmed yet.

But even if it a real deal, I'm not sure what to think. Denning's recent SW stuff was not ideal (Crucible, after all the hype, LotF). But it is definitely good to see oldbies coming back, people who are familiar with the universe. I'm more comfortable with that than introducing someone completely new who will ignore some long-established GFFA details etc.

3. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Just a few weeks ago we had a similar listing for a Stover novel that led nowhere, so I'm not giving it much thought yet.

4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think I've made my opinion of Denning pretty clear by now elsewhere, so all I'll say here is that I'd pay Disney quite a lot of money to have him never write for Star Wars again.

AdmiralWesJanson and Lady_Misty like this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Ignoring the matter of which authors we're talking about, I'm more concerned by this part:

"Roundtable Trilogy #2"

Isn't the term "roundtable" what they normally use for series where you've got 3 different authors sitting around the table each doing one of the books? (So, you know, the sort of roundtable discussions that brought us such wonderful gems disasters like LOTF and FOTJ.) And then lets focus on the other part:

"Roundtable Trilogy #2"

#2?? Meaning there is already a #1?? Please don't tell me these are two trilogies of the same six novel meta-arc... please, please, please not anything like that...

Barriss_Coffee and Jedi Ben like this.
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    I think it's only fair that Darth Vader gives his opinion on the Denning news....

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Brace yourselves!

8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

[face_nail_biting]

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Nightmares of the Force (NotF), a thirty book miniseries with thirty authors writing at the same time. And they won't contradict each other, we promise!

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    There are books coming out in both October and November 2015? I hope they've VII prequels. (Hopes for Matthew Stover.)

11. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    #clickbait

Zorrixor and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    I'd guess the "#2" would mean the second entry in a multi-author-series, not that there is a second multi-author-series.

13. Aayla_Amidala

Aayla_Amidala Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 24, 2009

I didn't think of it that way. When I read "Roundtable Trilogy #2", I immediately thought of the knights of the roundtable. I figured with the name and the release timing, it would be a trilogy following Luke and his jedi knights on his council.

14. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    These aren't the authors you're looking for, move along.

[​IMG]

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Oh good, we'll finally find out what Cad Bane's species is.

*gets shot*

16. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Denning is someone I don't mind to much, but I really hope it won't turn another FOTJ or LOTF as those simple weren't very memorable for me. I have noticed that the best star wars books , for me at least, are the stand alone books,like Kenobi or Darth Plagieus, so I hope Disney does that.

Zorrixor and Lady_Misty like this.
  17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Really why are these Del Rey people still on the payroll, they have collectively run the franchise into the ground. They should all be tossed out

18. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    While I don't have anything against them personally, a fresh story group wouldn't be terrible.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  19. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    I can't help but feel they've reacted to the decline by trashing the whole continuity and "starting fresh"... while almost completely failing to understand why it was in decline in the first place. Hence my lack of optimism.
    I promise I'm not normally this much of a dour pessimist.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to agree. Though all they have to do is get rid of Denning or severely limit what he writes about imo. Though, no Allston hurts.

Zorrixor, Abadacus and Vthuil like this.
  21. Joe Kalicki

Joe Kalicki Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 2, 2014

They didn't do the reboot because of any perceived decline with the EU.

Riv_Shiel and Darth_Duck like this.
  22. StarLorrd

StarLorrd Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 18, 2014
    Wouldn't there be some kind of copyright/legal issue with putting Troy Denning's name on a release schedule like that if they weren't actually employing him? I feel like you can't just use someone's name if it's a "placeholder" and you'll just end up hiring someone else to fill a slot.

Robimus likes this.
  23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    But the Stover placeholder seems to have been a reprinting of ROTS, if what I read here was true.

So I'd say Denning is up to something because I doubt they are reprinting any of his books.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    They didn't do the reboot because of any perceived decline with the EU.

I disagree. I believe it was indeed one among several factors for their ill-decision.

25. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    If you note that there's "several factors" to cancelling the EU then why do you say it's "an ill decision" immediately after?