Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russelguppy Jedi Master

star 4
    With only three more books left in the NJO and TOS announcing Troy Denning as writing a mass market paperback trilogy post NJO in 2005, I want this thread to be the home of speculation as to where we want to see the series go post NJO. Personally I'd like to see the big three take a back seat and have more on the Young Jedi, obviously from SBS Troy can write these characters really well and with the time period not being set yet, I hope young Ben Skywalker will be older (perhaps around the age of Anakin in Junior Jedi Knights) so that we can see what power he has (if any). What do you all think?

EDIT-Updated thread title
  2. ben_07 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think it will be about Jacen and Jaina slowly wiping away the last renmants of any aggressive Yuuzhan Vong, Luke slowly handing over the torch to the new generation, and Ben doing remarkable stuff and begining to be trained.
  3. nerdus Force Ghost

star 3
    Sounds about right, there is no way they'll get rid of the entire Vong-threat in 3 books (unless they use Alpha Red, and they wont).

I also think its about time someone wrote "The Talon Karrde Trilogy", that would kick ass.
  4. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    As Luke retires to a more advisory role to the New Jedi Order, Anakin and Tahiri Solo lead these new Jedi through the trials and tribulations that comes with rebuilding an entire galaxy ravaged by the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

Meanwhile, the Sith led by Dark Lord (Lady) Lumiya are poised to take advantage of the perceived calm and reveal themselves to the Jedi once more.

That would be perfect.
  5. Darth_Hydra Force Ghost

star 4
    Hopefully Ben will be old enough to become more of a main character. As far as villains, I'm hoping that it's somebody new and not whatever is left of the Vong after NJO is finished. Maybe we'll see Jag and Jaina married as well as Jacen and Danni.
  6. CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus

VIP
    star 6
    As Luke retires to a more advisory role to the New Jedi Order, Anakin and Tahiri Solo lead these new Jedi...

Sigh...et tu, Genghis?
  7. A-WingsRule Jedi Master

star 4
    If this is set directly post NJO, then :(

If this is actually an extension of the NJO, i.e. it is essential to the story, like the final wipeout of Vong, then :(

If this is cool, then :D :D :D
  8. jawajames FF Pacific RSA President/Chapter Rep San Diego, CA

Manager
    star 6
    egad.. what if it is the Vong's version of Thrawn... a Vong general who had to sit out the main invasion, but shows up and wipes the walls with his superior planning skills

personally i hope that the plotlines do not revolve around mopping up the vong. the vong left their galaxy for a reason.. maybe that reason comes after them to the GFFA.
  9. YodaKenobi VIP

VIP
    star 6
    I like genghis' idea. At least the first part anyway :)
  10. Whitey Force Ghost

star 6
    Genghis, I really like that idea. I've thought about something pretty similar to that for a while.
  11. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    My question is, will authors/Lucasarts remember Lumiya? We obviously do here, but Kyle Katarn barely scrapes for a passing mention in Remnant and he's a main character in video games that are far more popular than the comic Lumiya was in.
  12. jade-sabre Jedi Knight

star 2
    I was very disappointed to see that Denning will be writing the first book of the post NJO. Of all the NJO hardbacks thus far, I thought his was the worst. The plot was OK, but the writing of the second half of the book just dragged on way too long. The whole 2nd half was not written clearly, being a blur of running inside the world ship levitating grenades and firing rifles at everything. Not very Jedi-like. Most of the young jedi characters are so two dimensional that I groaned at every scene they were in, especially the two happy teenage dark jedi running around inside! (Darth Maul and the Emperor are probably rolling in their graves, er, I mean shafts.)

I still need to read Tatooine Ghost and am hoping that will change my mind about Denning.
  13. Brett_Bass Jedi Master

star 4
    Even though I owuld very much like to see a story that is more about the larger socio/political situations in the galaxy (i.e. how the GFFA, Empire, Chiss, Bakurans, Hapans, et al try to put the galaxy back together after one of, if not the most devastating war in history), but heaven forbid that we actually talk about anything other than some contrived Jedi.

We're probably going to get the Jacen's Philosophical Tales Trilogy.
  14. JoruusCbaoth Jedi Master

star 4
    jade-sabre, for what it's worth, I agree with you about the commando mission in SBS, that really did nothing for me.

The battle for Coruscant was great though, that was top notch SW writing.
  15. A-WingsRule Jedi Master

star 4
    I too, didn't like the worldship scenes - i thought they were on Mykyr itself for a while!! :( And Zekk...grr...i hated him
  16. russelguppy Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to disagre with you guys, I'm happy for Denning to be writing this series and I thought his writing in SBS was top notch, Admittedly it did get a bit fuzzy in the middle of the worldship battle as to who was where, but I felt it added to the confusion the characters were facing.
  17. Rampani Force Ghost

star 4
    The wipeout of the Vong won't happen. I have a feeling that they're just gonna take thier ass-kicking and leave. Except Nom Anor. That's what the post-NJO serires is going to be about, how Nom Anor comes back with a plan to get rid of the jeedai.
  18. ezekiel22x Chosen One

star 5
    I can't wait for this series, in my opinion Denning more than proved his ability to write great EU with Star by Star. It was definately my favorite NJO hardback, closely beating out Vector Prime and blowing away Destiny's Way and Balance Point (one of my least favorite Star Wars novels out of them all.) As for the story, I would love to see something that wraps up the OT generation and introduces a new host of Jedi at the same time.
  19. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    Denning is definitely the breakout new author from the NJO, he's more than proven capable of joining the ranks of Zahn, Stackpole, and Allston....ok, maybe not Allston. ;)

It'd all depend on how the final NJO book ends, but what I'd like to see is just....rebuilding. It wouldn't be boring, just through in a little more political intrigue. Have Imperials who don't like submitting to the GFFA, or Chiss. What about that Chiss family that is against the Fels? Stuff like that could be in rebuilding books.
  20. Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Knight

star 3
    A plotline: Tahiri getting over Anakin. She's 16! The belief that she'll never love anyone as much as him is just stupid.

Maybe she'll meet a nice Vong boy and settle down. :)
  21. JoruusCbaoth Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd be very irritated if the Empire eventually is absorbed into the GFFA. If anything, in a power vacuum in the galaxy, they should thrive.
  22. russelguppy Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree the Empire shouldn't become just another state in the GFFA, however I don't feel they should be come the bad guys again.
    Obviously further exploration of the Unknown Regions is a strong possibiliy, as is the introduction of new Jedi.
    Another aspect would be Luke and Leia finding out everything about their mother, however this probably would be more suited (and better marketed as a standalone hardback).
  23. Brett_Bass Jedi Master

star 4
    The Empire is--and I quote--"a proud, isolationist state". If they were magically (through the use a plot-device) made out as being all happy and willing to join the Galactic Alliance, I would lose a *lot* of interest in post-NJO books.

Heck, I was almost afraid that Remnant would end with the dissolution of the Empire (again, for no apparent reason).

But yes, in a galaxy with a weak central government, the Empire would indeed attract a lot of new worlds. They've always stood for stability and a strong military. Methinks that a lot of people abandoned or forgotten by the New Republic would migrate there. Maybe even get a sector or two to change sides (unless that's illegal under the GFFA's new constitution...). Who knows, they might even get those worlds that Pellaeon and the Council of Moffs asked for in Destiny's Way.

Another thing to bet your butt on is further exploration of the Unknown Regions. What with the Chiss and the Empire having relatively close diplomatic ties and sharing a border (somehow...ah, that's right...plot-device...), I think that it would be a safe bet that they'd try some expansion out thataway.

Or maybe we could just make do with getting those 250 sectors back under Imperial jurisdiction, hmm?
  24. Thyrsan4Blood Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think if the war turns out well, I think the Empire and GFFA can be on more friendlier terms. At this point right now, I'd say they are relatively cordial, but I think the GFFA & Imperial relationship is strained and awkard. Much like a former adversary that you are not hostile with for now (and friendly at times), but he is just biding his time for that perfect punch that will take you down.

I too hope the Empire and GFFA never rejoin. Maybe if they were going to do a post NJO in the very distant future (like several centuries), then it would be less of a problem, but unless Jag Fel becomes a Grand Admiral (which ain't happening for a long time if ever), then the Empire won't rejoin.
  25. russelguppy Jedi Master

star 4
    I like those ideas, but Jag Fel as a Grand Admiral?

At the moment we don't know how far the new trilogy will be set in the future, though my bet is on it being in the life span of Ben Skywalker, and if it hasn't happened by the end of the NJO, one of the big three will die!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.