main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Mastaa

Jedi_Mastaa Jedi Youngling

Aug 16, 2002
    They are running out of plot lines......Reusing old ones (Like the Empire) would totally suck.

2. Xenomaniac

Xenomaniac Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 8, 2000
    Am I incorrect in saying that no one ever said it all ends with the NJO??? No, I don't think so, they just said in the past, they did not have any plans at the moment for anything post-NJO. Now they do.

Secondly, I seem to remember Sue Rostoni (sp?) saying that the entire Vong storyline would be summed up with the final NJO book. If the post-NJO trilogy deals with the Vong, I don't consider that being summed up. So, in my opinion, the trilogy will have nothing to do with the Vong and be a completely new storyline. What's the point in having a big final, hardcover book that is announced as the final book in the NJO series, if they are just going to have a trilogy about the same storyline not too long after.

3. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    I personally would like to see the stories get back to what the Jedi are now in the GFFA, what their mission statement is after the Vong War and what they mean to the people, not just more big battles and big enemies!!

4. Tahiri-Solo

Tahiri-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    while the Yuuzhan Vong may hold some sort of role in the new trilogy, i dont see them as the central storyline. If The Unifying Force is defined as the conclusion to the NJO, i doubt the new trilogy will be the conclusion. some storylines may tie in with it, but that is probably all.

I foresee a new threat to the galaxy.
    Someone from the past would be cool, like Lumiya(sp?)

how many shadow academy dark jedi had survived that battle on yavin four anyways? dark siders biding their time, waitng for someone to lead them.

i want to see more dark vs. light

5. jhc36

jhc36 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 19, 2003
    there'll probably a yuuzhan vong jedi sometime in the future...yep thats what i think.

6. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    I wouldn't mins something akin to the original trilogy, with the whole idea of temptation, make the Dark side important again!!

7. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I'll be happy with almost anything, long as it's not the Empire or some resurgent Vong.

8. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    I think the Empire are definitley out, and personally I see the Vong dissapearing with Zonam Sekot by the end of the NJO (destroyed ot otherwise leaving the galaxy). Personally I'd like to see one of the New Jedi really go over to the dark side, possibly killing a friend!!

9. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    The Empire plot line is way too old, I wouldn't mind this new series if it involved dealing with the remnants of the Vong, though that looks unlikely. The dark side plot is so overused it's not funny.

So...come up with a new storyline, or nothing at all. (My message to Del Rey.)

10. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Whilst the dark side plot has been over used surely there aren't that many other story lines that the Star Wars universe can go down, obviously the most likely (but probably not by Troy Denning - his triology will probably concern something else) is the Luke and Leia find out everything abouth their mother/father storyline.

11. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I asked Sue Rostoni, LFL's lead editor for Star Wars about LFL's future plans for Anakin Solo and Greg Keyes.
      Future Plans for Greg Keyes and Anakin Solo
      G12: I'm interested in knowing whether LFL has plans to bring back Greg Keyes to write another Anakin Solo series beyond the one(s) he's done for the NJO.

Sue Rostoni: Until we have a new contract signed for books beyond Del Rey's present contract which ends in 2005, I'm not at liberty to discuss future plans. Sorry --

12. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    If Delrey doesn't get to continue the EU license, who's the next candidate?

13. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I'm sure any publisher meeting LFL's minimum standards for publishing Star Wars novels (i.e. can show proof of long-term quality product in the book industry, etc.) and publishes in the sci-fi/fantasy market or is looking to publish in the sci-fi/fantasy market could make a bid.

Baen
    Bantam Doubleday Dell
    Del Rey
    Harper Collins
    Random House
    Scholastic
    Simon & Schuster
    Wizards of the Coast

Given that Hasbro owns Wizards, and Wizards has had tremendous success this past year with their novels (Salvatore's The Thousand Orcs and Weis & Hickman's Dragons of a Vanished Moon), it wouldn't surprise me if they put in a bid for Star Wars.

And remember, there's no indication that Del Rey wouldn't have their contract renewed. They would have just come off of doing a successful, massive 19-book Star Wars epic series, along with all of the Clone Wars books as well. That is an astonishing level of administration of a novel franchise.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the 2005 contract should go to whichever company can publish new Greg Keyes Anakin Solo novels.

14. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Are you expecting a resurrection of Anakin then, because that would be cool in a post-NJO novel, obviously he'd be covered in the final 2 NJO books but obviously there'd be more room to explore his feeling on resurrection and those towards Tahiri in a future novel. I'm neither for or against the resurrection of Anakin, so both ways have exciting opportunities!!

I doubt the licence would go back to Bantam, but you never know, obviously a strong European base would also have to be considered!!

15. JadedSkycrawler

JadedSkycrawler Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2002
    I can't wait for the little Skycrawler to grow up, or atleast become more of a character. :) I would rather he turned to the dark side though, or be real sullen & troubled rather than follow the whole, be the hero, save the galaxy the galaxy thing. (tres BORING) Anyway, the bad boys are always so cute!!! ;)

16. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Obviously Ben Skywalker is the obviosu lead for the trilogy that Troy Denning is writing, with new friends and enemies, I personally like the idea of him going over to the dark side, with the main driving force being Luke's inability to control him/temper him. Imagine the angst that would cause!!

17. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    Going back to a comment made earlier in this thread, what if the Vong were driven out of there galaxy by something more ruthless, could that thing come to GFFA?

I'm not sure if this could work as I beleive the NJO sourcebook said in-fighting and civil war led to the destruction of the Vong universe. However the idea of a Vong in the mould of Thrawn would be cool!!

18. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    In another thread someone said this trilogy will be titled as part of the NJO and that this info came from SW.com, now I'm not saying they are wrong - but they are aren't they? The NJO ends with TUF, anything after this is something new - am I right?

19. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    That's my understanding. Of course, this trilogy could be the transition from NJO to post-NJO. i would like some clarification.

20. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    From what I can see about the trilogy (which isn't much at the moment) on the Official site is that it will be a trilogy post-NJO, it currently says nothing about it being an extension of the NJO, or being a part of it, check it out here

21. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
  22. Assassin_Caine

Assassin_Caine Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    I don't really think, or want, Ben to be the star of a trilogy yet.

I mean, look at the Bantam books. The twins were born in TTT, there was alot of filler books before we ever saw them in action. I think its a bad Idea to have Ben as a baby, then skip 15 years later, when he's an ass-kicking jedi. BORING.

23. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    So what if we have Ben as a teenager, obviously written in a more adult style than the Young Jedi Knights series, would that work?

24. ElegosAKla

ElegosAKla Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 2003
    Then where is Val getting the idea that this trilogy is still part of the NJO. Neither TOS nor SW Insider say anything about it being part of the NJO. If you're around Val, please explain.

25. russelguppy

Jun 8, 2002
    From all the sources I have seen this trilogy wil not be part of the NJO, it may have characters from the NJO, it may even have story lines based on events from the NJO but it is definitely set outside the realms of the NJO, of course that does mean Del Rey defining when the NJO era ends which opens a whole other can of worms and may be where Val is coming from!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.