main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    I agree with Darth Mane- please shut up and quit moaning about how inevitable Luke's slide to the Dark Side will be. It won't. The Jedi are so freaked out about aggression that they never seem to bother wondering where defence ends and aggression begins, a line that is incredibly elastic.

And as for your pathetic "old and misguided way" line, the Jedi certainly seemed to show know end of aggression in wiping out the Sith, to name just one example.

2. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    ^Little angry there buddy? ;)

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    lets return to topic.. and the topic is not Lijot or others who don´t like the new view.

this topic is about Dark Nest in general.. so lets not forget all the other nice spoilers.

for those who read the summary at njoe: SPOILERS

Do you believe that the Kiliks created the corellian system, centerpoint and the maw? or did they lie? some often discussed and specualted EU debates have been settled by this book if THIS is TRUE. though it seems weird... why should they have done that? how? they are insects... hive minded. from alderaan.. fathers of the corellian system? for what purpose? were there hives there earlier? etc.

END SPOILERS

4. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I sincerely hope that the bug-creatures turn out to be truly evil, and not 'sorta evil' like they ended up making the Vong. That way, Jacen will finally see the light when he helps rescue Jaina from the mind control of the bugs. And Jaina will marry Jag, and Jacen will marry SOMEONE (anyone! Please!) and throw away those bell bottoms and peace symbol necklaces!

All I can say is POOR HAN! What did HE do to deserve these strange kids?

5. Bando_Gora1138

Bando_Gora1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Could the Unknown Terrors and the Dark Nest have something to do with the Yuuzhan Vong Dark Jedi? Read this excerpt from the entry on Kyle Katarn from the Completely Unofficial Star Wars Encyclopedia:

"After the resolution of the Yuuzhan Vong conflict, Kyle set out on his own, and was not seen for many years while he searched for information about the Sith. His travels brought him to Daye Azur-Jamin, who had been twisted to the Dark Side of the Force by a Dark Jedi. Kyle was able to defeat the Dark Jedi and restore Daye to the Light Side, but Daye carried with him a terrible secret. A Force-sensitive Yuuzhan Vong female had made her presence known, and she was exceptionally strong. Kyle and Daye then set out to locate this Yuuzhan Vong before she could cause anymore harm to the galaxy."

What if the Vong is Tahiri? Note how the excerpt from Chapter One on this site says something about Tahiri and she still has the remnants of her Riina Kwaad identity what if after Anakin's death she slowly began to sink into grief and want to forget about Anakin and therefore herself and willingly became Riina Kwaad again?

6. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    God I hope not! I had enough of her incessant whinging and babbling in the Force Heretic trilogy.

7. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    my prediction for the Dark Nest trilogy based on the spoiler summaries over at njoe.com and the spoiler blurb for The Unseen Queen:

The Unseen Queen of the Dark Nest is Lumiya.

Sometime after we last saw her, Lumiya joined a Killik hive. The normal Killiks are peaceful and have no idea she's infiltrated their midst, which is why she only manifests in their collective subconscious. She's still in the process of becoming the dominant part of the collective psyche, which is why the hive's behavior is so confused.

The advance blurb for The Unseen Queen contains these hints:

"Traveling back to the Unknown Regions to unravel the mystery, the Skywalkers and Solos discover an evil far more familiar than they ever expected... and even more terrifying."

Familiar because she's an old friend turned old foe, terrifying because the idea of a Sith Lord (or whatever you want to consider her) taking over the collective mind of the Killik people is pretty bad.

"Why does the Dark Nest want to kill Mara?"

because Shira Brie hated Mara and loved/hated Luke Skywalker, of course. and, of course, on some level, Lumiya is the prototype for Mara, and so there's a certain segment of fandom which would love to see the original having it in for the wannabe, and that adds a sort of metatextual level to the fight.

if i'm right, this is basically DR cleaning up the last big loose end before heading into the LOTF era. it's sort of a Sith revival, so we can have it and be done with it, while at the same time still being something new. it resolves the status of Lumiya once and for all, giving her her moment in the spotlight for those fans who have been demanding it and then killing her off to make way for the new. it gives us Lumiya vs Mara, it gives us a very personal Big Bad for Luke to throw down on to make up for the way some people feel he was slighted in the NJO, and it gives us a good excuse (not as if we needed one) to see Leia fully commit to the Jedi path.

that's what i think.

8. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    nice fitting thoughts maybe.. but don´t forget, the new force philosophy will continue into the legacy era, not end with the dark nest trilogy, I think.

9. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Or maybe Jacen will die and his idiotic Potentium heresy will die with him.

10. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    everyone makes a big deal of jacens theory. Everyone's view is different. My view of god is different than a muslims view on god and jacens view is different than that of the old jedi order, the fact that the rots novels says that the jedi failed to adapt proves that jacens view of an adapted force is possible

11. Fist_of_Mandalore

Mar 31, 2005
    Not when GL says that the Force has clear-cut lines. ie. Dark side and light side.

12. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Not when GL says that the Force has clear-cut lines. ie. Dark side and light side.

But, just because Lucas say something doesn't mean that every character will beleive it in-universe.

You are looking at the issue from the outside. Jacen, Luke, etc are all looking at it from right in the middle of it. You shouldn't get upset because Jacen believes that the Force is a certain way unless it doesn't fit for his character (based upon the experiences that that character has had) to believe it.

Kimball Kinnison

13. Bando_Gora1138

Bando_Gora1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    But what if Tahiri develops a split personality disorder?

14. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    Then she'll have to go see a pshychiarist, or at the very least, a therapist. Which is what I think all the Myrkr survivors should've done after they returned to friendly space, instead of just ploughing into the war again. If they had, they may have not gotten Luke, Leia, Mara, and Han into the mess they are in Dark Nest.

15. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I don't want to tread that boring path again. It was bad enough the first time.

16. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I'm just going to wait untill i read the book to form my opinion[face_thinking]

17. BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN

BIG_BAD_JEDI_MAN Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 9, 2002
    ^^^
    Exactly.

And it's off-topic, I know, but I gotta say this: all the extreme canon-zombies seem so concerned that "Luke's character has been destroyed" and "the people GL pays to continue HIS story are all wrong" and "everyone willing to be patient and be open to new ideas is wrong", but really, to be completely honest, where was the majority of character development done: the movies, or the EU? Luke was on screen for less than 6 hours, hardly enough time to develop a truly in-depth character pattern. And on that note, what exactly is Luke's "true character" anyway? (riddle me that, FanMan)

Anyway, as I too will be waiting to post my own opinions, I will however say that the summary provides interesting food for thought, and I personally can't wait for the spoiler ban to be up so I can start some threads ;)

18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    to be completely honest, where was the majority of character development done: the movies, or the EU? Luke was on screen for less than 6 hours, hardly enough time to develop a truly in-depth character pattern. And on that note, what exactly is Luke's "true character" anyway? (riddle me that, FanMan)

Good question... :eek:

19. HanSolOKniser3

HanSolOKniser3 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2003
    Even though I'm trying to avoid spoilers for these books, I haven't been able to resist peeking into these threads because people here are freaking out!

How wonderful!

Hopefully the trilogy can live up to the hype.

[face_peace] :D [face_monkey]

20. Blondie_JediKnight

Blondie_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    where did you find the Jaina stuff on njoe.com?

21. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    http://p098.ezboard.com/funjoefrm81

22. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    Oh man. This trilogy sounds really, really stupid.

23. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    jaya02, I agree 100% with you on that. We can hope that by the end of the series, they'll have come to their senses enough to realize they needed help and then get the belated therapy they need. In so doing they finally recover from the ordeal. Thought it seems from the spoilers that Jacen and Tenel Ka have already begun receiving that kind of therapy, but in their case they helped each other.

In a way, they're going through what Luke did after DE. Rather than take the time to recover, get counseling, and take the time to fully absorb the impact the experience had on his life, he plunged ahead, believing what he was doing was right, even though he knew he had no idea if the path he was taking was correct. It was only thanks to Mara that he realized he was creeping back towards the dark side.

The same could be said about the survivors - they're on a path to the dark side, or in Jaina's and Zekk's cases back to the dark side, but it's a winding path rather than a direct one. So they don't know that they're falling to the dark side, as compared to the way everyone knew that Jaina was willingly taking the dark path in Dark Journey.

And I'm including Jacen with the survivors. It might have been necessary for him to adapt Vergere's views in order to survive and escape from the Yuuzhan Vong, but I'm beginning to think he never took his uncle's suggestion and "take a vacation" from Vergere in Destiny's Way. As I understand it, he acknowledged what he did and made a sort of peace with himself on his actions. But I'm beginning to think he doesn't realize how much it had affected him. Changed the way he views things. When the time comes when he does realize it, he'll have to decide if he likes the changes and either take Dooku's path or redeem himself. I think it'll be the latter.

I'm also in agreement with what someone said in this forum about the Jedi being back on track by the end of the trilogy. However, I'm thinking that when they do so, they'll be carrying the one piece of Vergere's beliefs and teachings that I think everyone here can admit is true. I don't mean about the part of there being no dark side. That part is wrong, and I admit now that there's no real way to find a middle ground between the light and the dark that'll keep you in the light. I'm referring to the question she asked Luke in Destiny's Way: "If the Force is life, and the Yuuzhan Vong are alive, and you cannot see them in the Force - then is the problem with the Yuuzhan Vong, or is it with your perceptions." Luke admitted in TUF that there's much more to the Force than they realized. That the Force is much broader than they realized, and it was because of their, shall we say, "narrow vision" of the Force that they were unable to sense the Yuuzhan Vong in the Force. I think Jacen has begun the process of "expanding" their understanding of the Force by learning all the different methods of the various Force sects he visited. And I think the Jedi will continue doing that in the Legacy series, though they'll need to keep in mind the distinction between the light and the dark.

24. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Actually, I think the fact that they simply soldiered on is likely to be more benificial to their mental and emotional health in the long run than temporarily unburdening themselves to some NR-approved grief counselor.

25. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    *shudder* A Bothan [face_plain]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.