main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    *pops wrist vibroblade*

No, a Mandalorian.o_O

2. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    In the real world people like Jacen, Jaina and their lot from the SbS would have a high suicide rate - plus domestic violence aplenty etc - if they would just soldier on. In the SW universe things are of course little bit different, but then the story about how the heroes spent years visiting medics to get their mental problems solved would probably not be a bestseller... ;)

3. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually, I think the fact that they simply soldiered on is likely to be more benificial to their mental and emotional health in the long run than temporarily unburdening themselves to some NR-approved grief counselor.

pretty much the entirety of what is known about Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder would disagree with you on that. the Myrkr mission would have screwed these kids heads' up good, and "soldiering on," as you put it, probably made it worse.

4. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    All dependant on what you choose to believe. There's conflicting evidence aplenty within that particular area of study, a lot of it driven by the fact that "grief counseling" and whatnot fit nicely within the current mindset of the glorification of victimhood as a state of being.

I say just stuff it, and carry on.

5. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    I would imagine going mad with rage and blowing the **** out of anything in range would be more helpful, to me at least, emotionally then "soldiering on" Of course, I'd die right quick, but who cares. By that time my psyche would be shattered by seeing the galaxy, my friends and family die. But I'd have great fun dying.

6. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    There's always that, of course.

7. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    all a NR phychitrist would do is tell them they are fine and to go back to fighting

8. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    Thanks for your support, JediAlly. I pretty agree with everything you posted as well.

And as for you, Mr. Mandolorian, I just have one thing to say: nuh-Uh!!![face_shame_on_you]

What you proposed (i.e. the survivors just simply continuing on with their lives) would have, and now obviously has, created problems for all those around them. The Myrkr survivors could've received daily therapy while still serving in the military, and that way they would've have learned how deal with what they went through and STILL get on with their lives. What you proposed is proposterous, as others here who mentioned PTSD pointed out beforehand. Plus, I refer you back to what JediAlly said concerning Luke in DE on the previous page of this thread. And finally, what you suggested is what I would likely do, if I were in that situation, and everyone who knows me knows that that's the first sign that your idea is wrong. Do I as I say; not as I do. :):p

9. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    I hate this mentality. This mentality is the only thing that's "really really stupid." Don't judge a book before you read it, even based on a summary. I've personally been only minorly spoiled by this thread and the other one, and intend to keep it that way till I read it sometime within the next few weeks. But to dismiss it out of hand before you even read it - that is stupid.

LijoT, I can understand (and to a point, even share) your concerns. But I think you're getting more than just a little overworked up about it, especially without having seen it through to its conclusion. I think Luke's taking this path may be even somewhat logical in the face of the end of the NJO. Jacen, who believes all this Potentium stuff is the one who pretty much determined the whole end of the YV war. Because he influenced ZS, the world-brain, and destroyed Onimi - apparently (at least to everybody in their universe) by embracing this view of the Force.

Now, if this view of the Force worked that well for Jacen (who seems to exemplify Luke's hopes for the NJO in a lot of ways [though obviously not all]) and the galaxy as a whole (hard to argue it didn't make a difference in the war, as the Vong were winning until all that happened), doesn't it make a lot of sense for Luke and the rest of the Jedi to take the same kind of view? My guess is that good old Tailone is going to clear up a lot of things by the end of DN. Chill on the "character assassination" theme, and just see how it comes in the end.

10. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20050718_bg.jpg]

TOS has just posted the cover for The Swarm War - for those without hyperspace, this is our first chance to see it - what does everyone think?

11. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Roughly what we thought when they posted it a few days ago. ;) Seriously, check out earlier pages of this thread (I'll try to find the exact areas) and some of the other threads, and you'll see a lot of reaction. :D

Edit: I can't find those exact pages at the moment, as I'm in a rush, but they're around. Just keep looking. :D

Edit 2: Not a bad find, actually, as I think that it hasn't been posted on these boards, yet. I'm getting myself confused. Look at the boards over at NJOE for discussion.

12. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I think I've lost all hope for this trilogy.

13. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    I actually think it will be a turning point for future EU set after the NJO and a brilliant set up for the Legacy series, where everything may return to "normal" - I can't wait :D)

14. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    With everything else coming off of this trilogy sounding AWESOME, I do admit the stuff about Jaina and that Swarm War cover give me pause.

15. Divia

Divia Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2005
    Eh, I read the summary that someone posted about the book. It sounds Ok, but nothing I"m gonna rush out and buy. Maybe the next one will be more interesting and foucs on Leia? Maybe? Oh who am I kidding???

16. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I read the summary, and I read the spoilers, and it just sounds...bleh. Like the authors forgot that they were writing Star Wars, not Star Trek. Killik? Killik? Do you mean Borg? :rolleyes:

17. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Heh. Palpa-Luke.

18. WarmasterDan

WarmasterDan Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 3, 2002
    I agree. I'll be getting the book from the library now instead of buying it.

19. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Needless to say, I totally disagree.

PTSD counseling is in many ways blown ludicrously out of proportion to its effect or neccessity. While I won't deny that there are instances where it can be of some use, endlessly centering on, and agonizing over your negative emotions is ultimately only counter-productive

A good example of this can be observed in the psychiatric treatment of many Vietnam vets, therapy for whom consisted of repeatedly retelling their more unpleasant experiences to release fear and anger.

For the great majority of them, it only made whatever problems they were suffering worse.

20. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    i'm sorry, Q_M, you simply don't know what you're talking about on this issue.

21. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    I have to disagree with you once again, Quiet_Mandolorain. But it's obvious to me that you have strong beliefs concerning this subject - as much as I do - and therefore it would be fruitless for me to attempt to convince otherwise. So I'll just let this arguing point go.

22. Blondie_JediKnight

Blondie_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2005
    Just bought the book...
    Nooo! They made Jag the leader of the Chiss forces! His job is to track down the "rogue" jedi. One is Jaina! :_| By skimming the book I got the impression that the Chiss and the NR are on 2 different sides, the Chiss being evil. Atleast Jacen and Tenel Ka are together!

23. Jediksten

Jediksten Jedi Master

Aug 6, 2002
    Ok I am a very bad lurker and hid out here and in the fanfiction area. With that said I just got the book this morning and read it allready and lets me say

Oh my lovely Pearls!! Let me say a couple of things. Fiannly Luke and Leia are going to find out about their mother b/c of R2. Jacen and Tenal Ka are together and in my opion I think that the baby, that we heard so much about, is going to be theirs. Jag and Jaina:_| NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Jag needs to get a blaster and just shot the daylights out of Zekk [face_mischief]. I really do not like Zekk :oops:
    Ok I feel better now that I vented at someone who knows what I am talking about
    Laters

24. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Post traumatic stress disorder is an odd one honestly.

With so many veterans, why is it only now that it seems such a major concern? How many victims exist versues the not.

In any case, Jaina and Jacen don't suffer "post traumatic stress syndrome." They suffer survivor's guilt, which is an entirely different disorder. The problem is misdiagnosis in this case since there's a wide varieties to the encounter than this. In this case, PTSD is entirely different and not at all what they seem to have experienced.

25. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    PTSD? Jaina? Nay, just PMS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.