main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    "PMS, Rendered in Stunning 2D" you mean?

E_S

2. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Your paucity of consideration is truly breath-taking.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The point ironically that Q_M is making is actually a valid, if limited complaint. The "trudge it on" option clearly isn't for everyone as so many horrified and damaged brains attest post the war. However, some treatments can be very damaging to the psyche.

4. Occo_Ninebar

Occo_Ninebar Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2002
    *tasers everybody who keeps blabbing about PTSD*

*tasers everybody who keeps yelling about how DN:JK screws up Luke's character*

*tasers everybody who keeps mourning and/or rejoicing in the fate of their preferred romantic relationships*

*tasers everybody who hates the book*

*tasers everybody else*

*tasers self, laughing like a maniac*

But seriously, folks. Am I the only one who's highly freaked out about this whole hive-mind thing? I mean, are we ever gonna get the old Jaina, Tahiri, and Tesar back? Raynar's a lost cause, of course, but still... (Oh, and incidentally, I DON'T think any characters needed a personality reboot.) But on the other hand, is it all that different from Zonama Sekot? While the native Killiks, of course, have little concept of individual free will, Joiners (or "bughuggers", as both Han and I like to call 'em) retain their individuality while simultaneously participating in a massive unity. It actually reminds me of Gaia from Foundation's Edge by Asimov. I s'pose I just cared less when I read that because Asimov was so cruddy at creating individual characters. But meh, off-topic. As for Luke falling to the dark...I think it's true, and it's not ruining his character. Hasn't anyone ever heard the phrase "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist" or something like that? Same goes for the dark side here. Luke no longer believes in the dark side as it was taught to him...so he'll fall further and further in without realizing it. Whatever, I'm getting tired. Signing out.

5. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    That quote is from The Usual Suspects actually, fantastic quote.

I'm up to page 330 right now, and I have a few questions....

Why did it come with Ylesia as the eBook, when Fool's Bargain would have been more appropriate?

And basically, the entire book/trilogy revolves around Star By Star, Tatooine Ghost, and Survivor Quest/Hand of Thrawn.

6. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Why did it come with Ylesia as the eBook, when Fool's Bargain would have been more appropriate?

Because Fool´s Bargain is already published in the paperback version of Survivor´s Quest?

7. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Poopy on that.

8. Jedi_AnakinSolo

Jedi_AnakinSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2005
    i think the books will be good i liked the first one and i liked the NJO and think they have a great story with these characters

9. Pyroooo

Pyroooo Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2005
    As for Luke, he will have to prove, in a lightning display of Force strength and swordplay, that he is -- beyond a shadow of a doubt -- the greatest Jedi Master in the galaxy.

Anyone get the impression that Luke is gonna be going up against some other Jedi masters? The way i read this it seems he will be proving himself better than other Jedi Masters... if this happens it begs the question why is Luke going up against his own Jedi [face_thinking]

10. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    The way i read this it seems he will be proving himself better than other Jedi Masters... if this happens it begs the question why is Luke going up against his own Jedi

I didn´t get that impression, but if that would happen, the reason could simply be that some of them would support Galactic Alliance and Cal Omas against Luke and his plans. TJK and the Unseen Queen excerpt would imply that Corran Horn could be such a Jedi Master. And then there are those who have taken Vergere?´s view of the Force as they own and don?´t have the same doubts of it that Luke himself has in TJK.

11. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    I assume that Luke basically uncovers the truth of the Force, and shows his Jedi the right way to view it - i.e, going back to the light/dark view, not this mixed up, 'grey' thing that's sending his Jedi slowly down the dark path. And, of course, he'll go all TUF-stylee and rock out as only the Jedi Grand Master can against the Gorog/Lomi/whatever ultimate bad guy presents itself.

Oh, and Celestials = Whills, anyone? Opening for mucho Legacy/Whills goodness, you think?

12. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    I agree.

13. Tenn_Solo

Tenn_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Ok. I just read the Joiner King, (warning spoiler alert) I was just wonderig if anyone else kinda thinks that the whole Jaina/Zekk sharing one mind thing is just a little bit too "get a room" for their tastes.:confused: I mean, I like Jaina/Zekk romance[face_dancing] , and Jaina/Jag:p , but Jaina-Zekk/Jag?:eek: Even they seemed a bit freaked out by it, especially when Zekk agreed that "We are so over him." referring to himself and Jaina being over Jag.[face_laugh] What's the world coming to?:_| (end spoiler alert)

On another note, who do you guys think the Hidden Queen is? I think it might be referring to like, Padme or something[face_laugh] ...bet you didn't even think about that one. If you've read Joiner King, you might understand where I'm coming from. I also think it might be Tahiri, Mara, Jaina, or Lomi Plo(whoever the Force she is:confused: ).

14. Senator_Lorena

Senator_Lorena Jedi Master star 2

Oct 21, 2003
    I just finished the book. The whole storyline is weird. It seems the creators of the plot were at a loss on how to follow up the Vong war. Using insects as the basis of the next conflict presents an uncomfortable premis for me. The Joiner concept makes me worry about the characters. The characters affected by the mind meld seem to be going in a direction that makes me wonder if they will ever be "normal" again. Will they be about to relate to anyone outside the "Jedi hive"?

I'm willing to give the next book a chance. I hope the story will captivate me beyond my concerns.

I did like Leia's decision to become a Jedi. It's about time!

I also liked how R2-D2 is found to hold mysteries about Padme. He's a remarkable little droid who will hopefully give up secrets to Luke and Leia.

The part early in the story in which Luke gains the unwanted attentions of the Ish Tibb were very funny. I wish there were more moments like this in SW EU.

That's my two cents!

~SL~

15. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    well... i think denning said that the reason people became joiners was that they lacked direction in their lives... Jae Juun firmly wants to be the next han solo, that's why he's okay, the SBS team were so young when they were thrust into the war, now it's over, and they don't have to be soldiers anymore, what do they do? They're kinda de-facto Jedi, doing it because it's what they were trained to do, and it's what they had to do.

Jacen has direction, he's determined to find the answers to his questions, and has been trying to do so for the last five years.

I think the SBS need a short sharp shock back to reality, and they'll get one soon. What i'd pay to see is Luke fighting all the joiner jedi, pwning their butts and sending them back home crying

16. Senator_Lorena

Oct 21, 2003
    And one more thing: I did not like how Jacen and Tennel Ka's reunion was handled. Unless I misunderstood something, it seems Jacen had to sleep with her to receive her help. He was later referred to as her "consort". In most cultures on Earth this means a marriage took place. In Hapan society it seems to mean he is her current "favorite". There was no romance. There was no desire on her part to truly treat Jacen differently. She seems to have not tried to change her world. Yes, she said, "I will not play with you Jacen Solo." But it seems she did unless their relationship took off and there is more committment than the book describes. We just have to assume.

Of course, the influence of the Killiks (sp?) could explain some of his actions, but he claims to be of his own mind.

OK, enough ranting.

~SL~

17. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    yeah... the whole consort thing was put down to the hapan jealousy/desire for scandal, jacen didn't sleep with her for the fleet, and tenel ka didn't sleep with him before giving him the fleet. The war stopped their relationship blossoming, I think they realised just how natural their relationship was after seeing eachother for the first time in years, and followed their instincts.

I've been known to never see the bad in people, but while i didn't find it the most romantic thing, i didn't find it cheap or grotty in any way

18. Senator_Lorena

Oct 21, 2003
    I'm conservative about sexual relationships. I tranfer that in my reading of SW characters. I guess I am disappointed that Jacen just saw her for the first time in five years and got with her in a situation that could be interpreted as being reciprocal for a type of war effort.

I don't know if Jacen has had any other sexual experiences. I do not think he has. I wish it had not happened in that way. I guess I see it as his life being cheapened in a way.

19. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Lorena, that was the whole point---the ROTS parallel is the real dark nest. A nest is a family, and as Skywalker slowly learns of Haydon's past, and his emotions, he'll then review his new Force mantra of no dark side. And after years of combative fighting, it;s only natural the wizards aren't as quick to meditate any more.

It was love that undid Haydon, and it was [face_love] that sent the Hapan fleet; Tenel wouldn't have done it for me. She sent it just for a kiss, really, and galactic responsibilities be damned. Walking the moral gangplank over Gand-infested waters was a great storyline!

20. Msst

Msst Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    If you read the Young Jedi Knights series you would understand what a deep connection Tenel Ka and Jacen have with eachother. Even in one of the books from the NJO it makes a comment on Tenel Ka still having feelings for Jacen. I hope they develop their relationship even more as the series goes on. I was very upset that most of the writers completely forgot about all that background that Tenel Ka and Jacen have together. I mean, If I'm not mistaken wasn't Tenel Ka Jacen's first kiss anyway? (In the Young Jedi Knights Series) Anyway, I have no problem with this relationship and was THRILLED when I read that chapter!

21. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Jacen and Tenal Ka do have feelings for eachother but that didn't stop them from using eachother and by doing that especially for Jacen who is more powerful than he should be is quite dangerous.

22. Clonemenace

Clonemenace Jedi Master

Mar 22, 2004
    Interesting view on the Jacen/Tenal Ka relationship Excellence. It seems a lot of people view it as two people using each other. You look between the lines in a lot of your posts, even if I don't agree with all of it I applaud you for that.

I do believe there was love being shown between the two in that chapter. Or at least I want to believe it.

23. DarthRotten

DarthRotten Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2003
    Some people in here need to grow up a little. Jacen and Tenel are 26 years old! They are basically childhood sweethearts whose love never really had a chance due to destiny, the Force, what have you. They still have feelings for each other but their destinies are on different paths. So they decided to just enjoy what little they could have together. Jacen didn't sleep with Tenel to get the fleet. He slept with Tenel because he wanted to. The fact that she would then be more inclined to send a fleet is just secondary. If Luke and Gariel had slept together when he went to Bakura to secure her fleet to end the Correllian Crisis, would people still be complaining? The situation is exactly the same.

24. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Jacen only went to Tenal Ka to get a fleet, yes TK would have given it no matter what but she had added an agenda to it by trying to get the consorts jealous in which Jacen after saying no finally agreed i'm sure they enjoyed their time together and with an added bonus it served both of their purpose.

25. Tenn_Solo

Tenn_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 29, 2005
    Wow. I never knew there were so many Jacen/Tenel Ka fans. All I can say about their little moment in Joiner King was that I had a gloating smile on my face when I read it to my dad. I also remember clearly that I jumped to my feet and began running around the room screaming, "It's about bloody time!" And got yelled at by my mum.:p

So...any Jaina/Zekk supporters out there?[face_dancing]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.