main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Troy Denning's Dark Nest trilogy (spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by russelguppy, Jun 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Yeah it's like saying i'm going to live forever and it may actually happen:p

2. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Is Unseen Queen coming out on 27/9?

3. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Yeah, that's the official release date in the U.S. No guarantee every store will stick to that though.

4. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

I won't finish Memories of Ice in 2 weeks. This could be tricky . . . but tricky is an edible dish.

5. Terje_Lisan

Terje_Lisan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 12, 2005
    :_| I don't want to wait another week for Unseen Queen to come out and then wait another week just to find time to go to the bookstore and buy it! Not fair and there are still no spoilers out! The wait is killing me. maybe I should just go Sith, stop by the publisher house and force them to release it early.[face_devil]

6. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Yeah i get too excited i got a week to to get it and it feels like forever:D

7. Uriden

Uriden Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Now, I'm a pretty die-hard J/TK fan. (Also a first-time poster, long time reader, yada-yada-yada).

So I'll be a little biased in my statements, but I think we all are :p.

Everyone has been hitting on the two of them for the chapter together, when I actually think Denning wrote the two of them about as good as I've ever seen them. Tenel Ka is a shrewd leader (as I'm sure we all figured she would be), and Jacen has grown in so many different directions since NJO started, that it's only natural that things would be different between the two. You could almost feel the nerves with each other when they began speaking, but everything on a subconcious level seemed rather normal (how Tenel Ka was so happy to see him, staying close to him the whole time etc). It seems to me like what came out of their mouths was not a reflection of what both were thinking, or what they were acting out with body language (Tenel Ka crying? I doubt most of her court has seen that happen!)

I had trouble descerning the line where Jacen talks about his loneliness when he sees her cry, and how he wants to kiss her: is that for himself, or because he really still loves her and wants to comfort her? This is where I wish facial expressions could be added! Would probably answer that nice and quick.

But everyone talking about the two of them using each other seemed drastically off from what I gathered when I first read it, and again on my second and third read-throughs (just the chapter, what can I say :D!). It seemed to me as though Jacen was very much against the idea of just sleeping with her for the sake of sleeping with her, not wanting to be her "paramour", to which she replies that she would "never play with [him]".

The rest of it seemed to just be their usual banter, which I quite liked (sounds like something I would say to my girlfriend, with a stupid grin on my face). Of course, its totally grey, because depending on how you read it first, you'll get the idea in your head that they're either being playful with each other, or really using each other, which would make my view of TD's writing take a bit of a dive. I loved SbS, and when I heard he would be writing this series, I was extremely hopeful (and aparently rightly so!) that we'd get a bit of J/TK! If the pregnant rumours are true, my bet is J/TK, with some serious book time devoted to the two figuring out how in the world they're going to make something work with each other. May whatever deity watches over the SW universe watch over the poor sucker of a kid that gets these two as parents! They'll make Han and Leia's relationship look like cake.

And just to throw in my half-cent into the whole dark/light/grey debate: I can't exactly remember when Lucas stated that the force was black and white. Because if it was after Episode III, I'd find that a little strange, as one of the defining lines for me in the movie was "Only Sith's deal in absolutes,". Granted, we've always had that view that the Jedi can only be Light, but I'd highly disagree in the sense that emotion is the key to power, but it's been shown that GOOD emotions can also lead to power. It isn't just anger and hate that do it, it also seems that love and selflessness (in the form of willing self-sacrifice or something similar) tend to give a Jedi with the proper morals the power to overcome the true darkside, which in my opinion is just a Jedi who chooses to serve himself/herself and do evil with their powers.

I've always found it very hard to believe that a Jedi can not become angry when they fight, or when a friend dies - don't care how much training you've had, it's just a human emotion. And, as the EU has clearly shown, Jedi are about as human as one can be, with the good and the bad sides that we all have. I'm a big fan of the idea that a good person may have to do things considered bad, for the greater good (been called cold-hearted by several of my friends for expressing that opinion), but I believe that if the Jedi are supposed to be the guardians of peace, they have to be ready to do the things needed to k

8. russelguppy

russelguppy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2002
    So has everyone read TUQ yet?

Without spoiling anything too much - I am relatively happy with the way things have gone so far, however I can't help feel that some opportunities have been missed. More YV would have been nice, more glimpses of Coruscant and the galaxy in general rebuilding after the war would have been cool too. Linking to this is the confusion some people have over the development of the StealthX's and the general state of the GFFA shipyards etc. A lot of stuff I had hoped would be covered seems to have been glossed over/left for a filler book at a later date.

Tekli seems to have gone missing from the Strike Force, why?

Anyone else feel that the Jedi Masters seemed really out of character when talking to Cal Omas?

That's it for now, I'll post again when I've read it again.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  10. goblin_fire

goblin_fire Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2005

Well, if that's the case then I guess it's safe to say he got more than he bargained for. *SPOILER* Beings how that romantic interlude resulted in a daughter. Having read both of the books I can honestly say the whole bug thing is truly that...it just bugs me. Honestly I never thought I'd see the day when a Star Wars book would make my skin crawl as much as this series has.
    However aside from that and the hint of the threesome/triangle thing with Jaina/Zekk/Jag, (rather disappointed by the whole mind meld thing.) I found this book to have some rather cool points. Leia deciding to become a jedi is something I've been wanting to see ever since she found out Luke was her brother. (Course back then it would have been nice to see her freak out about how she had kissed him an all.)
    The R2-D2 thing is great. I've always wondered about that little droid. And I've loved the moments that have been revealed. It's about time that Luke and Leia knew what their parents looked liked. Especially Padme.

11. BENSKYWAKER

BENSKYWAKER Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    why do my sites allways get locked and yeah bugs are creepy, and yet fasinating[face_thinking]

12. goblin_fire

Sep 25, 2005
    Sites locked? :confused:

13. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    he means threads.. gob

waits for the TSW to open up to resume arguing/bashing depending on your POV

14. goblin_fire

Sep 25, 2005
    Ohhhhhh, thanks for the explaination. ;) Gotcha!

15. Excellence

Jul 28, 2002

Two instances in Joiner seemed to hint Plo's turned into a rock or been shaped in some way. I wonder . . .

Perhaps the bugs absorbed Vong in some way, and she became villiplike.

16. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/17866

Wait... Swarm War is coming out November 29? Or is the release date different from the date that it is actually available? :confused:

17. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    Just checked out the offical site, and caught something interesting in the caption for the latest Sith Snapshot.

Does this scream "Swarm War" spoiler for anyone else?

18. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    Yes it does. Hopefully it will be in the book.

19. maralover

maralover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2003
    what's this november29 stuf? is it coming out early now? and the births and deaths at polis massa....probably just stuff that's to make you go Yey!!

20. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    It was first supposed to come out in November, then it was changed to December and now both dates for the release of the book are used; starwars.com says it will come out in November, Del Rey´s pages that it will come out in December. I suppose the latter is correct.

21. AlisonC

AlisonC Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2005
    Darn. I was hoping it would be this month :(

22. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    No I felt that they were pretty much in character for the situation.
    Kyp was angry at the Chief of States interference with Jedi matters (he was regularly shown to be a 'jedi for jedi' type of guy) and refuses to take over as leader for the jedi (as he has shown deference to Luke since the Enemy Lines duology)
    Corran seemed overwhelmed with the situation (which is believeable because he has only recently become a jedi master)
    Katarn was typically wait and see how things pan out
    Hamner was pretty congenial towards the chief of state and tried to alow for his views to be heard (which he would have to do as the jedi's liasion to the Government.)
    Don't know enough about Tresina Lobi to see if she was in or out of character.
    Cilghal was a bit of a surprise towards the end of the meeting, but again, she seems to be like Kyp in that she doesn't want outside influences affecting the Jedi.

23. Teegirloo

May 26, 2005
    Why couldn't they have the Swarm War come out before xmas it would be great to read it before but then again the lines would be crazy long and i dont know if i would want to go through that but knowing me i would end up doing it anyway. Plus every online store would probably be late shipping it cause they cant guarrantee on time delivery during the holidays.:(

24. Rouge77

May 11, 2005
    Odd that they won´t bring it out for Christmas. One would think that it coming out just before Christmas could increase it sales. I don´t think that the turn of the year is as good a time commercially.

25. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I dunno. Post christmas sales drag people to the stores. People return gifts they don't want and exchange for other things. It could be agood time for a release.

But I can't wait that long..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.