main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cincin, OH Troy

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by DarthSkywalker360, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSkywalker360

DarthSkywalker360 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    Ok, after seeing all of the trailers since the first one came out a while back i've been anxiously waiting for this movie. But now that it's here it is really disappointing. I'll just put the pros and cons of the movie down in a simple format.

PROs:
    Acting. Almost everyone did a good job, except for 2 people (see cons).

Eric Bana. He owned the movie as Hector, I think he even outshined an amazing performance by Brad Pitt.

The Fights. Great fight scenes all around, especially Achilles vs. Big Buff Guy in the beginning of the movie, and Achilles vs. Hector.

CONs:
    Orlando Bloom and the Girl who played Helen. Horrible acting by both of them. Just uck.

Music. Very, very bad music. Between the song with the woman screeching, and the ending credits song, the worst music i've heard in a movie for a long, long time.

Odysseus. Sean Bean was a great Odysseus, but unfortunately he is not used enough and is left out for too much of the movie.

Finally, the TOTAL BUTCHERING OF THE STORY! If you like me know the story of the Trojan War and The Illiad by Homer, you will be disgusted to witness this movie butcher the story. People die when they shouldn't, people die when they shouldn't have died at all, they cut the war from ten years down to 2 weeks or so, and they made the Greeks, especially Menalaus look like the most evil people on the face of the world, and thats just to name a few.

So final word, if you want to see it, go see it. But keep the things I listed in your mind and decide for yourself if its good or not.

2. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    I love the Iliad, and thought the movie was actually pretty good... Yes, they took a lot of liberties with the movie compared to the actual writtings, but hey, it's Hollywood!!
    The musics were fine, don't see what you really hated so much.... :)
    As far as acting, I am not a huge Bloom fan, but I thought he played the coward pretty well ;) Achiiles and Hector were great.
    The fight between Achilles and Hector was amazing, one great duel...
    I really liked the movie and would give it a 7 out of 10.
    No hesitation, go see it instead of Van Helturd!!

3. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Yes, I also give it a 7 out of 10 and I liked it alot. I still think that Gladiator is better and that movie gets a 8.5 from me.

Hector was one of my favorite characters and the actor did a great job portraying Hector. I do feel bad that you guys always make fun of Orlando Bloom.... Poor Orlando :(

Next film? We are going to see Shrek II on Wednesday. I am really looking forward to that! :)

4. Robert-A-Fett

Robert-A-Fett Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    Orlando was rather horrible.... Eric Bana was awesome.... Brad Pitt was ok.... The one who really creeped me out was Peter O'toole, who played Priam. He put out a very creepy vibe.... Hopefully they will make the Odyssey next if this one does well, that way we can see Sean Bean as Odysseus some more. The fights were cool, specially the duel. Good CG effects. Anyone know if they used MASSIVE technology from LOTR to do the big stuff?

5. Robert-A-Fett

Sep 20, 2002
    PS. Everyone catch the little cameo by Star Wars/Indiana Jones actor Julian Glover (General Veers)? He played the king of Thessaly, the guy who agamemnon wants to join him in the beginning. The guy who calls out the big bald meany guy (Boagrius) that achilles kills in the beginning.

6. Darth_Tynaus

Darth_Tynaus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    Well, I grew up loving the Illiad and the Oddysee. I am quite curious to see this movie. Even if it doesn't match the book, it still has my interest.

7. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    That's who he was!!!! I couldn't figure it out, he looked so familiar!!! :eek:

8. Robert-A-Fett

Sep 20, 2002
    I can see that guy now.... Landing on the beach at Troy....

Yes King Agamemnon, the shield will be down in moments. You may start you landing..... I kept thinking that the whole movie because he was in it..... meh.....

9. JediCandii

JediCandii Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    Just another movie that I want to go see this summer. I took a mythology course last semester and it was easily the most interesting course that I took last year. My teacher was great and mythology has always fascinated me. Except for Asclepius ;). I'm definitely going to see this one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.