main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph True Detective

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    hey Darth Guy i watched true detective

the first episode, anyways.

twas pretty dope but i cant decide if im woody harrelson and you're matthew mconaughey or the other way around. i think probably you're matthew mconaughey and im woody harrelson. monty is that guy that mconaughey slaps in the face who's totally overacting

2. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    You got Nazi'd.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Love this show.

Apparently it's ties to a book called the KING IN YELLOW have made that book a best seller. Definitly has some Lovecraft vibes, even with the main bad guy, who we haven't seen save for a drawing, having scares and tentacles growing from his face.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    green eared spaghetti monster!!

but yeah the king in yellow short story collection inspired lovecraft. its pretty dope stuff. up there with The Yellow Wallpaper for pre-genre genre-fiction

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It probably helps that Amazon's Kindle version is free. :p

And I want to be Rust Cohle when I grow up. Time is a flat circle.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    dat episode 4 ending tho

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah he's pretty much you with a healthy dose of me. woody harrelson is pretty much me with your attitude towards me towards mconaughey

9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i want to see this.

10. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Rogue I'm 90% sure you're basing your "I'm Marty and Even is Rust" thing off Michelle Monaghan. Which is cool and all, but...

11. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah no i dont care abotu michelle monaghan. like ive noticed a lot of reviews of the show mentioning, all the female characters are flat and beneath notice

on the contrary, my analysis was based on the character's outlooks. marty is saavy but colorful. for instance, "im just a regular-type guy... with a big-*** dick" was pointed out by my viewing companion as the kind of thing i might say

rust's soaring fatalism most resembles Darth Guy. tho i was tempted to identify with it myself, i ultimately conceded it was more reminiscent of guy. i think guy would agree, i mean look at his avatar! for that matter, look at mine...

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    1. I don't necessarily agree with that. Watch all the aired episodes before making your own judgment, but TD has only two fleshed-out characters. The rest of the characters, including Marty's wife and mistresses, the 2012 detectives interviewing them, their captains, etc. are there for Hart and Cohle. Yes, thinner female characters is a problem in the "white male anti-hero" genre, but Michelle Monaghan's character is assertive and independent and not a stereotypical shrinking violet or "***** wife." I think, as with Skyler White and Betty Draper, the perception is more of an audience projection.

2. The creator implied in a deleted tweet that there will be at least one female detective next season, and according to people who have read his book(s) he's perfectly capable of writing women. I'm hoping for a Tina Fey/Amy Poehler season.

3. When I hear some of Cohle's nihilist rants, I think "that makes sense."

darthcaedus1138 and Rogue_Ten like this.
  13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    1. fair enough. crit theory analyses are the only reviews for shows i read before i catch up, so i tend to be harshly biased in that respect towards shows and not in other respects :p having seen only the one episode, i already can see what you mean about there arent any fleshed-out female characters because there arent any fleshed-out characters other than hart and cohle, (which is a delicious pun, btw), in keeping with the show's style and goals

2. that should be good

3. yah me too. aforementioned viewing companion asked me if i agreed with cohles rant about human conciousness being an evolutionary mistake and i got really comically defensive and had to pause the show to explain to her what an idealist i am... before eventually winding down the defensiveness and going "well...."

i also loved the part about keeping a cross to meditate on what it would be like to allow oneself to be crucified

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Love the show and want to talk a bit about Rust real quick,

He says all the things he says, but I think in his core he doesn't really believe them. Otherwise, he wouldn't do his job and he wouldn't do it anywhere near as well as he does do it. During the long shot in episode 4 we get a great look at his snap decision making, and it's to protect every life possible. In most other cases, he'd say that people should just die and let the shameful existence we're living in cease, but when it really matters, when it really comes down to it, even in the present timeline, he continues to do his job and protect people.

Even his advice to that woman in episode 6 kind of reinforces it. He says something to the effect of "If you get the opportunity, you should kill yourself." it's because he's absolutely appalled by what that woman had done, I'm pretty sure it was Munchausen by proxy. So even though on the surface and in his words he says something completely different, his actions speak about a much more noble, even heroic self-sacrificing man who destroys his life to protect people. All IMO of course.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The apparent contradiction between Rust's professed worldview and the fact that he actually seems to care about justice reminds me of this trope.

16. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Yup definitely that. And then Marty is the exact opposite, where on the outside he's the straight laced, family values man who has everything, but he can't live that way. He has to constantly sabotage the great life he's got because he's internally broken. He's been 'given' the life that Rust's true self deserves, and he wastes it because he's essentially the person...not the person Rust is but he is a very alienating, mean and confrontational, but something he is that Rust isn't is violent.

The fact that you can so easily attach a trope to it kind of makes me think the characters aren't as complex as I thought, but then I remembered the show does an excellent job at not straight up telling you any of these things, it shows them to you and it's up to you to take it in and interpret it as you will. God I love it.

So, apparently episodes 7-8 are the 'third act'. Do we think there will be an actual solution given? Will it be a wide ranging cult that many are involved in and not one straight up killer? I feel like they're giving way too many subtle clues with about most of the suspects. And I don't think either Rust or Marty are in on it. If they are, I'll be pissed.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    They're not. Ritualistic murder and serial killing are not in their personalities. Hart is very spontaneous and uncalculating in his acts of violence, and, as Maggie says in 2012, Rust is a "good man." 2012 Hart appears to agree with her despite his estrangement with Rust.

I wonder if Tuttle is just a red herring, though, and the photos that priest found of children were for criminal activity unrelated to Dora Lange and others. Then again, I'm not sure there's really going to be a "twist" at all because that's not the show's main focus.

18. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    It wouldn't surprise me if it was a small group of 5-10 people doing it and when they make the next arrest there's still more out there.

These mystery shows are hard to do, because the best way to frame it is so the audience can figure it out themselves if they look hard enough, but it's just as likely anyone else did it, but you don't feel like there's too much evidence giving away the actual killer. At this point if they said it was any one of the people they suspect it would make sense but I'm not entirely certain that would be that fulfilling.

Though then again, maybe that's just life. Sometimes you don't get the big resolution that ties things up. Also, Rust is going away after this season, I'd like to see him have some form of closure here.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    can i just point out that clarke peters AND brother mouzone are in this?

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    old men die, world keeps on spinnin'...

hart has a lot of lines i would say irl. cohle has lines i would THINK irl but probably not say. ive never been quite that depressed

21. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  22. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    It is truly eerie, how much that guy resembles me from about ten years ago. My haircut was different than his, but the glasses and overall face...creepy...

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  23. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    that haircut is amazing. you are fortunate to have foregone it

JoinTheSchwarz and Ender Sai like this.
  24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I watched the first episode last night and Matt didn't take his shirt off one time. wtf.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    [​IMG]

hes deffo shirtless a couple times in the second and third episode and there's a whole scene in a tight wifebeater in the third