Before True Hero (Qui-Gon with minor Obi-Wan) Oneshot

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by joanne_jinn, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. joanne_jinn Jedi Knight

Title: True Hero
    Author: Joanne_Jinn
    Characters: Qui-Gon with minor Obi-Wan and very minor Yoda.
    Summary: One way of reacting to the death of a hero... from a certain point of view.

Disclaimer: I neither own Star Wars nor the song Streets of London.

True Hero

I found out the news on a particularly revolting day, when I?d gotten seriously annoyed with my university and had reached the conclusion that I couldn?t write my way out of a wet paper bag. Why I was even bothering to needle away at the truly dreadful story I was endeavouring to write was beyond me, so I decided to waste time by checking my many email addresses.

It?s always something of a surprise when mail arrives in my joanne_jinn account because it usually means that there?s been activity on either the QGJDL Yahoo! Group or the IASL Yahoo! Group. I was inclined to think QGJDL was more likely considering Stacey Lee?s recent announcement.

But eight new messages was highly unusual, and for a reason I could not fathom, I was experiencing an infamous ?bad feeling about this?. I opened the earliest message, which was from the list owner Elizabeth, and what had started as a really bad day got significantly worse:

I founded the QGJDL mailing list and the Qui-gonline website just a few weeks after The Phantom Menace came out in theatres, in 1999. That was almost 8 years ago, and after some thoughtful consideration, I have decided it is finally time to take the Qui-gonline website offline. If there are stories, etc that you will want to access, please take time right now to save them to your hard drive!!! You will have at least about a week to do this.

My reasons for this decision are personal, but the most basic reason is that my interests have moved on to other things. I am not willing to transfer ownership/maintenance of Qui-gonline to someone else, I have decided to actually take the site content down. I have continued to host and periodically maintain the site for so long particularly for the sake of the hundreds of fanfic authors whose labors of love make up most of its content. I feel honored to have been able to make their work available to the world.The site does not get tons of traffic anymore though, and even there are still folks writing Qui-Gon fanfic, and even though our fascination with Star Wars will endure, there probably are not going to be anymore Star Wars feature films and interest in Qui-gonline. org is likely to remain pretty low.

I want to say THANK YOU to all the authors and artists who have contributed to the site, THANK YOU to everyone who has read and enjoyed their work, and also a big THANK YOU to those who have generously chipped in through the years to pay for Qui-gonline' s web hosting fees. Above all, and really beyond any thanks I could possibly give, I am grateful for your friendship and kindness, which made an enormous difference in my life. This particularly goes for the original members, a few of whom are still on this
    list--you have been true friends. This QGJDL YahooGroup WILL continue to exist btw, though of course it is not very active anymore.

Thank you for understanding, and to anyone who feels sad about this, thank you especially, for caring enough to miss the site.

I love you all, and may the Force be with you always.

Elizabeth

I re-read the message several times, until I found I could recite bits of it from memory and sat back in my chair. Qui-Gonline was the only website for that character that was still updated and was easily the best source of Qui-Gon related stuff on the internet. To imagine the site disappearing off the face of the Earth hadn?t been a possibility I had imagined.

I leant forward to read the message again ? clearly there was more to it than a simple changing of interests, Elizabeth had said so herself but that, frankly, was none of my business. I shook my head and shrugged to the empty room. Qui-Gonline was disappearing, and there was nothing I could do about it.

Not that I was angry with Elizabeth. Goodness knew she?d put in enough wor
  2. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 5
    Ohmigosh...I had other passages to quote and then [face_laugh]

Besides, Qui-Gon was by no means perfect but neither was Obi-Wan, regardless of the hysterical bleatings from some of the more rabid Kenobi fans.

Obi-Wan came as close as a Jedi gets to scowling, inclined his head slightly to his Master and stalked out of the main door, having ignored me completely. Qui-Gon sighed as the door clicked shut.

?You will have to forgive my apprentice. He is a little mistrustful of??

?People in general?? I supplied innocently.

?I was going to say fanfiction writers.?

?So what?s his problem with me? I?m no fanfiction writer.?

Qui-Gon smiled a little.

?No??

I glared. ?No.?

?Very well, he must have mistaken you for one. His distrust of them is perfectly justified you know.?

?Yeah, that?s true.? I grinned wickedly, thinking of one or two Valairy_Scot fanfictions [face_blush] :oops: that I had thoroughly enjoyed. ?He does tend to get done over rather frequently.?

Good thing it's lunch and the office is partially deserted.

That was WONDERFUL! =D=

Oh - Obi are you glaring at me! Put that lightsaber down...you are really going to like what I'll let you do a few chapters ahead in my current story. Really! It won't hurt at all, and it's some nice Jedi action. [face_talk_hand]
  3. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    "After two years of glowering at Yoda whenever I watched the prequels, it was such a relief to find that he was not devoid of the semblance of a heart or, indeed, a sense of humour. I beamed from ear to ear, suddenly finding myself wanting to swoop down on him and give him a hug. Intuition or perhaps Qui-Gon?s warning look stopped me. One did not just hug a Jedi Master, especially Yoda.

?Saw that I did.? Yoda said sternly, before whacking me in the shin with his stick.

?Ow!?

Without so much as looking at me, Yoda hobbled away in the direction we had come and I was left standing on one leg, fuming. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan exchanged a look, full of a meaning I could not fathom and carried on down the corridor. Sulkily, I followed them, attempting to suppress thoughts of drop-kicking a little green troll through the window. "

LOL oh that was GREAT.

good story.
  4. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Loved it and I am a fan of that website too, being the first site I have discovered a few years ago.
  5. joanne_jinn Jedi Knight

Valairy_Scot:

Thank you very much. :) I sincerely hope I haven't damaged your working relationship with Obi too much... [face_blush]

JediKaren:

Thank you. :) I was kinda worried about writing Yoda, not to mention worried about threatening to drop kick him through a window. :p

earlybird-obi-wan

Thanks. :) Yeah, I'm going to miss Qui-Gonline.org, which is why I'm so glad about the blog. :)

6. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Very cute. I'm also a Qui-Gon fan, always will be and I'll miss the list very much. That's how I got started in fanfic, writing Obi and Qui! I still post to the list, btw, although infrequently.

I liked the way Qui-Gon berated you/her/whatever about Obi-Wan. Good for him!

And this was lovely...

?It isn?t going to happen to you. A true hero lives forever.? I broke off and grinned. ?Even if they?ve never lived at all.?

And you'll find out that there are lots of Qui-Gon lovers on these boards!

You and your bloggers might like Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon discussion thread . We can use some fresh input.

7. JediKaren Jedi Master

star 3
    You did great. I personally think more people should write about Yoda. I don't mean like his past, but a few good one shots would be good.
  8. Magenta_Moonshadow Force Ghost

star 3
    I loved it, Jo - well done!:)

Glad you didn't drop-kick Yoda through the window, though...unwise it would be, hmmm?:p

My favourite line is "A true hero lives forever...Even if they?ve never lived at all.?

Very true... again, well done!@};-
  9. joanne_jinn Jedi Knight

So, so sorry for taking as long as I have to reply. [face_blush]

dianethx:

Thanks. :) I was quite pleased with that line, although it sounds like something straight out of a study on cliches. :p

Yeah, I thought it would be more in line with Qui-Gon's character to defend Obi-Wan against a complete stranger, not to mention minimising the Mary-Sueishness as far as possible.

JediKaren:

Thanks. :) Yeah, I love reading oneshots with Yoda, he's such an interesting character. I think the people over at Hell's Chance Cantina make a good job of him.

Julie:

Yeah, I wouldn't dare drop-kick him really! :p I've thought about it many times though....[face_devil]

Thanks, I was quite pleased with that line too. :)

10. Seremela Jedi Knight

star 3
    [:D] I love you for this! It says a lot I can only agree with and so I enjoyed reading it immensely.

I was captured from the moment you mentioned quigonline.org going down. I've only just become a bit more active in this fandom, which is why I completely missed this site. It's still mentioned here and there though and what's more, it still exists on the net, only almost completely emptied out. So I do know *of* it and what it's been. I don't know the reasons of the owner to empty it out, but very selfishly I wished she hadn't. That way latecomers to this fandom like me could at least have read it all even if it wasn't updated anymore :(

And also what dianethx says: some more discussion on the gui/obi threath here would be great. And on the blog you've mentioned as well of course. So I've bookmarked it.

11. Qui-Gina-Jinn Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh]

This was hilarious!!

Really loved it :D

(I'm rather happy that I'm sitting here all alone, so noone would send me odd looks when I was laughing out loud... ;) )
  12. joanne_jinn Jedi Knight

Seremela

Thanks. :) I'm glad you enjoyed reading it (and that you agreed, I was quite worried people were going to think I was clinically insane!)

I think you can still see a lot of the Qui-gonline website through the Wayback machine at www.archive.org. If not, I'd be happy to send you the stuff I've got saved from there.

Qui-Gina-Jinn

Thank you. :) I do that all the time - laughing out loud at stuff I read. My parents have given up on asking me what's so funny. ;)
  13. Seremela Jedi Knight

star 3
    I have found that out by now; someone sent me the link and I've spend some happy hours there already [face_love]

But thanks for the offer!!!!

14. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Aaaaaah, Qui-Gon and a fan-girl have a talk....

?You will have to forgive my apprentice. He is a little mistrustful of??

?People in general?? I supplied innocently.

?I was going to say fanfiction writers.?

Oooooh, yes, Obi-Wan would want to keep those Obi-Torturers at arm's length.

I did snag the Qui-Gon FAQ (with permission) from the quigonline site for the Qui-Gon Jinn Story Index. So, that's still available here. It's a shame things pass -- especially with such a good URL -- but that is the nature of things.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.