main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Trump Left (Was: If Trump wins)

Discussion in 'Community' started by SuperWatto, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i just woke up, and... america, what the ****?

2. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014

I almost put a bet on Trump to win when that Michael Moore video went viral. Seemed like there was maybe enough anger with the status quo for reasonably sane people to vote for something dangerously stupid.

Darth Punk and Jedi Ben like this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Has this ever been said more than now? Have more people ever woken up and said "wtf" in world history?

I'm still getting used to it myself. A reality television star has become president. The United States of America has now entered The Tyson Zone, the point at which our behavior has become so insane that there is literally nothing we could do to shock or surprise people. (it could be argued that we crossed that point with one of our many shootings)

4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Anger...with what? If a person hates Citizens United and special interests, they should blame the conservatives who supported them, not Clinton. The only way anger against Clinton makes sense is if you believe all the garbage that Republicans have been spewing out the past year.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  5. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    lol seriously i don't understand how he could win. all the coverage we got in australia was that trump is racist and hates blacks and latino's and doesn't like women and islam yet he still won

originally from Sydney Australia

Master_Rebado likes this.
  6. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014

With the status quo. I think I said that?

I'm not claiming that people have carefully thought this through but Clinton - being in bed with the banks, pharmaceutical companies etc. - is seen as part of 'the system' (whatever the hell that is). People feel like 'the system' is oppressing them and are angry about it. Populists like Trump capitalise on this. I'm not saying for a moment that people have carefully thought this through. Most people make decisions like this on the basis of emotions. Right now, a lot of people feel failed/marginalized by 'the system' and I think the bulk of the Trump vote is an expression of that anger rather than agreement with his policies or wanting to have a corrupt, orange sex pest as their head of state.

7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Worked for Hitler

8. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Perhaps I'm cynical about my fellow human being, but I don't think it's anything as complex as anti-establishmentarianism.

I think most people just went "Hey, it's dat dere rich guy off the teevee! He'll be successful!"

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm sure there's plenty of that, but historically it's been the case, that in times of austerity (which I'm paraphrasing slig's "marginalised by the system" to mean), people tend to vote either hard left, or hard right.

Look across Europe, in recent years - Brexit, or Syriza in Greece, spring to mind. This is what tends to happen.

10. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    It is a potent combination.

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    Agree absolutely. Economic hardship > people feeling that the system is failing them > populist politics.

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    The difference in Europe currently, is that to a certain degree, the countries keep one another in check. Murica, being as insular as it is, now has an unrestrained idiot at the wheel.

EDIT: by idiot, I mean narcissistic, fantasist, bully.

13. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Remember the primary Trump who said "I'm not going to let people die in the streets," with Rubio saying, "but we're Republicans."

Trump is not a traditional Republican. Paul Ryan can't control him. Trump has his coalition, and that coalition hates Congress as much as it hates Hillary.

Ultimately ShaneP may be right about the ACA at least. I'm grasping here.

14. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Well now I welcome Stewart/Colbert 2020 - Apparently any ****** can be President.

15. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Except didn't the people just vote overwhelmingly to let the Republican-controlled Congress stay as is? That's why I don't buy all the spiel about anti-establishment feeling. McCain just got re-elected, they all did. The same people that are very much the establishment. The same people who are essentially responsible for the lack of anything been done. The same people who are genuinely proud of their obstructionism.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    That's democracy for you.

Ricardo Funes and STARBOB like this.
  17. slightly_unhinged

Jan 28, 2014
    I think you missed out a few things

18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Will the Republican House and Senate get along with each other now, and will Congress get along with Trump? ACA repeal, income tax "reform" seem like the big domestic policy rallying points here. Tax cuts for the wealthy and tax rebates for health care to replace ACA would be my bet.

Maybe people with preexisting conditions will be allowed to apply to Medicaid in a manner similar to how people apply for Social Security benefits.

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Well people can blame all of America's problems on Trump and Republicans for 4 years now. Weee, are we having fun yet?

20. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    Tax cuts for everybody and cut government's out of control spending is my hope.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    Please, please, please don't mention 2020, yet.

22. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Canadian Immigration website crashed according to WOR 710 am.

DarthIshyZ and Master_Rebado like this.
  23. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    What the difference? during the 8 yrs of Obama everything wrong with America was still Bush's and the Republicans fault according to democrats.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Okay, and back to the jokes

anakinfansince1983 and Ramza like this.
  25. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    A horse walks into a bar. The horse neahs in pain!