main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    What specifically are these "significant developments"?

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  3. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    *hovers on the edge of her seat

4. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You'll hear as soon as there's news to hear, I'm afraid that's the whole of the matter.

6. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_waiting][face_waiting]

Surely there's something that can be said in more detail about these alleged "significant developments"? Because I'm starting to believe you're pulling our legs. If these developments were real, you should be able to say something about them, even if you can't give any estimates as to when it will be fixed.

Bacon164 likes this.
  7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    In my humble opinion, it's better that we not say anything until we know exactly what we're dealing with than to explain it all now and have everyone build up a false sense of reality in their minds. Just know that we have a plan and if it works out, every truncated post will be restored. However, there is also a small chance it will not happen the way we want it to.

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  8. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    There's no reason for anyone to be pulling our legs. If the posts were truly lost, then they'd let us know and it'd be terrible, but we'd move on.

People are working on restoring old posts during their personal free time and give us an update every now and then to let us know not to lose hope. We really ought to respect that and not give them grief about it.

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Well, that's more information than we previously had. Thanks.

Personal free time or not, I find it laughably ridiculous that it has taken over a full year already with no signs of progress except a few cryptic comments from the admins.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Nobody panic! Whatever you do for the love of god don't panic!

11. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    I also see no reason for the mods to be pulling our legs. Grimby's explanation makes sense to me. I think we should be grateful they are working on restoring old posts.

Thank you mods!:D

Falcon likes this.
  12. Luminous beings are we...

Luminous beings are we... Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2013
  13. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I guess if I only knew what you do, I'd feel annoyed at the situation as well. However, I wouldn't personally call this situation "laughably ridiculous". I am annoyed at how long it took IGN to help us with this, but there are a lot of reasons for that. Namely, the fact that IGN was sold to Ziff Davis back in February, which resulted in a lot of changeover and layoffs. So it's not like a bunch of people have just been sitting on their hands for the past year.

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Is there any chance of a Christmas miracle on the truncated posts? Even a hint of what's going on? It's been three months since there were hints of 'significant developments' and the wait has been...tough. (For all of us, I know.) TIA for any info you can give.

15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  16. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Well, a new year...A New Hope! AMIRITE??

[ba dum ching]

[face_beatup]

*slinks away sheepishly*

17. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    In my humble opinion, it's better that we not say anything until we know exactly what we're dealing with than to explain it all now and have everyone build up a false sense of reality in their minds
    -------------------------------

I think most of us are mature not to say "but you said this would happen wah wahh"

to be honest I'm not sure why all the supposed secrecy either (whether it's intentional or not) but a little clue now and then would be nice, but what do I know? I'm just another guy on the JC without information to go on

jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    It might be possible for members to help the situation in the fan fiction boards at least by restoring their own story posts if they have back-ups (only if it doesn't interfere with the work already being done, of course...)

19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    A user in the Saga forum did exactly this with a massive collection of quotes from George Lucas he'd compiled in a thread a while back. I PM'ed him about the issue of truncated posts, he sent me his backups, and I was able to completely restore the material in the thread, which is now stickied as a resource. It was a good opportunity to tidy it up a bit, as well.

Just sayin';)

20. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    completely restore the material

That's great! Good for him.

It seems to me that part of the issue is not only the stories lost, but the comments, the opportunity to 'go back in time' and see what friends said about works from a long time ago. Sentimental, but there it is. If all that is lost, then it's lost, and we can move forward, but it would be nice to know.

21. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I did have it all backed up but accidentally killed my old computer just as the boards got shut down for the move. I haven't attempted to recover it off the harddrive. I don't know if I can recover it or not, there is a couple of fanfics on fanfiction.net but not many of them were backed up there.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you didn't kill the hard drive itself maybe you can put it in a housing and attach it via USB to your current PC. I did that with the HD from my old laptop to recover the files.

23. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Well, if all else fails, there's the good ol' Wayback Machine. Found one fic that way. It would involve a lot of copy/pasting back into a word processing doc, but it's better than nothing.

24. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    my backups are on my old desktop computer which hasn't been used since I got my current computer Christmas 2010. I don't have a 2nd monitor or I'd see about getting it set up again, even temporarily. Then I'd have to hope its not going to be dead. I'm better off waiting to see if the posts can be restored.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It would be extremely easy to connect your monitor to your old pc

EHT likes this.