Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby, Sep 2, 2012.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    What specifically are these "significant developments"?
  2. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
  3. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    *hovers on the edge of her seat
  4. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
  5. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 6
    You'll hear as soon as there's news to hear, I'm afraid that's the whole of the matter.
  6. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_waiting][face_waiting]

Surely there's something that can be said in more detail about these alleged "significant developments"? Because I'm starting to believe you're pulling our legs. If these developments were real, you should be able to say something about them, even if you can't give any estimates as to when it will be fixed.
    Bacon164 likes this.
  7. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    In my humble opinion, it's better that we not say anything until we know exactly what we're dealing with than to explain it all now and have everyone build up a false sense of reality in their minds. Just know that we have a plan and if it works out, every truncated post will be restored. However, there is also a small chance it will not happen the way we want it to.
    SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  8. Mirax Terrik Chosen One

star 5
    There's no reason for anyone to be pulling our legs. If the posts were truly lost, then they'd let us know and it'd be terrible, but we'd move on.

People are working on restoring old posts during their personal free time and give us an update every now and then to let us know not to lose hope. We really ought to respect that and not give them grief about it.
  9. jcgoble3 Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, that's more information than we previously had. Thanks.

Personal free time or not, I find it laughably ridiculous that it has taken over a full year already with no signs of progress except a few cryptic comments from the admins.
  10. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    Nobody panic! Whatever you do for the love of god don't panic!
  11. SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I also see no reason for the mods to be pulling our legs. Grimby's explanation makes sense to me. I think we should be grateful they are working on restoring old posts.

Thank you mods!:D
    Last edited by SkywalkerSquadron, Oct 23, 2013
    Falcon likes this.
  12. Luminous beings are we... Jedi Master

star 1
  13. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    I guess if I only knew what you do, I'd feel annoyed at the situation as well. However, I wouldn't personally call this situation "laughably ridiculous". I am annoyed at how long it took IGN to help us with this, but there are a lot of reasons for that. Namely, the fact that IGN was sold to Ziff Davis back in February, which resulted in a lot of changeover and layoffs. So it's not like a bunch of people have just been sitting on their hands for the past year.
  14. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Is there any chance of a Christmas miracle on the truncated posts? Even a hint of what's going on? It's been three months since there were hints of 'significant developments' and the wait has been...tough. (For all of us, I know.) TIA for any info you can give.
  15. Ghost Chosen One

star 6
  16. ThreadSketch Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, a new year...A New Hope! AMIRITE??

[ba dum ching]

[face_beatup]

*slinks away sheepishly*
  17. Merkual Force Ghost

star 4
    In my humble opinion, it's better that we not say anything until we know exactly what we're dealing with than to explain it all now and have everyone build up a false sense of reality in their minds
    -------------------------------

I think most of us are mature not to say "but you said this would happen wah wahh"

to be honest I'm not sure why all the supposed secrecy either (whether it's intentional or not) but a little clue now and then would be nice, but what do I know? I'm just another guy on the JC without information to go on
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  18. Space_Wolf Force Ghost

star 3
    It might be possible for members to help the situation in the fan fiction boards at least by restoring their own story posts if they have back-ups (only if it doesn't interfere with the work already being done, of course...)
  19. Darth_Nub Saga, Classic Trilogy and Film Music Manager

Manager
    star 4
    A user in the Saga forum did exactly this with a massive collection of quotes from George Lucas he'd compiled in a thread a while back. I PM'ed him about the issue of truncated posts, he sent me his backups, and I was able to completely restore the material in the thread, which is now stickied as a resource. It was a good opportunity to tidy it up a bit, as well.

Just sayin';)
  20. pronker Force Ghost

star 3
    completely restore the material

That's great! Good for him.

It seems to me that part of the issue is not only the stories lost, but the comments, the opportunity to 'go back in time' and see what friends said about works from a long time ago. Sentimental, but there it is. If all that is lost, then it's lost, and we can move forward, but it would be nice to know.
  21. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    I did have it all backed up but accidentally killed my old computer just as the boards got shut down for the move. I haven't attempted to recover it off the harddrive. I don't know if I can recover it or not, there is a couple of fanfics on fanfiction.net but not many of them were backed up there.
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 8
    If you didn't kill the hard drive itself maybe you can put it in a housing and attach it via USB to your current PC. I did that with the HD from my old laptop to recover the files.
  23. ThreadSketch Jedi Master

star 1
    Well, if all else fails, there's the good ol' Wayback Machine. Found one fic that way. It would involve a lot of copy/pasting back into a word processing doc, but it's better than nothing.
  24. Jedi_Liz Force Ghost

star 6
    my backups are on my old desktop computer which hasn't been used since I got my current computer Christmas 2010. I don't have a 2nd monitor or I'd see about getting it set up again, even temporarily. Then I'd have to hope its not going to be dead. I'm better off waiting to see if the posts can be restored.
  25. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    It would be extremely easy to connect your monitor to your old pc
    EHT likes this.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza