Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby, Sep 2, 2012.

Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. cje24576 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    What's going on with correcting the text problems?
  2. Takianna Force Ghost

star 3
    Well I didn't completely rely on the message board for everything, but since I have been on this thing for years, there have been many computers since then. So bite me.
    Last edited by Takianna, Apr 14, 2014
  3. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Fanfic is serious business.
    Falcon, THE EVIL CLIFFIE and jcgoble3 like this.
  4. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Mods? Anything? Bueller?

Seriously, can we get something one way or the other? For those of us who lost our (multiple) backups through no fault of our own, this is our last hope. Can we get some word one way or the other, please?
    pronker likes this.
  5. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    I sure if there was news, they'd give it. Being they haven't given it, it's probably safe to assume there's no news.
  6. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    That is indeed the safe assumption.
  7. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    I have it on good authority that they've sold all our fanfic to Disney so it can be marketed under the new "Legends" banner.
  8. Falcon Chosen One

star 8
    or they end up polishing one of the stories, some of the fanfics were better written then the series
  9. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Fine, but when is that going to stop being the stock answer? We're closing on two years of 'We don't have anything to report'. Not trying to be a PINA, but at some point this issue has to be laid to rest.
  10. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    I think the best course of action is to infer that, until otherwise stated, the posts will remain permanently truncated. It's too low down IGN's priority list to be fixed in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Food for thought: It's been almost two years now. If everyone affected by this had simply retyped everything they'd lost during all this time, even word-for-word, their posts would've long since been restored by now. ;)
    Last edited by Rew, May 19, 2014
    harpua likes this.
  11. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    And if you don't have back ups? I'd be happy to retype my stuff if I had it. And for the record - again - I had backups but both were lost/destroyed. And I stand by my comment that either the mods need to come out and say forget it, or get something for us after two years.
    jcgoble3 likes this.
  12. Anakin Solo Revanchist Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm just curious, though, because half a year ago there were "significant developments," and nothing further was discussed on that matter?
  13. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    We thought we had news, but then it turned out we did not.
  14. Rew Force Ghost

star 4
    I was talking about retyping from memory (or more accurately, rewriting). Two years is a long time to jog those memory circuits after all. In fact, you would probably improve your work from renewed insights. :)
    Last edited by Rew, May 20, 2014
  15. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    My mistake, I misunderstood what you were saying and I apologise. But speaking from my own experience, anything that I try to reproduce has never turned out as well - the first version is always better. Also, to be honest, I forget how some of them ended - I have no idea how I got from point A to point B. I'm getting old, what can I say? :D
    Last edited by Shaindl, May 20, 2014
  16. Saintheart Chosen One

star 6
    So you're saying you thought you had
    Sith-I-5 likes this.
  17. harpua Chosen One

star 8

So write something new... onward and upward, etc. Bitching at the mods isn't going to get it done any sooner. They're not the ones capable of restoring the posts. They've made the proper people aware, and that's really all they can do. The move to this place was probably a data nightmare, and we're probably pretty lucky that nearly everything made it. Some stuff didn't... that's the way these things go. Just let it go and write some new stuff (and save both a digital and hard copy).
  18. hlc88 Force Ghost

star 4
    What I don't understand is why people just didn't keep it saved on Microsoft Word after they had written it? Or did they just type it up directly onto the forum or write it up in a word document and then post it on the forum and then delete the document? I feel like I'm the only one who actually keeps all the stuff they have ever written saved on my harddrive and I update it on a USB port every few months or so and plus I also post my stuff on another website so I have three back ups. I wouldn't have thought people would have been so silly to rely on the forum as their only back-up.

As others have said it isn't the mods fault. If you didn't keep the original file then its down to you.
    Last edited by hlc88, May 24, 2014
  19. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    I agree that people should keep a local copy of their work. It's possible that people posted stories (etc) here and then lost the local copy due to PC failure or upgrade.
  20. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    All those people saying that it isn't the mod's fault that data was lost, are of course right on that point, but should also remember that mods, with the best of intentions of course, also stopped some of us initiating our own recovery ops by saying that such efforts would be undone when the truncation problem eventually got fixed.

So all people are asking for, is:

Valairy Scot and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Ramza JC Head Admin and RPF Manager

Administrator
    star 7
    And we're saying we'll give a definitive statement when we're comfortable making a definitive statement. We're trying and we're not going to say "Forget it" while we're still trying. But trying doesn't magically give us the fix we want at that exact moment. Demands for an artificially imposed false dichotomy are not going to be entertained.
    Last edited by Ramza, May 24, 2014
    Frank T. likes this.
  22. Sith-I-5 Force Ghost

star 5
    Not really having a go at mods; sorry if it came across that way.

Trying to explain to those who seem to be criticizing writers for not recovering their own truncated posts, why we have not done so. And one reason was that we were advised that individual recoveries would be reversed by a board-wide one.
  23. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Apparently you didn't read through my comments. I had TWO personal backups of my work, one on a flash drive, one on a CD. Both were lost due to factors beyond my control. Of course most writers save their work and keep a copy, but there are instances where through no fault of our own our copies disappear so this site is our last chance to recover it.
  24. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    Um, no. I'm not writing anything new. I moved on from this fandom a long time ago and I really have no interest in SW fandom anymore, but I would like to have copies of my work (and please refer to my above post where I state I did have copies that were lost). And for the record, asking for a resolution one way or the other is not 'bitching at the mods'.
  25. harpua Chosen One

star 8
    Rew and Frank T. like this.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza