main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trust in the Force (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jane Jinn, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I have taken up Mistress Renata?s challenge for us "torture? writers to write one fic without a torture scene and here it is. I hope it fulfils her requirements and is worth reading.

Title: Trust in the Force
    Author: Jane Jinn
    Rating: PG-13 for mild violence (no torture) and minor injury to a central character
    Category: Angst
    Time: Obi-Wan is 19
    Disclaimers: Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon both belong to George Lucas, everything else in the story is my own invention.
    Archive: JAFD, Jedi Temple Library, others please ask first
    Summary: Why is the Force compelling Obi-Wan to stop and help that young man, when Qui-Gon needs assistance more urgently?

A special thank you to Imzadi and Marnie for beta reading and for help with the fight scene.

"Where are we?? Qui-Gon Jinn asked, opening his eyes from his healing trance.

"A planet called Otoria,? Obi-Wan Kenobi replied. ?They?re more or less friendly to the Republic, but they aren?t part of it. They say that we?ll be able to buy the parts we need here, though. Don?t worry, master. I?ll get them installed and we?ll be back in hyperspace before very long.?

"Well done, padawan,? the Jedi Master nodded.

"How are you doing??

"The healing process is a bit slower and more difficult than I had expected, but it is healing nonetheless.? Qui-Gon had managed to deflect most of the projectiles from the many weapons shooting at him, but one had got through and had left a deep graze in his thigh.

"Then you don?t want a Healer??

"There is no need, padawan. I might well be able to sit up and help you with the repairs by the time you return with the parts.?

"You?re not planning on showing that to An-Paj at all, are you?? Obi-Wan teased, mentioning the Master Healer at the Temple with whom they had the most contact.

"Why should I show him a perfectly healed scar??

"So that he can write it in his records as "the wound that got away???

Qui-Gon?s face lit up with a smile at the expression. ?There?s no need to disappoint him any further.?

"What do you mean??

"He?s expecting you to come back on a stretcher like you always do--?

"Almost always.?

"--and here you are, as able-bodied as you were at the start of the mission. Why torment him further with another example of how we didn?t need him this time??

"You?re right, master. We must consider his feelings.?

"We must. Now go get those parts so that we can get back to the Temple.?

"Yes, master.? Still smiling, Obi-Wan went out.

Their last mission had been successful. They had found the proof that the funds sent to the planet Ramasia by the Republican Senate were being misused in the worst possible way, to fund yet another civil war. The Ramasian natives had turned on them then, intent on protecting the supply of money for their favourite pasttime by not letting that information get back to the Senate. Their cover had been blown, they?d been hunted from all sides, and they?d barely managed to get off the planet with their ship intact. However, the information was safe and so were they, except for Qui-Gon?s flesh wound. But then one of the engine components had failed, making it impossible for them to travel in hyperspace. Obi-Wan had tried to repair it with what was on board, but had soon discovered that the damaged parts simply had to be replaced. They?d limped along to the next habitable planet and were now stuck there. Hopefully, they could get the parts installed and be on their way again in a few hours.

The spaceport was a few kilometers outside the small city, and after getting directions from the information center and changing, for a huge fee, his Republic credits into the local currency, Obi-Wan walked to the omnibus stop and waited for it to arrive. Judging by the markings on the pavement in front of him, he almost expected it to be the old fashioned kind, with wheels, but when it came, it purred smoothly along on repulsors, just like in the Republic. When he tried to board, however, the d

2. SenatorPadme

SenatorPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2001
    Wonderful start. I really like this. :)

3. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Yippie I sneak on line at work and a new Jane Jinn story is here :D

Poor An Paj no injured jedi to treat ;)

Why do I get the feeling Obi-Wan's task is not going to be so simple :p

4. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Yay! Another Jane Jinn story! Today is my lucky day. It looks great so far!!! :)

More soon please! :D

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I can't convey my excitement at seeing a new Jane Jinn story!! :D :D

I loved the banter between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan regarding An-Paj!! "Why should I show him a perfectly healed scar?? and
    "You?re right, master. We must consider his feelings.? had me howling with laughter!!

I am worried that with all the credits Obi-Wan's using just to get to the shop he may not have enough for the parts he needs.

Stellar start Jane!!

Post often, post soon!!

6. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    Really intriguing plot Jane! I'm REALLY curious now to see what happens. Post again soon!

"The wound that got away." *snicker*

7. Jenn-Kenobi

Jenn-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 3, 2001
    :D You posted here!

Jane, was that last sentence a hint?

Oohh, An-Paj, I miss him. :D

Will we meet this young man soon?

8. Jessica Kenobi

Jessica Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    Great Post Jane! Are you sure you'll be able to post a non-torture fic? Can we at least have a little bit of angst?

9. KenobisGirl

Jul 10, 2001
    Angst is GOOD! Must... have... it!

10. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Hurray! A new Jane story, I'm *so* excited! :D Too bad I don't have torture to look forward to in this one (lol the bet, btw!) but I can always hope for one after this, right Jane? ;) It looks like a wonderful start, as always!

Like HL, I *loved* the line "You?re right, master. We must consider his feelings.? LOL!! :D :D

Looking forward to more!

11. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    *puffs and pants*

See I rushed straight over to look at it and it was just as good as I had imagened.

COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLL

Kithera

12. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    [face_blush] Oooo, someone finally took up the challenge! Brave Jane! (There COULD be angst, angst and torture aren't necessarily the same thing.)

LOL at the "locals" overcharging the offworld visitors. Have stayed at enough hotels charging $15 for two scrambled eggs and wheat toast not to identify with Obi-Wan, heh, heh.

Loved the line about the "wound that got away!" And yet why do I get the feeling that An-Paj may not be disappointed after all...? (*cue ominous music*)

13. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Liked this post, waitng for another!!!Glad to see your back on the boards with another JA story.PEACE Ewen

14. KenobisGirl

Jul 10, 2001
    MORE PLEASE!!!!! :D

15. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Sounds great so far Jane Jinn. :) I look forward to reading more.

16. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    This is great so far, Jane! I can hardly wait for more. I adore how easily you lay out the background of this situation, and I really like the competence and aplomb of Obi-Wan! He becomes the epitome of the Jedi eventually: it's nice to see that at the beginning!:)

I loved the An Paj commentary too, but I think my favourite part so far was the pity Obi-Wan felt at the ostracising reaction from the locals. Either Palpatine's smear campaign is well under way and has fallen on fertile ground here, or... there's more to this rural world than meets the eye... :)

Like I said, and others before me: can't wait for more, Jane! :)

*Derisa*

17. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Great! A new story, that's always a pleasure to find. :) It will be fun to see what trouble Obi can run into. :)

18. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Looking forward to a post!

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

19. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks, everybody, for the overwhelming response. I was afraid nobody would want to read it without the torture. But I have found ways to make life difficult for Obi-Wan, and there will be angst, starting now.

"Hello, hello, and what can I do for--? The shopkeeper came out from the back room, saw Obi-Wan, and stopped in mid-sentence, eyeing him suspiciously. ?You?re a Jedi.?

"Yes,? Obi-Wan stated. ?And I need some parts for a--?

"Put your hands here,? the man told him, tapping the counter.

Confused, Obi-Wan came forward two steps and laid his hands palm-down on the cool surface, wondering if it were some kind of identification scanner or even a lie detector.

"Now you can talk, just don?t move your hands. I happen to know that Jedi can?t mind trick a person unless they can wave their hands around, and you?re not going to mind trick -me- into giving you something for free and losing all my profits.?

Such a thing had never occurred to Obi-Wan. He felt faintly ridiculous standing there with his hands pressed against the counter, but knew he had to go along if they were to have any chance of getting the replacement parts. After he had described what they needed, Piniker checked his computer.

"Well...I don?t have them in stock. There?s not much call for parts for -Republic- ships on this planet.? He made ?Republic? sound like a curse word. ?But I do have connections and I can get them for you.?

"I?d be grateful.?

"Cash in advance. Suppose you?ll be offering me Republic credits? I?ll take them, but I?ll have to charge an exchange fee.?

"I can offer you dennars,? Obi-Wan told him. Piniker looked disappointed.

Checking the computer again, the man named a sum that would all but deplete Obi-Wan?s supply of dennars, then asked, ?You in a hurry? I can have the parts here to-morrow for a hundred dennars extra.?

Obi-Wan did not have a hundred dennars to spare. After the exchange fee at the space port and the omnibus ticket, and now the price of the parts, he?d be lucky to have fifty left. Smiling politely, he shook his head. ?I?m not in a hurry.?

"Then they?ll be here in, oh, two or three days.? Piniker looked down at Obi-Wan?s hands. ?All right, you can lift them up, but don?t say a word. I still don?t trust you not to mind trick me. Just hand over the money and go.?

Obi-Wan reached carefully into his belt pouch and silently counted out the required sum, then took the computer-printed receipt and added it to the few remaining coins. Bowing to the Otorian with a pleasant expression on his face, he then left the cramped shop and began to walk back to the spaceport. There was no point in taking the omnibus again, it would just be a waste of money which he might need more desperately later.

It began to rain as Obi-Wan walked, and by the time he reached the ship, his cloak was very wet. He shook it off and hung it up to dry, then peeked into Qui-Gon?s quarters. His master had his eyes shut and did not open them, and Obi-Wan could not tell if he were in a healing trance or simply asleep.

Going up to the cockpit, Obi-Wan sent a hologram recording to the Jedi Council on Coruscant, advising them of the situation without mentioning Qui-Gon?s condition, but expressing his hope that they?d be on their way again soon. Next, he went to the tiny galley, which was scarcely more than a sink and a instant-heater, with a cabinet on top of it. Poking around for something to eat, he realised they?d been living off the ship?s supplies for some time already, because of the situation on their last mission, and all the pop-n-serve meal trays were gone now. There were only a few unappetizing ration bars left, and four packages of ration drink mix. He?d also used the last tea bag that morning. The situation was not good. He didn?t know how much food he?d be able to buy with the money he had left, but he had the sinking feeling it wasn?t going to be much. He also had the feeling he should save those last few coins for an emergency. Unethusiastically, he reached for one of the rati

20. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Aaaarrrrggghhh! Grrrrr! ;) I had a nice response and it didn't take. :( Here's hoping my sugar rotted brain remembers part of what I wrote.

Ahem: So, if it isn't the blaster wound making Qui-Gon ill, what could it be? Whatever it is it sounds as if it could get nasty. A few days of having to wait for parts may be a few days too many. What an odd world Qui and Obi have landed on with everyone trying to gouge the visitors. Maybe they're hoping word will get out and people will stay away. They seem a bit isolationist. I had to laugh at the actions of the shopkeeper, but it made me wonder. Do Jedi need to wave their hands about when doing the mind trick? Qui-Gon used it and I know Obi used it in ANH, but he didn't use it in JA4 when trying to escape the freezer. Then again, maybe you aren't using the JA books for your stories. Anyway, love this story, as I've loved all your others, and I look forward to the next post. :)

21. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Uh oh...Qui-Gon's not sounding good...

Hey, I don't need torture in a fic to enjoy it :) Angst is great too! I think I'd better make sure I've got a box of tissues handy...

22. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Oh goodness... poor Qui! He sounded so young and helpless... And if money is going to be an issue, I hope Obi-Wan has some way of getting some funds, for food and transport... as I can see this situation lasting far longer than he hopes.

Keep up the terrific work, Jane! :)

*Derisa*

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm. Talk about great distrust! Needless to say I don't care for this parts dealer.

Bad enough that Obi-Wan's running around taking care of everything... now his Master's come down with some kind of virus on top of his injury. Can't help but wonder if Qui's hallucinations are important or not????

Wonderful post Jane!!!

24. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    What has made all these people so distrustful?!?!

What a wonderful start to another wonderful story Jane!! I'm anxiously looking for more!! :D :D :D

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm TELLING ya, with enough action, adventure & intrigue, you just don't NEED torture! Throw away the crutch, my children, and FLY!

LOVE the bit about the hands on the counter! I can picture Obi-Wan suppressing the urge to roll his eyes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.