main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trust in the Force (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jane Jinn, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Wonderful post, Jane! :D Poor Obi-Wan, not only having to take care of the ship parts, rude and hostile natives, and himself, but a sick and hallucinating Qui-Gon as well! Hopefully at some point he'll be forced to duck a couple lightsaber swings when Qui battles some hallucinated enemy... ( :eek: Did I just say that out loud? ;) ) Hmm.... I'm wondering if one of the weapons that hit him had some sort of poison on it (just speculating!)

Looking forward to more! :)

2. SenatorPadme

SenatorPadme Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2001
    Good post, Jane! It was interesting how the shop keeper told Obi-Wan to place his hands on the counter. Very well done post! :)

3. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Uh oh!!! Qui, Obi is not usually very safe from fanfic writers when you're down and out! Hehe...

Anyways... More soon please! :D

4. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    More Please :D

5. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    This is just as enjoyable the second time around, Jane! Okay, that sounds weird, considering what's happening to them both! :D

Great writing, Jane!

6. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Very nice Jane!

*twiddles thumbs while waiting for the next post*

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

7. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000

In the morning, however, Qui-Gon was practically incoherant and burning with fever. Not knowing what else to do, Obi-Wan tried one of the fever medication cylinders they had on board, but the fever only receded to a less dangerous level. Obi-Wan checked the wound occasionally throughout the morning, but it continued to look healthy. Maybe it wasn?t an infection after all. Maybe it really was a relapse of the Rodian flu. In any case, Qui-Gon would need fluid, and lots of it. He hadn?t woken up enough that day to drink anything. Obi-Wan opened the medical emergency box and found the basic IV equipment; two needles, two tubes, and two small bags of basic saline solution. As he unwrapped the articles and laid them out, he made a note to thank Master Healer An-Paj for requiring both him and Qui-Gon to take part in first aid courses twice a year. At the time, he?d thought it was mostly for Qui-Gon, who had to take care of Obi-Wan?s many injuries, but he?d gone along and practised splinting broken bones, dressing wounds, and--An-Paj had insisted--giving IV?s. Now he was grateful for the practise as he found the vein and slid in the needle in with a steady hand.

Apparantly feeling the tiny jab, Qui-Gon opened his eyes and looked directly at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan smiled reassuringly, but the Jedi Master?s eyes had already slid shut again and he twitched restlessly, almost pulling his arm away from Obi-Wan, who had to grab to get it back. Adding a few strips of sticky tape to keep the needle in place, Obi-Wan then connected it to the tube, and the tube to the bag of fluid. The bag was suspended from the hook situated above the bunk, and Obi-Wan exhaled in relief, then remembered that there was one more thing he could do. Closing his eyes, he laid his hand on Qui-Gon?s shoulder, focusing the Force and letting it flow through him into his master, giving him strength to continue the battle. How often had Qui-Gon done exactly the same for him? Obi-Wan had used to think it would be better to be on the giving side rather than the receiving side, but now he discovered that sheer worry was making him feel sick, too.

A moment later, Obi-Wan left the ship, knowing that the two bags of saline solution would be soon be used up and that he had to get more. It was cooler than the day before, but although there were low, dark clouds, it hadn?t started to rain yet, and he walked quickly. Upon arriving at Market Place, Obi-Wan saw that it was market day, and that the place was filled with stands of every kind, offering fresh vegetables, fruits, flowers, and even meat. Obi-Wan eyed one of the steaks hungrily, until he saw the price, and then he looked away. What was he doing, thinking about food when Qui-Gon was so ill? None of the stands offered soft plastic bags of saline solution, not that he?d expected such a thing, and with a sigh, he set off towards the bridge to find a Healer?s office on the other side of the river. That meant losing an entire dennar for the toll, but it couldn?t be helped. Qui-Gon needed that fluid.

The woman taking tolls at the bridge had given him directions to the closest Healer?s office, and he went in. The woman behind the desk mustered him suspiciously, and Obi-Wan wondered if she were considering calling in some kind of security force to save her from the evil Jedi. At last, she finally asked, ?What do you want??

"A friend of mine has been injured and also seems to be coming down with the Rodian flu. Perhaps the Healer could come and have a look at him??

"One hundred dennars, cash in advance,? she said. ?Or you could bring him here for fifty dennars.?

Obi-Wan thought of his few remaining coins and smiled although he wanted to grimace. ?What I really need is standard saline solution. Do you have some that you could let me have??

The Otorian female seemed shocked at the request. ?Does this look like a warehouse??

"Surely you have some here, just in case,? Obi-Wan said hopefully, wondering if he should use the Force on her. ?I have enough money for -that-.?

The word mon

8. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    :eek: Oh, dear! Poor Obi-Wan was only trying to help! I wonder how he's going to manage to bring the saline back and take care of Qui-Gon when he's in jail.... ;)

Wonderful post, Jane! That little girl was cute!!

9. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Oh boy... Poor Obi, being so sweet usually has its drawbacks!!!!

More soon please! :D

10. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    "Pass the tissues."

Everyone is being so mean to Obi ;)

That post was sweet and sad.

11. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    *chews nails* No!!! He has to get back to Qui-Gon!! He's not bad!! Noooo!!!

Meanies! :mad:

Lil girl is sweet! :)

12. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Oh dear, poor Obi's getting stuck with all these other things when he needs to help Qui-Gon. I hope he doesn't get into too much trouble. That was a really cool Post Jane. I like the whole thing about Obi needing to take care of Qui-Gon, and have all these other things he needs to do. Post more soon! :)

13. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I wonder what the people on this planet have heard to distrust the Jedi so much. It looks, though as if Obi is in for some trouble. At first I thought the high prices were just for strangers, but I guess things are high for everyone. I hope Obi doesn't lose the saline solution for Qui-Gon.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Hmmm, I guess I was so use to the people acting badly toward the Jedi I fully expected the girl to try some trick. ;)

Boy, this is one planet full of greedy people!! 100 denars for a healer to go to Qui-Gon...oh wait... it'd probably cost more right here at home as doctors don't exactly make house calls anymore.

Loved how Obi-Wan immediately deemed the helping of the small girl as important and that they each saw the other as nice!! :D :D

Obi better run before the cops take him away!!

Excellent post Jane!! :) :)

15. Jessica Kenobi

Jessica Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    A force adept, huh? Well that was nice of Obi to help her. Unfortunately, he will probably be taken into custody and then Qui-Gon will be in a spot of trouble, ne?

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hm, and we thought Qui-Gon was the one with the soft spot for helpless life forms... ;) I hope the saline solution survives whatever's coming!

Renata
    (old enough to remember when doctors made house calls...)

17. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Well, I guess no good deed goes unpunished, huh?

I'm glad I found the time to get to this. Post more soon, Jane! :D

18. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Hmm.. looking for a post...

Wonderful as usual, Jane.

Tra la laa!

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

19. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks for the great replies, everybody. Well, some of you have predicted correctly--and some of you haven't, but I will say no more.

"I was not trying to steal anybody!? Obi-Wan protested. The girl had increased her speed even more and disappeared around a corner. ?She asked me to walk her across the bridge, so I did, that?s all.?

The men reached for their truncheons. ?All right, we?ll handle this. Move along.?

The younger man did so, obviously reluctantly, and after he?d gone a few steps in the direction of the bridge, one of the Patrolmen growled, ?From now on, Jedi, you keep your hands off our kids!?

"I was only helping her,? Obi-Wan explained, shifting into a defensive stance.

"We don?t want Jedi help, and we?re going to make sure you remember that.? The Patrolman swung his truncheon and Obi-Wan, who had been expecting it, thrust out his hand with Force-assisted speed and grabbed it. For a moment, they stood motionless, locked together.

"She asked for my help,? Obi-Wan stated again, looking the Otorian straight in the eye.

"If she did, it was because she?s blind and didn?t know any better.? The second Patrolman brought his truncheon down, meaning to smash it savagely into Obi-Wan?s arm, but Obi-Wan was quicker, letting go and whipping around to his left. In one smooth, fast movement, he circled around on the ball of his right foot and swung his left leg out, sweeping the legs out from beneath the Otorian and sending him sprawling.

In control of his truncheon once again, the first Patrolman rushed him, swinging it high over his head. Reaching up, Obi-Wan caught the man?s hand, then let the man?s forward momentum assist him in throwing his opponent onto the pavement. Obi-Wan didn?t want to hurt the Patrolmen, as they would then probably insist on having him arrested for grievous bodily harm, but he did want to defend himself. The second Otorian had already scrambled to his feet again and as soon as Obi-Wan?s movements had afforded him a split second of opportunity, he took it, slamming the truncheon into Obi-Wan?s stomach and almost knocking the breath out of him. Without pausing, he aimed for Obi-Wan?s head next, but Obi-Wan ducked under the oncoming blow. Grabbing the man?s arm with one hand, he slammed his other fist directly into the Otorian?s bicep, hitting the pressure point there with all his might. The Patrolman?s hand opened involuntarily, and Obi-Wan caught the truncheon before it fell, then tossed it away, pushing the Otorian backwards at the same time.

Hoping that he?d bought himself enough time to get away from the fight, Obi-Wan glanced around for an escape route. But the first Patrolman was back on his feet again and coming in from his left hand side, waving the hard wooden club. Dodging both that blow and the accompanying kick, he made to answer with a kick of his own, but his robe swung heavily around his legs and slowed his movement just enough for the Patrolman to get a tenuous grip on his foot with one hand and his truncheon. At that exact moment when he was already unbalanced, something barrelled into him from behind, knocking him away from the Patrolman and into the cobblestones with bruising force. Feeling his ankles being pinned to the ground by the body weight of his attacker, Obi-Wan was surprised to feel first one and then a second person sit on him as well. He didn?t have much of a chance to consider who the third person could be, however. The Force screamed a warning and he managed to get his left arm up just in time to protect his head. The Otorians began to pound him wherever they could reach.

A repeated blow split one of the IV bags open, spilling the liquid across Obi-Wan?s thigh and onto the pavement beneath. When the puddle became visible, the patrolman closest to it stopped and stood up hastily, pulling his colleague up as well. Out of the corner of his eye, Obi-Wan saw that the third assailant was the young man who had falsely accused him. Laughing and congratulating each other on having beaten the shu-shu out of a

20. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Hmmmm... she's skating close to the edge, but it's not...quite...torture. Since he did have a chance to fight back (finally!) Sigh, I know "Jedi seek not revenge," but I would have loved to see him kick the tar out of those guys! [face_devil]

See? A good, exciting story WITHOUT torture IS possible!!! :D Who else out there is brave enough to try? (Angst is okay, you can have all the angst you want...)

Okay. We want more! More! Oh, all right, I let you finish the pumpkin pie first! ;)

21. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    No OBI torture?!?!I am not sure I will know how to read this.LOL LOL.Excellent story so far,PEACE Ewen

22. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Whew, for a minute I thought Obi would lose all the saline solution, I'm glad it was just one, but considering how much it cost I'm sure even one was a lot. I get the feeling that the guy on the bridge was deliberatly out to make trouble for our young padawan. He certainly succeeded. Love this even if there is no torture in it. ;)

23. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    Awesome detailed writing, Jane! I especially loved the all the descriptions of Obi-Wan bargaining w/the shop woman and the way she helped only if money was involved. The touch of "He's not a Jedi! He's nice!" was also really good that those who are Jedi must be evil relation.

I was really afraid Obi-Wan would lose the saline solution too. That would have made the darn trip a complete disaster. Can't wait for more!

24. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Jane, this is only the second of your fics I've read. Do you always send Obi and Qui to places where people hate Jedi? ;) :D

25. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Do I always send Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to the places that hate Jedi? No, not always, but it's more fun when I do! ;)

The next day, the fever was still alarmingly high, and to make things worse, Qui-Gon had started to wheeze while breathing, and coughed occasionally. Obi-Wan placed a hand on his shoulder and gave him another burst of strength to help the fight, as much as he could spare, and then some. As he did so, Qui-Gon murmured something that sounded like ?An-Paj?, which made Obi-Wan worry even more. Feeling the will of the Force, he then made his way into the city again, running at Force-speed so as not to have to spend too much time away from Qui-Gon. Hopeful that the parts had arrived already, he entered Piniker?s Parts, coming forward and laying his hands flat against the counter without speaking first, as a sign of goodwill. His bruises had healed, and only the twinge in his elbow reminded him that anything had happened at all.

"Sorry, they haven?t come yet,? Piniker answered his inquiry. ?Try again to-morrow. Or I could have them delivered straight to your ship when they arrive. One hundred dennars, cash in advance.?

"I?ll pick them up here,? Obi-Wan said, trying to hide his confusion. If it had been the will of the Force that he come to the city to-day, then why weren?t the parts here? Bowing, he exited and began to walk quickly back towards the bridge, only thinking of getting back to the ship as soon as possible, checking on Qui-Gon, and calling the Jedi Temple for help. In the same place where he?d been beaten the day before, he saw a figure huddled on the ground, trying to get up and falling back again. Two patrolmen went by, looking at the figure and shaking their heads, but making no move to help even when the young man put out his hand in an entreating gesture.

Feeling the Force swirl around him, Obi-Wan knew then why he?d been called to the city. The young man needed help, and it seemed that nobody else would give it to him. Even now, an older woman was just passing by, glancing down and then moving quickly away. Obi-Wan couldn?t help wondering if anybody would stop and help if the young man offered a hundred dennars, cash in advance. For himself, however, the prompting of the Force was incentive enough. Quickening his step, Obi-Wan came closer and was just about to squat down and offer assistance when he recognised the figure. It was the young man from the day before. Startled, Obi-Wan froze.

"Help me,? the man moaned, seeing only that someone was standing over him, but obviously not seeing who it was. Blood was trickling from his nose. ?Please...just help me...get home...?

This was the will of the Force? Obi-Wan wanted to turn on his heel and walk away.

Why did the Force want him to help this--this snitch? This was the young man who?d falsely accused him of wanting to steal a child. He?d stood by and watched with obvious enjoyment as Obi-Wan was beaten--he?d even helped the Patrolmen get the better of Obi-Wan. He was indirectly responsible for the loss of one of the precious bags of saline solution which Qui-Gon needed so much.

Why was the Force compelling Obi-Wan to stop and help him?

Obi-Wan was sorely tempted to carry on walking and make the young man drag himself home, the same way he?d had to. He knew it was wrong, of course, to want revenge, especially on somebody who had acted out of ignorance, but that ignorance had endangered Qui-Gon, and that was something Obi-Wan found he couldn?t easily forgive. He also found himself begrudging this Otorian even a few minutes of his time, and tried to justify his feelings by reminding himself how sick Qui-Gon was and how he was getting steadily worse, how much more he needed Obi-Wan?s help than this snitch did.

As he stood there, clenching his fists in indecision, Obi-Wan was suddenly reminded of how he?d learned the hard way to follow the will of the Force, even when it seemed to be leading him in a different direction than he wanted to go. The consequences had been devastating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.