main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trust in the Force (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jane Jinn, Nov 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Listen to the force Obi! I hope the Duke is not an ungreatful puke.

Oh Jane you made my heart sank when that I.V. broke, good thing he had more than one.

All of Jane's stories are good because they are Jane's.

2. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    :( I thought I replied to this already.... *sigh* stupid computer :(

Wonderful post, Jane! I'm glad our boy stopped to help even though he didn't want to, you pointed out that despite the often unrealistic portrayal of a Jedi we see on these boards, even the most 'simple' responses can be a struggle becaus Jedi are, in fact, human. It seems to me that the Duke is ungrateful and even suspicious, after Obi-Wan took the time to drag the man there. Grrrr! :mad:

Looking forward to seeing what happens, Jane!

3. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    *nods vigorously* Yup, yup, always better to take the high road, even when everyone around you is behaving like-- oh, I guess I can't use that kind of language. But you get the idea! [face_mischief]

Hm, it seems this whole price-gouging thing isn't just directed at outsiders. Reminds me of stories I read about Shanghai during WWII, where firefighters refused to fight fires in houses that had been bombed out unless payment was guaranteed! So will the Duke offer Obi-Wan a (much-deserved) reward? Will they all be shocked if Obi-Wan refuses? (I think he should). Can Obi-Wan trick the Healer into doing some pro bono work for his ailing Master?

:eek: And I'll be away for three days and will have to wait to find out!!! :_|

4. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow, the Otorians are certainly obsessed by money, I can't believe the healer carried a timer to be sure he would get his bonus. I wonder what the Duke wants with Obi-Wan and why did the young man say he couldn't marry his girlfriend? Looking forward to more.

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    It was about three hours later by the time the Duke returned. The butler had leaped from his office to the door as soon as the speeder had stopped outside, but the Duke ignored him as he entered, and headed straight for Obi-Wan.

"Jedi!?

Obi-Wan got to his feet and bowed in the most dignified way he knew. ?My lord??

"You?ve saved my son?s life. Name your price.?

"My lord, that is not necessary. I am a Jedi. We follow the will of the Force, and do not act for recompense,? Obi-Wan replied in the way he?d been brought up.

"You don?t act for recompense?? The Duke seemed to have trouble following this concept.

"That is correct, my lord.?

The Duke rolled his eyes. ?No wonder my grandfather didn?t let Otoria join the Republic. Never mind. And does the will of the whatsit forbid you from being my guest??

"No, my lord, it does not.? In fact, the Force was screaming at Obi-Wan to accept.

"Fine. You?re my guest of honour.? The Duke signalled to the butler to come forward. ?Give him an unlimited cash card to pay his hotel bills and any other expenses he might have. You may not refuse, Jedi, and you must use it! That?s part of being my guest.?

"Yes, my lord,? Obi-Wan and the butler said at the same time.

"And what brought you here to our beautiful planet??

"Our hyperdrive is damaged. We landed to buy some replacement parts, but although they have been ordered, they have not yet arrived.?

"Where did you order them??

"Piniker?s Parts, my lord.?

"When??

"Three days ago.?

To the butler, the Duke said, ?Comm Piniker and offer him two hundred in advance if he?ll have the parts ready by to-morrow noon.?

"Yes, my lord,? the butler replied with obvious distaste.

"Right, then, that?s settled, you?ll stay here to-night. I?ll expect to see you at dinner.?

"My master --?

"Bring him, too.?

"He?s very ill and needs a Healer --?

The Duke turned to the butler again. ?Get the Healer back here. And remember, Jedi, your cash card covers every expense, even Healers and hospitals.?

"Thank you, my lord.?

"Anything else we can do for you, Jedi??

Obi-Wan bowed in acceptance, relief flooding through him. ?It is more than enough. Thank you for your generosity, my lord.?

"It is nothing in comparison to my son?s life, but if you are content with this, the least that I can do, then I will also be content,? the Duke replied, breathing true feeling into a standard phrase. Then he sighed. ?I told him not to get involved with a girl from the other side of the city. But he was determined to have his fun before we arranged a marriage for him, and he was too inexperienced to see that she wasn?t welcoming him with open arms just because of his handsome face. Her whole family must have really been hoping--never mind. I have to get back to work now. Time is money, you know.?

He strode off down the corridor and Obi-Wan bowed quickly in farewell, then straightened up again. With a barely disguised look of disdain, the butler went into his office and returned carrying a small metal tray, upon which rested a small chip card. He extended the tray, and Obi-Wan took the card wonderingly, seeing the insignia of the Duke on one side and the word ?unlimited? on the other.

It was the same Healer as before who drove Obi-Wan out to the space port, asking questions about the onset of the illness and making the ?huh? sounds again after each of Obi-Wan?s statements. After scanning Qui-Gon in detail, taking a blood probe and then examining the wound, he reached for his comlink and notified the emergency medical transport. Obi-Wan was allowed to ride in the front next to the driver, but was then sent to a half full waiting room as soon as they arrived at the hospital.

Not long after, a female Otorian nurse called for the Jedi, and he stood up, expecting to be led to Qui-Gon, but she merely came over and said, ?Antidote for the poison, nine hundred dennars, cash in advance.?

"Poison?? Obi-Wan asked, automatically handing over the card. The nurse?s eyes widened in awe as she tur

6. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Was it that bad? Or is everybody away on this holiday week-end?

7. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    No, it wasn't bad at all. I'm just walking around with the feeling that this (your last post) is only the calm before the storm.

I'm the suspicious, cynical type. :D

8. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, as much as I hate disappointing my readers, perhaps I'd better say that the next post will be the last one, the happy ending.

9. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Holy Smokes.... a new Jane Jinn story and I almost missed it... now how did that happen
    ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain] ?[face_plain]

Thank the force I found it, I am sad that there is only one post to go, but a good story is a real treat!!!!

I bow once again to the Queen of Obi torture, even if he didn't get "tortured" in the one he never gets off easy with Jane around... you go girl!!!!!

10. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    HAHA! The near "baby" incident was hilarious, Jane!

I've really enjoyed this story and cannot believe that it's almost over! :(
    But all good things must come to an end and to hit another cliche, it's a true matter of what goes around comes around for Obi-Wan who acted selflessly and got what he needed in the end.

11. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Well, this is it, the last post. I hope it's as satisfying as the rest of the story. If you feel I left you hanging in some respect, please don't hesitate to tell me, so that I can do better next time. And thanks for reading and replying, everybody! I really appreciate all your comments.

The next morning when Obi-Wan entered the hospital room, still holding his cash card after having to pay the visiting fee of ten dennars, Qui-Gon was sitting up in bed looking alert, and smiled broadly when he came in. ?Obi-Wan.?

"Master. You?re looking better.?

"I feel better.? He paused, then said, ?The Healer mentioned poison??

"Apparantly, the Ramasians rolls their projectiles in it,? Obi-Wan explained, sitting down on the bed-side chair.

"Oh. Perhaps that?s why I kept dreaming that I had something important to tell An-Paj.?

"A subconscious message that you were dying?? Obi-Wan asked.

"Or that I needed medical help. How long have I been here??

"Just since yesterday afternoon.?

Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow and Obi-Wan hastened to explain the entire situation, from not having enough money to now holding an unlimited cash card. When he?d finished, he sighed, and Qui-Gon asked,?What is it??

"It?s been a long time since I?ve felt that much temptation not to do the will of the Force,? Obi-Wan replied. ?I knew what it wanted me to do, but I didn?t want to. I just wanted to walk away.?

"But you made the right choice in the end,? Qui-Gon nodded approvingly.

"I know that--now. But at the time, I didn?t know how things would work out. I couldn?t understand why the Force was telling me to help him, when I wanted to get back to you.?

"And then??

"And then I remembered the last time I didn?t listen, and how everything went wrong. And I put my trust in the Force and did what it was telling me.? Obi-Wan frowned a little as he remembered how close he?d come to making the wrong decision. ?I can see now that it saved your life.?

"We must always trust in the Force, even when we don?t understand why,? Qui-Gon said. ?Not every reason for our actions will be as clearly revealed as this one. Sometimes we are left without understanding, with only our trust.?

"I know.?

"I know you know.? Qui-Gon smiled a little. ?You did very well, Obi-Wan, during the whole situation. I?m proud of you.?

Obi-Wan grinned at the praise he didn?t often hear from his master in so many words. ?I?m glad you?re still alive, master. I wouldn?t like to be kicking myself right now for doing the wrong thing and having lost you as a result.?

"Think of that next time you?re tempted not to follow the will of the Force.?

"I will, but--? Obi-Wan?s expression sobered and he let his voice trail off as he ran his thumb over the edge of the card.

"But??

"What if I do everything right and you still die??

"It might happen, but at least you would have nothing to regret,? Qui-Gon announced.

Obi-Wan nodded slowly, considering these words, and Qui-Gon added, ?As it is, I?m also glad I?m still alive. There are few things more satisfying for a master than to see how his padawan is growing and learning and becoming a fine Jedi.?

"Thank you,? Obi-Wan said seriously. ?Not just for saying that, but for teaching me.?

Qui-Gon beamed. ?It is my honour and my pleasure.?

Obi-Wan glanced down at the card in his hands, turning it over and over.

"You?re still troubled about something?? Qui-Gon asked.

"Not exactly troubled. I was just wondering...? Obi-Wan said, looking up briefly.

"Yes??

"It?s so trivial.?

"Nothing that makes you think is ever trivial, Obi-Wan.?

"Well, I was wondering why this planet is named Otoria and not Cash-in-Advancia.? Obi-Wan grinned, and caught the pillow that Qui-Gon tossed in his direction.

The End

12. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    That was great Jane! :D Loved every single post. LOL-cash in advancia! [face_laugh]

What if I do everything right and you still die?

Eek! No! don't go there!

So Jane got any other projects coming soon? :)

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    First off, you wanted to know if you left us hanging that we should tell you...

ok, I was expecting a thousand post story and am disappointed that it's already ended. Your stories are always such a fabulous read it's always sad when we come to the end.

As to the last three posts, I found them awesome. The young man being what the Force was directing Obi-Wan to. The man's father at least veiwing his son's life worthy enough to compensate Obi-Wan for saving it.

It was wonderful to see Qui-Gon well, and that last line about Cash-in Advancia was the perfect ending.

Thanks for sharing this with us and I hope there'll be more from you soon!! :) :)

14. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Great way to end it, Jane! Wonderful! :)

Cash-in-Advancia, indeed! [face_laugh]

When will we see more?

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Thanks for reading! I was a bit worried about the ending, but it seems to have come over all right. :) I'm sorry it wasn't a "thousand-post" story, I like reading long stories too, but the plot bunny just wasn't that big.

I have another story in the early planning stages, but I'm afraid it won't come soon. I'll set myself a deadline of three months, though, so you can start hoping to read it at the beginning of March.

16. Jedi_Joon

Jedi_Joon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2001
    Hi Jane!
    Like Healer Leona, I felt a bit disappointed that the story ended so quickly. But like a consummate, professional author, you knew when it was time to end the story w/the storyline you had in mind. Like all great writers, your stories are never hampered by "writing fat".

I'm looking forward to the next story you've got cooking and will definitely be on the look out for it.

--Joon

17. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Jane, I can only add to what everyone has already said. Lurking as I have been, I too was saddened that it ended so quickly, but that said I cannot complain - the ending was just fantastic! And the entire story was a treat. More An-Paj! You've just gotta love that man! :) :) :)

I do hope you will continue to write more such wonderful stories!

18. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Like everyone else, I'm sad to see the story end, Jane! :( The boards just aren't the same without a Jane Jinn story! I'm looking forward to March already!

The plot was great....the writing was great...overall an awesome story! The ending was fine, no cliffhangers and no droning on. The conversation on Qui-Gon's possible death was *very* interesting in light of episode 1. LOL that last line - "Cash-in-Advance!!" heheh that was great, a girl can't help loving Obi's sense of humor! ;)

19. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Wow, where can I find a Duke like that? Yup, it ended very well, if too soon... frankly, I kind of wanted to see the nasty Duke-ling squirm as he realized that Obi-Wan had repaid his cruelty with selflessness (are you SURE you can't write an addendum?) Oh, well.

Well done, Jane!

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I come back from a holiday and there are new Jane Jinn posts everywhere.....this is so coooooooolllllll!

It was excellant Jane! I loved the way that everything turned out alright and the way that the Duke seemed like the nicest person on the planet (apart from the blind girl) and everything!

Huggles
    Kithera

21. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    WOW! A Jane story with no torture. I'm impressed. :) Just teasing, Jane. And it was quite good, very entertaining.

If you'd like help with fight scenes in the future I'd be more than happy to lend a hand as well. :)

22. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    WONDERFUL ENDING! (Cash-in-Advancia! LOL! [face_laugh])

Looking forward to a new story!

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

23. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Great ending, Jane! Cash-in-Advancia LOL! Thanks for sharing this with us!

24. HaiGan

HaiGan Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2000
    I don't know, I'm about two months late in noticing this! I'd never have seen it at all if it wasn't in your sig., Jane. And well worth the read it was!

I liked the way that although Jedi were obviously distrusted, there was a lot more depth to the society than just having them as a bunch of Jedi-haters. I liked seeing a fight scene that wasn't full of lightsabers and blasters. I liked the way that both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan sensed the will of the Force up to a point, but had to trust in it, or work out how to enterpret it, or (in Qui-Gon's case) fail to understand what it was saying to them. Jedi aren't all-knowing, a lot of training is needed to make use of their unique abilities, and you made that very clear in a simple but effective manner.

And I do, do like seeing a well-written, well-structured story with a plot that doesn't run on into dozens or hundreds of pages. In some ways I think that a proper short story like that is harder to write than a longer one, because you have to fit so much more into less space.

Okay, I liked it, can you tell? :) :)

25. Jade_Skywalker

Jade_Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    That was cute. :D I really liked the ending with Qui-Gon throwing the pillow that Obi-Wan. Great story!!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.