main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truth is Stranger than Fiction - And this worries me

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Man arrested over peace T-shirt

EDITED FOR INFLAMMATORY REMARKS

2. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    just wondering what else they were doing to attract attention .

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    nothing from what i ahve heard. the mall is just is playing the whole, we are private property thing and was tellig people what they could where in their.

4. Mistress

Mistress Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 28, 2002
    Its a hard thing to judge. Both sides of the debate feel very strongly about it. I think everyone is nervous about the future and what will happen overseas. It makes me uncomfortable to see the protests, not because I am a violent evil person, but because I see a potentially devastating division in opinion among americans. I feel that same unease when I hear people on the other side of the fence talk about killing off any potential enemy indiscriminately.

I guess what I'm saying is its a hard thing to judge. My self-righteous side says, "discrimination and censorship are wrong." My scared to death side says, "I dont want to see any reminder of whats happening in the world."

I just wish it could all be over.

5. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001

6. arrowheadpodracer

arrowheadpodracer Jedi Master star 5

Apr 9, 2002
    I may disagree with everything someone says, but I will defend their right to say it in public.

On the flipside-

If someone comes on my private property & I dont like what they have to say,
    Well then they better get movin.

But a t-shirt? jeez, relax Mr Mall owner. Noones chanting or singing or anything.

7. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I agree that it is everyones right to be heard. I really do. I also understand how easy it can be to trample on one sides rights trying to protect the other sides feelings.

I hope it doesnt come to internment camps again...I really do. Fear can bring out the worst in people. I think it is fear, not malice that is causing so much dissension among us right now. I have to believe that.

For example...my brother and I cant even have a conversation anymore without it turning to politics, and getting ugly. I'm sure my familys situation is the norm, not the exception. Our opinions are varied and divided on this issue, and I see that as a larger danger than any terrorist or foreign tyrant.

8. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Varied and divided opinions are never a danger, being persecuted for having a different viewpoint is.

You're bothered by your arguments with your brother and family.
    Consider how much more it would bother you if your brother's opinion was the accepted "norm" and any other opinion was outlawed, and you had to spend those family meetings silent because you weren't even allowed to argue your viewpoint with him.

9. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001

10. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    I think perhaps I'm not being clear enough...

I AGREE that censorship is wrong and should be stamped out wherever it festers.

What I'm trying to say is, this is a situation like I have never seen before. The whole world is erupting, and frankly that freaks me out. I think it freaks out a lot of people...on both sides of the peace/war issue. I'd give up just about anything not to have to worry every single morning if todays the day it all falls apart. I think the entire nation is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and I find that as dangerous as a dry lightning storm in Colorado on a windy day.

Maybe the security at the mall were trying to avoid a brawl. I can totally see that happening. Have you been to a rally? People from both sides show up, pissed off, and it can get very ugly very quickly.

I'm not trying to convince anybody that I'm right and they're wrong....thats the furthest thing from my mind.

11. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    Unfortunately, the stupid mall owner can do whatevr he wants with his propety.

But fortunately, people who dont agree with his decisions can just stop shopping there.

Yeah, its a hassle & yeah it sucks, but thats the price of our freedom. Apparently, stupid people are free to be stupid (within the ever changing boundaries of the law) and we all just have to tolerate it.

12. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    if the guys were not doing anything wrong they should have not messed with them . but like josh said , the mall owner can boot whoever they want .we have all seen peaceful demonstrations get gassed . alot has to do with power trip .

13. spikealus

spikealus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2002
    okay putting my .02 in

first of all everyone just simmer down now!
    LOl!!!

those dudes should have been arrested by the fashion police or in this case the fashion security police

tye dyed shirts w/ peace signs eewww!!!

sorry just not hip

let it go!

:D

14. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] Thanks Spikey!! I needed that.......

15. darth_hair

May 8, 2001
    thats funny

16. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    BTW, the Aurora mall wont let you wear a bandanna. You also cant go in if you're under eighteen and its a school day. Discrimination? Maybe, maybe not.

Mall logic...go figure ;)

17. BibsForTuna

BibsForTuna Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2003
    I've been thinking about this, and I'm kinda with DH. I'm just wondering what else was going on. I mean unless you were standing right there watching the whole thing, you don't really know exactly what happend. The news, try as it may to be unbiased, will put things in such a way as to sell the most papers or whatever and it sounds much more intresting to say that he was thrown in jail for nothing, then to say he was baligerant(sp) and disterbing in peace. Not that I know that's what happend, because I was not there, but I think you get my point. Just a thought. :)

18. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001

19. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Bibs-4-tuna brings up a good point. We all know the media is biased. You can watch CNN and FoxNewsChannel and get two COMPLETELY polar news casts. The truth tends to be found somewhere in the middle.

20. arrowheadpodracer

Apr 9, 2002
    ZOO- thats the information we've been given. I think what BFT is trying to say is- that might not be ALL the information.
    Maybe there was a demonstration the day before, the week before, whatever. Maybe it got out of hand, or maybe they all sang childrens songs. Who knows. Maybe this week the mall cops were instructed to be HUGE jerks to anyone who wasnt wearing a Tommy Hilfiger t-shirt.
    All we "know" is what "they" told us.

I think we're all in agreeance that we would like to pick our own t-shirts, but we could pick the rest of this to pieces forever.

21. spikealus

Apr 30, 2002

I just got back from the mall and I did not get arrested ;)

although the fashion security force could have done some business there eeewwwww!

maybe I'm just callous and strange but I really don't care if those guys got kicked out and if he resisted arrest then hey that is the way it goes

"Friends don't let friends wear tye dye tshirts w/ slogans"

LOL!!!
    simmer down now

22. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    LOL!!!!!!!!!

Yah, I dont think they were asked to leave because the mall police dont agree with their politics (which would be discrimination)

I think the mall (like many others across the country) has simply adopted some rules of conduct, if you will. Perhaps something like, t-shirts with inflammatory slogans are not allowed. Schools have dress codes, as do most offices, restaurants, etc. In my mind, that isnt discrimination. I think its just a part of living in a structured society..with rules.

23. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Those rules include, the right to free expression in public places so long as indecency is not involved (as defined by community standards).

This was a plain white t-shirt (not tie-dyed) with the words "GIVE PEACE A CHANCE" in black block capital letters.

The facts ZOO related are the facts, there are not two versions of this out there, i've seen it on several media outlets and several interviews with the men themselves.

24. spikealus

Apr 30, 2002
    my bad it wasn't tye dyed then down with those fascist pigs and call off the fashion police

:D

25. Mistress

Oct 28, 2002
    Just in case you didnt realize this, spikealus was quite obviously making a joke about the whole tie-dyed thing. 8-} No need to get spongey.

It seems to me like a little thing, that got pumped full of drama. If someone from the mall, an unbiased witness comes forward and says, "Hey, man...its a conspiracy." then I'll believe it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.