main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

try me!

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by DarthThore, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthThore

DarthThore Jedi Youngling

Aug 11, 2003
    give me any reason why you didnt like the pahantom menace and ill tell you why your wrong for thinking that.

go ahead give it a try!

2. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Welcome to the Phantom Menace section of the Jedi Council forums.

3. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
  4. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    Good luck, DarthThore!

I'll warn you that a lot of bashers are very set in their ways and will argue with you till the cows come home.

I love TPM so you won't get any statements from me. :)

5. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Love your enthusiasm DarthThore.

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Because I am forbidden to love and become attached to things, including films, because I'm a Jedi.

HA! I win. Do I get a prize?

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    HA! I win. Do I get a prize?

Nope, because you forgot your manual sig. [face_mischief]

8. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    MY GOD SHE DID!!!!!!

I guess she hates him now :p

Hey Thore, I hate Jar Jar

9. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Shut up dolts, I couldn't very well win the prize if I rambled on about how I can't love and then said
    -sj loves kevin spacey
    could I?!!?!

Well I suppose I could anyway because... I said so :)

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Hey Thore, I don't like the way the poster had EPISODE I as the main part instead of the title. Phantom Menace should have been the notable part, not EPISODE I. Now tell me why I'm wrong.

11. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    I didn't like the Phantom Menace because everyone was mean to Jar Jar.

Why am I wrong?

12. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Actually, I think Thore has the last laugh.

give me any reason why you didnt like the pahantom menace

Now, I can tell you a lot of things I didn't like about The Phantom Menace.

But I don't have much to say about the pahantom menace, whatever that is.

Rick McCallum pahants you!

13. SSD_Lusyanka

SSD_Lusyanka Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2003
    LOL! You won't get a statement form me either, because it's one of my favorite movies. ( don't bash me )

14. DarthThore

Aug 11, 2003
    Good eye AdamBertocci, i thought no one would see that.

15. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    It failed to capture the spirit of the OT. It was a technological photoplay without the substance behind it.
    The actors were extremely wooden in their performances. The only one who was able to rise above the script even slightly was Liam Neason.
    The fight scenes were badly filmed, so that it was difficult to see what was going on except for a few clips. The documentary on th making of the movie displayed the fights better than the actual movie.
    Darth Maul was a weak and totally uninteresting character. "I'm evil, hissss. I have two sentences of dialog. People know I'm a badass because I have goofy facepaint. Oooooooooh."

Who's story is it? ANH was clearly Luke's story. ESB was Han's story. RotJ was Vader's story. TPM? Um... QuiGonn's maybe? AotC? it's too much of a mess to guess.

OT was a springboard for new actors. TPM was a showcase for "How many big names can we afford to get?"

16. DarthThore

Aug 11, 2003
    well koohii, seems you hate the pahantom menace very deeply. please tell me what it is?

17. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    The only 'big names' in TPM are Liam & Ewan (who the general moviegoing public didn't know anyway), and Sam (who is in a minor part and perfect for it). TPM is there to set up the characters, which is tough, but it does a pretty good job.

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Of course, nowadays Keira Knightley is a pretty big name. Whoops! ;)

And Natalie Portman's career got a big boost as she got older (and hotter), TPM may have contributed to that.

Sofia Coppola... big name, sort of. Although she's not exactly a crucial character. :p

Terence Stamp and Brian Blessed probably aren't names the average man on the street knows but have their followings (or, more specifically, movies they're in have followings!)

EDIT: TPM was a showcase for "How many big names can we afford to get?"

ANH had Alec Guinness, and one of the reasons he was hired was for his big name. Big names make Fox happy.
    While he wasn't a huge star (more of a cult figure), it had Peter Cushing as well.

Rick McCallum loves you!

19. Onnie

Onnie Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    The only 'big names' in TPM are Liam & Ewan (who the general moviegoing public didn't know anyway),

Now SJ you know I love debating with ya's but surely you jest! Shcindler's List for starters?

No no no, this is all wrong. Many people knew who Liam was. If not, they have a serious movie taste problem. :D That show was so beautifully filmed. (Not talking about all the content, talking about the Black & White filming, etc.)

And Ewan, if people didn't know who Ewan was... eh, their loss. (grins) ;)

20. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Ah yes, Oscar-winning Liam Neeson

And Brian Blessed isn't exactly not well known

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    What are you talking about? I thought everyone loved Terrance Stamp in The Adventures of Priscilla: Queen of the Desert!

-sj loves kevin spacey

22. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    ... bringing us back to the point that it's the movie that gets the remembrace, not him. "Priscilla" is a cult film that gets notoriety value. (EDIT: And I would argue that its status as a cult film exceeds the content of the story or performances or dialogue when people think of it.)

It's also a quality flick if you ask me. :D

Fine crop of actors in there for the genre film fan, incidentally. Where else can you see General Zod, Agent Smith and Leonard Shelby in drag? :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

23. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Exactly my point! :p ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Yes, OT had Alec Guiness, Peter Cushing, and Julian Glover (another not-famous in the US, but well-known in UK). That's it.

PT has Liam Neason, Ewan MacGregor, Brian Blessed (who may not be well known in the US, but is still well known), Terrance Stamp (same), Ian MacDermid (OK, I know I mis-spelled it), Natalie Portman (OK, not that big a name at the time, but I recognized it), Samuel L Jackson, and Ray Park (see note for NP). Add to that Christophe Lee for AotC and (we presume) ep3.

I believe I made my list of problems clear, DarthThore. Please debate them, as you said you would.

25. Kirr_Canos

Kirr_Canos Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 12, 2003
    IMO: We don't have to forget that no new movie can be as good as the OT. Maybe GL is trying to hard to get the same quality with the PT as the OT. Or he just knows that he can't do the trick again (as making a second bestselling trilogy).

So, we just have to watch the PT as a 1st course. You have to decide what the OT will be. Maybe if GL wants to we'll get a nice desert.

Come on guys, don't look at the PT to be as good as the OT, cause that will never happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.