main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Trying to ID an old game

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by PrinceXizor, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I'm looking for the name of a game I played in the first half of the 90s. Now I don't remember well the game, and especially not the platform. I know it wasn't on Commodore 64, and I'm almost positive by the time I got my own first computer (a Pentium), I didn't play it on that machine. So I suppose it probably was on a friend's 486 or something like that. Thing is I don't remember exactly where I played it.

So, the game's based on Q*Bert, but isn't Q*Bert. (Discovered that today only.)

[image=http://www.digitaleclipse.com/live/images/172.gif] <- Q*Bert, for those who haven't a clue about what it is.

Now, my version - as far as my memories go - did not have Q*Bert, or any kind of weird animals, just snakes. They were made of a "chain" of spheres, with a larger one for the head, but they still hopped from one cube to the next.

It might have been turn by turn based, not sure about that either.

The graphics were quite "pixelish", (the edges of the cubes were rather shiny, I think), maybe a bit like Transport Tycoon, but not that good. They were quite good, though, I was quite impressed at the time. (Which isn't saying much, by now if I'd see it again, I'd probably think it sucked.)

I don't remember the goal of the game, but I suppose it was quite similar to the Q*Bert goal.

I think there was some decorative elements, like trees, water, etc. There might have been different environments, like snow, forest, fire, ...

Okay, that's about all I can remember. If anyone could give me a clue to what it was, I'd be really relieved. It's been itchin' my system for years now. (Small itch, but still...)

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wasn't Bubble BObble supposed to be almost the same as Q*Bert?

3. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... Doesn't look like it. From the screens I've seen, it's not even remotey close...

The game I'm looking for looks very much like Q*Bert, especially the isometric "cubish" style.

4. Jedi_Meatbag

Jedi_Meatbag Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    Snake Rattle n Roll, maybe?

5. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh ! Indeed, that's the game ! Thanks a lot.

Although I still can't remember where I could have played that on a NES... Nor on the Megadrive...

Do you know if there were any other ports, esp. on PC ? Maybe with a name change ?

6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    iirc i had snake rattle and roll on the commodore 64, that's no way near megadrive/genesis quality, might be master system

7. Darth_Eradycus

Darth_Eradycus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    Have any of you ever heard of "Astro Panic". It was for the commodore 64, and i was wondering if there were any downloads on the net somewhere. i searched for it, but found astro blaster, and i don't know if thats the same one, or if my dad just had a game that someone else wrote back in '84

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I found an extemely sketchy mention of it here. No real info but it looks like there is some kind of download available.

9. Darth_Eradycus

Darth_Eradycus Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2004
    Ahhh!!!! Molto bene!!! Thanks, thats what i was looking for. hope it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.