main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto TTT Movie night...but where?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SandwichBoy, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandwichBoy

SandwichBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    So far there is enough of a response to consider the midnight showing a movie night, nobody has really given a clear indcation as to which theatre we'd be going to. Leah and I (as well as several non-liners who'd be tagging along) are far more partial to the Varsity than the Paramount, but the Sheppard Grande is also showing it, and I know some of us are still rather fond of our former street home. Considering it is getting pretty close to the wire, a decision does need to be made, and soon.

So, who has tickets, who doesn't and what're everyones votes for the theatre? I for one would like to see it with a crouwd, so I've been holding out until I know where we're going...

2. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Anyone who's told me they've got midnight tickets has them for the Paramount.

I plan to be seeing the 10pm show on the 18th, probably at SilverCity Y&E, one and all are welcome to join me there for what is likely to be your second or third showing. (Darn 2pm exam on the 18th)

3. Jedi_Sheridan

Jedi_Sheridan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 7, 2001
    Anyone for a Whitby AMC showing???

EDIT: Any who are interested, may I suggest that this could be the beginning of the new Durham Chapter, Darth_Shaun and I are trying to put together. Please anyone from the Durham area PM me.

4. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I held off on buying my advance tickets until more opinions/information was posted on the boards. Unfortunetly, I think I might have to stick to the Grande or Silvercity Richmond Hill, or Colossus for the midnight showing becuase the Subway is likely to stop running before the showing ends, and that means I need the car to get back to suburbia. (Or a piece of someone's floor where I can put my sleeping bag until the subway starts running again)

The other option of course is that if there are a number of people coming into the city from the Thornhill/Richmond Hill/Markham/Woodbridge area, I will offer my car to carpool if everyone will agree to chip in for parking, in which case either the Varsity or the Paramount are just fine by me.

I would also love to go with a crowd, if not for the midnight showing than definitley for one of the many subsequent showings I will be attending.

I know, I know, I'd better make up my mind already.

Sabrina

5. SandwichBoy

Dec 11, 2000
    Well, guess it's down to the Paramount or the Grande as I found out today that the Varsity is -not- having a midnight showing.

Boo.

6. Sabrina001

Mar 12, 2002
    Just as a slightly OT aside, the Toronto Star is running a Two Towers contest and one of the prizes up for grabs is a pair of advance tix. Details are at www.thestar.ca/thetwotowers , I think you have to be living in or near the GTA (or be able to travel there on your own) to be eligible though.

Sabrina

7. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    How expensive is the price of tickets at each theatre? Is there any difference?

8. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    Thanks for the info Sabrina, I've entered the contest (I can be in TO after 3pm the day they want you there... I figure that's good enough)

Shmii, as far as I know, all the theaters charge about the same rates. Tickets for the midnight and all evening/weekend shows will probably be 13.50 Some theaters do have student pricing, that won't help you any, but does help out some of us.

9. SandwichBoy

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay, so far I'm seeing the paramount as (sadly) being the official theatre for the 18th. Nobody has spoken up for the grande, and as David said, we already have people with tickets for the Paramount. So, now that we have the theatre decided, it's time to figure out what were doing from the time people get off work, to the requisite 10pm lineup.

Personally, I'm thinking a leisurely dinner between 7 and 8, finish up and head over for something between 9:30/10 and get in line as I'm pretty sure at least a few crazy people will be there by 9:30.

Opinions?

10. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    Line up early. My bet is that there will be crazy folks there lining up by noon.

11. Sabrina001

Mar 12, 2002
    Shmii, There is also Rainbow Cinemas, which costs $7.50 for a prime time show, but I dont know of any Rainbow Cinemas doing a midnight showing, and they rarely have THX level theatres. There are Rainbow Cinemas in Fariview Mall and a few other places around the GTA.

I'll still be going to the Grande, or one of the theatres around here, guess I'll just have to see TTT with you guys when/if we do a matinee or early evening showing sometime in the future.

Sabrina

12. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    I will be back home in whitby by that point. I have a few friends that I am sure want to go see it opening night as we see every movie opening night. I will talk to them and see if they want to show up at the Paramount. Meaning? I may make it to anevent and be able to actually talk to some people....since some still beleive I don't exist. :p

13. SandwichBoy

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay, lets try and agree on a lineup time, and plan backwards from there. David, you seem to think that 9pm is cutting it close (and for anything else I'd disagree, however...) so what should we aim for? 7-8 with an early dinner? Depending on where inside they may be setting up the line, we can always bring some small games or something to do to kill the time, and after a total sum of three weeks waiting for two Star Wars movies, what's 4-5 hours in line for LOTR?

Of course we could simply recreate the lineup in single day form...have a few people with no obligations that day get there really early, and the rest kind of trickle in as the day goes on. Granted it doesn't make for a pre-movie experience for most of us, but it's still the best way to get good seats ^_^

Feedback people!

14. Pissenlit

Pissenlit Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2001
    According to the line party site at www.theonering.net , the toronto line party for tTT has tickets for the 12h01 showing at the Paramount as well...and they're starting their line at noon...in fact, it looks like they have their entire day planned out already with contests and such...I'm thinking it's gonna be a losing battle no matter when we get there...

15. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    And of course, don't forget the wonderful subarctic temperatures!

16. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

getting through lines is NO problem..just use the pattented..

COUGH oh geez i'm so contagious...COUGH oh was that your popcorn? COUGH oh man look at that phlem

approach when entering the theatre ;) trust me seats are NO problem at that point

17. EBCorp3

EBCorp3 Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2002
    You are Duker Duck, and I claim my 5$.

-Not quite ready to decide when & where

18. SandwichBoy

Dec 11, 2000
    Okay, just got my tickets today, and the 12:01 showing at the Paramount is sold out. There is a 12:05 showing which still has tickets, beyond that I don't think there are more showings until the next afternoon, so get your tickets now all of you who have put it off!

19. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Online they still have tickets for the 12:01 showing, but I'm guessing those are limited. So yes - if you're getting tickets, get them now.

20. TheGrandePoobah

Nov 30, 2000
    They may actually be sold out... last year here they oversold the 12:01 preview show and added a 12:05 show. Could be the same deal this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.