main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ TTT; Whatchya think? (obviously spoilers for those who are yet to see it)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Ok, so the 18th Premiere is tonight. People may visit here after seeing it, I think someone said they had a specail ticket.

After this sleep I'll be seeing it.

Whatchya think?

What was awesome?

What sucked? (stupid Q but some scene may have lacked. and Buzz, don't you dare say "TTT" or I'll open up a can o' whoop ass)

What was weird?

What did you think was a "hmmmmmm" moment?

etc...

:D

2. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

The whole LotR trilogy sucks - see I didn't say "TTT". :p

3. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i was going to go to the red carpet thing, but i think its going to rain

4. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    The whole LotR trilogy sucks

.... sure .... if you're a philistine with no appreciation for the subtilities of plot, character development and pace.

This whole SW/LOTR rivalry really irks me. Sure, some of us aren't fans, but why go on about it? I happen to despise the EU, but I don't jump in and slag off the EU whenever someone mentions a new book ... I just bite my tongue.

This reminds me of when I was 17, and you weren't _allowed_ to like The Cure if you liked The Smiths ....

Bashers ... how 'bout just letting us have our fun, huh? No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read the LOTR threads ...

5. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Errr ... yeah ... OK. I guess some people just get grumpy during the Silly Season. [face_plain]

6. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    no grumpiness .... just righteous anger and a small dash of wrath

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    [face_plain]

riiiiight anyhoo, TTT IN 6 HOURS!

:D :D :D

//does a little jiggle//

8. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I think maybe this is one LOTR thread too many, no offense meant to SFL, but any comments about TTT could go in either the Lord of the Rings thread, or the 'Movies' thread.

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    None taken, but by all means, no one is saying dont have a harry potter thread or threads. NZ is not SW. It's for NZ related things.

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    3 words.

OH. MY. GOD.

Peter is god. This film has just sealed my mind on LOTR and my hobby for life :p

it's 3:23am I can't go to bed until I post this and I have to get up in 3 hours.

1/ Gollum: Gollum and his multiple personalities is absolutely amazingly halarious. Sad, shocking, funny, real.

2/ Gimli: Gimli really becomes the joker now that Merry and Pippin have left the shire etc. He's cracking jokes and falling off horses etc. He's great. Then his "toss me" line - HA! Great!

3/ Legolas: Legolas is amazingly awesome. From his sniper shots to his flipping under and onto a horse (against momentum) is truely.... amazing.

4/ Aragorn gets his arse kicked then becomes the leader he is.

5/ Ents: Ents as a whole are wicked! Tree beard was great, (no quick beam :() and their battle was outstanding.

6/ Frodo and Sam: Great scenes, kinda got the impression Sam was a pratt, but he's Frodo's Gardener! That line cracked the whole cinema! [face_laugh]

7/ Faramir: Not too bad, same with Eomer, I guess they come into it next X-mas (damnit too long).

8/ Elves: Go Haldir. RIP but damn you rock Guy Warner! :p

heaps more to say but will have to wait. Although this adrenoline is still in me. Wont be able to sleep. I wanna see it again, then see ROTK NOW!

oh, and the 9/ Wargs! AWESOME!!!!!!!!

//breathe//

Amazing film all up, scenery, music (loved the strings in the Edoras clips)

oh, 10/ The oliphant (mumakil) wow!

10 times more fighting. More action packed. Seemed more condensed, but is a few mins longer than FOTR 2h 53mins or so I think for this one. Changed lots, but still pays tribute to Tolkiens work. I'm sure everyone (even Buzz) would like this film.

edit1 = spelling

edit2 = No Ent Draught (SP?) and the Ent moot was a failure. :( :( :(

11. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000
    > I'm sure everyone (even Buzz) would like this film

It's HIGHLY unlikely that'll I'll ever see it.
    - It's not Star Wars, so I won't bother going to a cinema to see it.
    - I not going to waste "Star Wars" money buying / renting the video / DVD.
    - When it eventually comes on TV it will almost definitely be in the silly "movie timeslot" that finishes (if not starts) after my bedtime.

Maybe in 2040 it'll be on in the weekend lunchtime / afternoon timeslot and I can see it. :)

12. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    It's not Star Wars, so I won't bother going to a cinema to see it.

Does this mean you won't go to _any_ movie which isn't a SW movie? jeeze .... I think I've seen about 60 movies this year ... there's a lot of good stuff out there. There's no point selling yourself short.

SFL ... wasn't it just mind-numbingly brilliant? I think my two favourite scenes were Gandalf fighting the Balrog, and Legolas jumping on the horse. The crowd went nuts when he did that.

I thought the pacing was brilliant, and the fighting was just relentless. I guess my only beef with the films so far is that it annoys me a little that gimli keeps getting played as the buffoon. Still, the dwarf tossing scene was really funny.

Gollum was amazing. He was so disturblingly realistic I was almost repulsed. He looked _exactly_ as I imagined him from the book, although the one negative was that he looked quite different from the Gollum we see in Fellowship. (extremely minor quibble)

OK, I need to drink some coffee, have a can of V and then take some No-Doze ... more thoughts when my head clears, except to say (for now)

BEST MOVIE EVER!!!!!!!

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I whole heartedly agree Thrilled (im not going to call ya honey, your wife may get mad :p)

Gollum was too normal coloured. I always (from the hobbit) imagined him more frog like with dark gree/black slimy skin. But damn he was realistic, and fits in the movie to being "hobbit like" once.

Loved his skitso scenes! :D The crowed cracked up.

Everyone one cheered at Legolas's mount onto the horse! Great.

Loved the start. Gandalf was awesome. Cheesy though:

"Gandalf? Gandalf? hmmmm yes. That's what they use to call me. Gandalf the Grey. I am Gandalf the White"

?[face_plain] riiiiiiighto. :p

Loved how he deflected Gimlis axe and legolas's arrows and made aragorns sword red hot! w00t.

And yea Gimli I thought was kinda cool. Being so tired (when running) and falling over etc. But the part where he's under the warg... then warg and orc... then warg orc and another warg was halarious! Bafoon? Na I didn't think so. :)

14. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

>> It's not Star Wars, so I won't bother going to a cinema to see it.
    >
    > Does this mean you won't go to _any_ movie which isn't a SW movie? jeeze .... ... there's a lot of good stuff out there.

Precisely - I haven't been to ANY movies other than Star Wars ones (and I missed ESB-SE and RotJ-SE :( ) since I was little and got dragged along by one or both parents. I don't really have any interest in them ... especially at $12 or whatever it is a go and the volume turned to the "Deafen Audience" setting. I often watch them on TV when they arrive, but usually miss the end because they finish too late. [face_plain]

15. damolay

damolay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    ooooooooooooooooooooooo get out of it you dirty.

I soooo have to say that was better than FOTR.

I mean, come on. You had not only Arwen, the sutlry goddess that she is, but also the lusty wench that is Eowyn. You know what I'd do if I was Aragorn........Share the love I say.

But polygamy aside, ....... I'm lost for words.

Is it just me, or did this film seem heavier in terms of scenery?
    I'll get my dissapointments out of the way. I wanted to see more of the Ents, Entmoot wasnt nearly as cool, & in my mind Wellinghall was alot cooler than that, I know for sure that I didnt see Merry or Pippin grow taller due to their Entdraughts.

Now, wouldnt the purpose of cookign up what looked to be(not that I eat herbs & Stewed rabbit) a very tasty Coney stew be to eat it?

Also, I was surprised that Pete decided to portray Faramir as such an angry character. I had imagined he'd be calmer, softer than his borhter, more deserving of becoming Steward of Gondor.

But with those gripes aside.

Gollum Gollum Gollum.
    He stole the show.

If anyone wins a best supporting actor Oscar, it should be him(we all know Elijah cant act).

So... much..... to..... say..................not....enuff...time.

Aragorn, wuckud.
    Gimli, hilarious.
    Legolas, styley.
    Gandalf, kickass.
    TreeBeard, grumpy.
    Arwen,oooooooo moisty.

That is all. For now :D

16. damolay

damolay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Now, something that I forgot to mention earlier. I know theres gonna be a lot of hardcore peeps who will fill me in, but, from a logical 'layperson's ' view, I would've thought that if you were an elf, eg Haldir, you were immortal. Or....... is it only the super special magic elves like Galadriel, Elrond & Arwen that are immortal.

Cheers for any clarification.

P.S. Craig Parker(aka Haldir aka Guy Warner) is not only really good in TTT, but is also great as teh narrator in The Rocky Horror show. GO SEE IT, its an experience to say the least!

17. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Damolay:

Elves are immortal in that they are born and do not die of old age. I'm not a Tolkien expert by any means, but my understand is that Elves can ...

a) die from a broken heart
    b) be killed
    c) willingly give up their immortality, ie. Arwen.

In the scene when Frodo, Sam and Gollum are travelling through the Dead Marshes, some of the corpses below the water are dead Elves killed in the great battle with Sauron.

SithForceLord:

I was thinking about Gollum's colouring. The more I think about it, the more I think PJ made the right decision. In the book it describes Gollum's skin as being black, but I think PJ wanted the viewers to appreciate that Gollum was once a Hobbit-like creature. By having his skin a similar hue to Frodo's, it creates more of a bond between the two, in that we can see what the Ring did to him, and what it could do to Frodo.

Well, that's my two cents anyhow ...

Lawrence

18. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    no grumpiness .... just righteous anger and a small dash of wrath

eloquent and nicely worded Lawrence.

I think we all rag on Buzz a bit because he's not into LOTR. It's his choice I suppose and he's entitled to it. The fact that majority of us think he's missing out is just the fact of the matter to those who do support LOTR.

Each to our own I suppose and I'd wager you're not losing any sleep over it Buzz?

Although I haven't seen the film yet *eagerly awaits Sunday* I have been most impressed by what I have seen far and have no doubts it will superceed FOTR.

I'm still a bit annoyed they cut out some parts of the book, mostly Tom Bombadil and Aragron taking Isildur's sword as his own *as he was supposed to do in FOTR in Rivendell* but other things, like Arwen *yum* being in a more included role are impressive and redeeming.

Good to see a Kiwi actor *Karl Urban* in a reasonably main role as well.

19. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    gollum was alot better than i thought he would be........probably the one thing i am completly happy with in FOTR.......he i pretty much as i imagined he would be........

loved the "taters" debate, damm that was funny

now the things i didn't like, or at least was puzzled about:

1.faramir-what the f? PJ totally changes his character, from wise warrior to just another boromir, i hope he is redeemed in ROTK.......i guess all men bar aragorn are crazy fools?--this i feel negativelychanges the spirit of the book
    2.taking Frodo to osgalith? why? was this just an excuse to show some more admittedly cool ruins? there was no need to emphasis the Ring in this way, plenty of chances from the book IMO

well more soon

20. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Evidently one of the actors in this new LotR movie used to be on ****land Street (weren't they all?!?) owning the cafe or something and the guy on the radio kept expecting him to ask if they "want muffins with that" every time he spoke. :D

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    (weren't they all?!?)

Well, maybe you'll just have to watch TTT and see for yourself :p

Yea, loved Gollum. Loved the "PO-TA-TOS!" part too.

Yea, STH is right in the Elves being immortal to a few things.

Yea, I too was slightly shocked at Faramir, but I was expecting as much after reading "LOTR TTT Photo guide". It said he led Frodo and Sam toward Osgiliath and then was pursuaded to let them go. He was far more heroic in the books, being a lot more stronger and leader-like in allowing them to continue but warning them of Cirith Ungol and Gollum's mind. ah well - still great.

Poor Nazgul - came soooo close on a couple of ocasions :p

I felt sorry for Gollum and felt mad at Sam at a few times. At the start when Sam yanks him off the rock, then when he calls him stinker. :( Strange how, even though I've read the books and have a "love" for Sam and "hate" for Gollum, I still am moved by the movie in that PJ makes Frodo friendly toward Smeagol and takes it out on Sam.

But there is the cheesy current events lines in LOTR.

"Sam, why do you do that?!

"Do what Frodo?"

"Put him down like that, call him names!"

teaching kids in the movie lines - good on ya Peter :)

22. Neimhaille

Neimhaille Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2002
    Faramir better become more noble by the end of RotK as he's the one that gets Eowyn;) I don't see her giving up her ... admiration for Arragorn for someone totally ignoble;)

Maybe it's been set up so that he has real room to grow.. as in he has a journey as opposed to being the same character right throughout. Much like Eowyn herself.

Guess who I'm most looking forward to seing in the film;)

Back to Faramir, aparently he's the same guy who played Audrey in Moulin Rouge:)

23. MaulsWoman

MaulsWoman Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 2, 2000
    IT WAS AWESOME!!!! I LOVED EVERY MOMENT OF IT!!!

For me there weren't any bad parts. I intend to see it again 12/21 at the IMAX theatre here in NYC. :D

I'm not a nitpicker and the films are finished. I just sit back relax and go for the ride! GREAT RIDE!!!!

24. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    GOING TODAY WITH MY DAD W00T W00T

25. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, I hear ya Neimhaille. Hopefully Faramir becomes stronger.

talking about nit picks. Here's a post some random in Games posted and my reply post follows.

Though the battle scenes were awesome, having more or less skimmed the books I found the movie not as faithful to the book as Fellowship was. In fact, it was chronologically out of whack, devoting too little time to Frodo and Sam, Faramir and Eowyn very OOC and a few other gripes. I think they trimmed the story considerably in favor to expanding the battle scenes.

And the Ents... I'm pretty sure Mr. Jackson didn't mean to have Treebeard and Co. look so unintentionally funny, but that's just what happened. I had sort of imagined them looking something like Swamp Thing but instead we just got funny looking walking trees.

I just hope things will get better for Return of the King. But seeing the liberties taken on TTT, I'm wondering if Mr. Jackson and Co. will 1)try to cram on part 3 what was left out of TTT, 2) expand TTT on the inevitable Expanded DVD Set or 3)ROTK will have to suffer similar editing in order to cram what's left of the saga (and I'm thinking that it's quite a LOT) in another 3 hr. movie. Seeing what Jackson did with Fellowship on the Expanded DVD, I'm guessing (or hoping) TTT will be made a better movie come next November.

My reply:
    What? I guess you have only skimmed the books. Treebeard and the Ents were perfect. No way were they ever going to look like "Swamp thing". The book basically says they are trees and these days rarely "walk around". Also the effects people were stumped in trying to personify a tree. So that's exactly what they were aiming for.

Also, yea they did change the story a bit from the books, but surely that's to be expected. FOTR was great and everyone loved how closely it was ran to the book. But the next movie and TTT must be changed to keep the flow going and character building to the movie standard. Sure, making Faramir more like Boromir and having him take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath was completely wrong, but it emphisises the fact that men (as a middle earth race) are easily corrupted and are weak (as elrond says in Rivendell). Peter, I feel was again trying to show this. And I personally liked the scenes were Faramir and Frodo etc are discussing the path (to Gondor) and the struggle with reason to let them go. And the scenes in the ruins at Osgiliath was great. Sure the whole Nazgul thing was new, but it adds the feelings for Frodo and his lack or will to the ring. This just makes for an incredible ROTK movie in how Frodo and Sam have to get across Mordor!

I've seen TTT once, and am seeing it again tomorrow, but I'm sure I'll love it more, rather than nit pick more.

And yes, things like Shelob etc is moved to ROTK. And will be an amazingly exciting start to the Third installment of Lord of the Rings.

edit = we must remember these movies *are not* the books. Movies have to have allowances and have to change things for flow, suspence etc. I'm not looking at the Books = Movies more. The movies are seperate things but inspired by the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.