main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Tucson's potential 501st names....

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Mugen, Mar 24, 2006.

?

Tucson's potential 501st names....

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Junland Wastes Outpost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Anchorhead Outpost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Mos Espa Outpost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mos Eisley Outpost

60.0%
  5. Toche Station Outpost

40.0%
  6. Desert Outpost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Ronstdat Outpost

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    We need to begin to look at the possible future 501st names for our fair city. We are going to be an Outpost of the Dune Sea Garisson, so Outpost is a must on the rear of the name..till we get enough members. As of now, we have 3 maybe 4 potential members of the 501st..and with any luck, we will have our numbers before April is through. So cast youre vote, and let us know what you think the 501st name for Tucson(TWO SUNS) should be. If you have any other names you'd like please feel free and share with us. :cool:

2. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    do you want votes from those of us that are not working on 501st costumes.

3. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I myself am torn between Toche Station, Anchorhead, and Junland Wastes Outposts...I will sleep on it. I-)

4. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    sure..it'd be nice to hear what you think.

5. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    I have to find proof (It was changed with CG in the SE version, I only have that one lift) but I remember (and when I saw the first show of Star Wars:SE everybody in the theater screamed it out... "Tucson!") that Tucson in 1976 was the city used when Luke and Obi-wan was on the ridge or cliff and Obi-wan said "Mos Isley Space Port; never will you find a more wretched hive of scum and villiany" so I vote for "Mos Isley".

6. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Good point Hal, I was intent upon Toche Station...but I like the fact that Lucas actually used Tucson for a screen shot in the original ANH. My vote is with you as well.

But a tune-up in the name,reviels it seems too long, maybe we can make an acronym: Mos Eisley Space Port Outpost..."MESPO"

[image=http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/Mugen613/MosEisley.jpg]

7. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    Is that really Tucson in the picture?? o_O

I think the name Tosche Station Outpost would be cool, it has a good ring to it...so does Anchorhead Outpost.

8. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I'm still thinking..can't make up my mind.

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    First, I've got to agree with the JOK on this one. I don't see how that could be a pic of Tucson. Certain mountain ranges are all wrong. Why spend all that (1976-limited budget) money on rearranging mountains, editing out all of the metro city, and all of the plant life, when you could just find a desert mountain range with an uninhabited valley and CGI(yeah, I know, the term didn't exist back then) a desert city in there? Wish it was Tucson, but it ain't.

Second, about picking a name for our/your outpost, I went with Tosche Station because both Tosche and Tucson start with "t"(as does TWO SUNS, for that matter). You guys have put a lot of time, effort, and cash into your costumes, and it shows. You are proud of your costumes, as well you should be. They are great, top notch, "canon", if you will. But forgive the "wet blanket" routine, nobody, as far as I know, has been accepted into the 501st yet, which must happen before you can be assigned to the Dune Sea Garrison, which three of you have to belong to before you can break away and form an outpost in Tucson.
    It just seems to me that this procedure is going to take months, maybe even a year, before you are at the point where you can get your own outpost. Make sure you have a large supply of patience in stock. As with any organization, you are going to have to deal with all of the bureaucratic red tape that lies ahead of you in this process.
    Should you take this journey? By all means, YES. You have goals you wish to attain. Spendid, I am glad for you. Just do not let the "fires" of your passion burn too brightly, or it could burn itself out. This "fire" must last you many months. Feed it slowly, and conserve your fuel for the long journey you have ahead of you.

Why do I keep using "you" and not "we"? My destiny lies along a different path. I plan on getting Chewie up to "canon" level over the next couple of years so that I can join the REBEL LEGION. It won't be until after that happens that I plan to "turn" to the dark side.

10. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Head's Up

Jundland Waste Outpost is used by the Arizona Rebel Legion.

I voted for Mos Eisley Outpost but I like Mos Eisley Space Port Outpost [MESPO].

11. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    mos eisley for me,but it was a hard decision

12. MasterJediDragonSir

MasterJediDragonSir Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2005

If my memory serves me right...this is what Tucson looked like ( back in the 70's before all the building of houses took place ) when you were looking at it fron the Santa Rita mountains south of us

13. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    If you study the picture you can see "old nogales highway" coming twoards you and you can see "ajo highway" shooting off to the left also keep in mind that mining has altered the mountain ranges where that picture was taken from I would say that the mountain peak right in front is no longer in existence and is now more of a mesa on the east side of I-19............Just my two cents but I do spend alot of time in those hills and looking at Tucson from those angles

14. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    This IS Tucson, hence that's why I think the name should related to Mos Eisley in some way. That was Tucson suposed to be Mos Eisley in the unaltered Star Wars (remember when it was Star Wars and not "A new hope", Episode IV, SE, or Dinitave after it?).

PS.. I was not paying attention and I voted for the one I didn't want, so please count 1 more for Mos Eisley.... and disregard the vote above that.

I know I'm kinda pushy about this but I feel strongly about it.

15. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Ok, Jack, numero' uno, I did a google search for Tucson star wars pics..not a Star Wars search for Mos Eisly pics..I found this pic in a Spanish language Star Wars thread...and I remember hearing someone within the SW community talk about using Tucson for that pic of Mos Eisley, Damian confirmed it.

#2,Wet Blanket Wookie,(LOL) We were told by Lance,the DSG head at the DSG meeting that our costumes were worthy of acceptance for 501st to begin to think about a name for our 501st outpost(Tucson)....and also asked what #s we wanted for our 501st numbers..Bev took a list from us and was going to see if the #s were taken or available. Damian's Jawa, Dustin's Tie, and my Bly make 3 and the DSG are working on getting our approval...with Jango on the way.

From what I gathered from the meeting me and Damian attended...th 501st and Rebel Legion are 2 halfs of the same circle...yin and yang.. darkside and light. Both groups require the exact same requirements for membership..in fact use the same guidelines, and paperwork.

I am in fact a member of the Rebel Legion with my dark colored Jedi outfit..."Not Yet fallen" It was approved some time ago...but oddly somoehow cross referenced with another photo(wierd and need to get that fixed)and I believe that Cat, and Jake are also looking at Legion approval when they get thier costumes complete...so we got both groups well in hand. I dunno about loosing our flame..the groups as well as my flame has done nothing but grow and soon it will be "officially" a wildfire!

16. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    working on getting our approval...with Jango on the way.

how about Jango all the way..............HAY!!!!!!!!! Jango bells Jango bells Jango all the way, Mace Windu can kiss my butt, He may have chopped off my head but Anakin will get him in the end Hay!!!!

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    Just so long as we don't get ahead of ourselves and we can stay focused and involved as friends within our original group.. I am all for expanding in all directions.. other than my waistline that is!!!

18. Boga-the-Magnificent

Jun 13, 2005
    Really, the fan force should be able to combine meetings in Tucson with RL/501st. It can be put on the agenda for monthly meetings. This shouldn't be a problem.

Also, with the picture perhaps it would help for others that don't "see it" for someone to take a copy of that and MS Paint in where "today's landmarks" are. That would give folks a better frame of reference. :)

19. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Then again, in the same friendly spirit, perhaps it would help for those that DO "see it" to view the scene on a large screen TV, pause the scene, and zoom in.

20. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Who says two cents can't buy a lot? For two cents you get a lot of questions, such as...
    1. Where is the San Xavier mission?
    2. Where are the two hills, one near the mission, the other across the Santa Cruz river near the I19 exit for the mission?
    3. Speaking of I19, where is it?
    4. Where is the Santa Cruz river?
    5. Where are the mesquite bosques that lined the river valley?
    6. Where are the pecan groves that were growing down there at that time?
    7. FACT: We live in the Sonoran Desert, on record as being the wettest desert on our planet, hence the wide diversity of plant and animal life. Where are all of the plants? Where are all the cacti, the saquaros, chollas, prickly pears, ocotillas, desert spoons, yuccas? Where are all the trees and shrubs, the mesquites, cottonwoods, palo verdes, chapparal, scrub oaks, manzanitas?

These are a few of the things I find missing from the photo that cause me to doubt it is a photo of Tucson.
    This is a free country. Believe what you want. But it is what is NOT in the photo that makes me doubt your belief.

21. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    One of the reasons I try not to talk much at the meetings is that I do not always articulate my thoughts clearly. Apparently, I cannot write my thoughts clearly, either.

Point 1. I have already addressed this. If you really want to hear ALL of my reasons for doubting the pic, I'll be glad to explain them, in full, after any meeting. In the meantime, believe what you want.

Point 2. Congratulations on your costumes being accepted. I always thought that they would be. I was not aware that Lance had told you to go ahead with the name-picking contest. Good. I, too, can take off my shoes to count(different thread reference):D . I knew you, Damien, and Dustin were trying for the 501st. SOMETHING I SHOULD HAVE INCLUDED IN MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE: While up in Phoenix for the Marathon, I overheard Jen telling someone she had submitted something that needed approval from the 501st and she still hadn't heard back from them six months later. This is what was behind my "wet blanket" ramblings. I thought it would take time to make everything "official". Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so. Hence the reference for patience.
    I don't remember hearing about you being a member of the Rebel Legion. Maybe you mentioned it and I forgot. I am aware that both groups have high standards. As far as "losing the flame", all I meant was don't let any possible delays frustrate you.

Hell, I'll even bring you a Coke to the next meeting(but why would anybody drink it?[face_sick] )
    [face_whistling] :D [face_laugh]

22. Boga-the-Magnificent

Jun 13, 2005
    And in closing I'd have this to say . . .

LET THE WOOKIEE WIN

;)

I'll say that I "googled" Tucson Star Wars pictures, Star Wars Tucson pictures, Mos Eisley Tucson and Tucson Mos Eisley and I didn't get that picture. :(

I can see parts of it that do look like a view of Tucson from the Santa Ritas. IF this is a picture of what was used in the movie then San Xavier would have most likely been taken out as would the cactus, etc. [I don't seem to remember seeing cactus on Tatooine.]

However, my question would be how central is one picture to the naming of the Tucson 501st Garrison? Hmm?

So far it looks like the majority likes the Mos Eisley Outpost or Mos Eisley Space Port Outpost. We still need Dustin's input as he is the 3rd member who will be joining the 501st.

Now, let's all gather round for a big hug or I'll pull Sith Wench out. [face_skull]

23. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Thanks for the support, but this isn't about winning or losing. Believe what you want, I only stated several reasons/questions I have that make me doubt it. That's MY choice. Yours may vary.

24. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Mos Eisley has not been used?:confused:

Hey, I voted for Tosche Station for two reasons; the "t" thingy, and the fact that Tosche Station was so small that maybe nobody had used it before. But if "Mos Eisley Space Port Outpost" is open for the taking, then TAKE IT!

25. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    "Let the Wookie win???" Remember that Jango and his boy wore Wookie scalps ...mmm taste like Jar Jar..err chicken. :*

as for the Coke comment...you're CR for one, and Coke currently holds 42% of the United States soda market while 29% goes to Pepsi. =D= [face_flag] Go AMERICA!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.