main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tunick? Tunick! Wally World Black Friday worker boycott?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I too would rather have a mammogram than go shopping on Black Friday.

Darth_Invidious and Bender666 like this.
  2. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    ...Sez the guy with Al Bundy as his icon.

(I know it's the Ninth Doctor, but he kinda does, in that pic)

3. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Would that not be a man-o-gram?

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Can't. Unsee. [face_monkey]

5. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I think Gabe is wrong. It doesn't bring out the worst in people. I think more likely it brings out the worst people. As in, the kind of people who are attracted to the idea of things like Black Friday in the first place are the worst.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think it's a mix of the two. By and large it brings out the worst people but it not only brings out the worst in them, but also brings out the worst in those who might have gone in with the very best of intentions and their Jekyll comes out instead.

7. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    [​IMG]

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Dang you! Now I'm going to have nightmares about a regeneration gone wrong and Al Bundy being the result!

9. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    My job is done.

10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    walmart has not only closed down stores but an entire canadian venture and all their meat departments to prevent unionization. if labor can make progress over that combination of deep pockets and resolve no corporation is safe. someone said walmart is the white whale of the american labor movement and its a very true statement. these events probably wont amount to much but if they escalate... we could be looking at something VERY interesting

11. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    UNIONS WILL SHUT DOWN WAL-MART LIKE THEY KILLED TWINKIES

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I think I've shopped Black Friday once, decades ago and after bring very disappointed, just never did again.

13. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I like shopping for stuff online. And buying cheep things from small retailers.

Everyone dreads presents from me. :D

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    So be it. Let them be wiped off the face of this Earth. They're a good customer to my company but I wouldn't shed a tear if by some miracle (be it massive unionizing or simple economics) the Evil Empire was brought down.

The one and only time I've ever been to a Black Friday thing, the mob had gotten so anxious and were pressing down so hard against the doors, they managed to break one of the windows of the local KMart I was standing outside of. IIRC one guy attempted to get in through that window, even with the shards of glass jutting out. I got the thing I had an eye on but the experience was so not worth it. People turn into ******* savages the moment they've digested their guddam turkey and drive to their local mall to partake on this ridiculous ritual.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How about these parents who get into fist fights with each other over the latest kids' toy? *headdesk*

16. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    we can only hope

MrZAP likes this.
  17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Fist fights? Don't be surprised if one it's these days one of those fist fights degenerates into a GUN fight.

18. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    If the Wal-Mart in my town closes and Meijers comes in to takes its place, I'd be cool with that. Heck, I'd be more than fine- I'd kinda consider it karma, since Meijers pioneered the whole "department store and grocery store in one place" concept, but Wal-Mart took it and ran with it to devilish new lows.

If you're ever in the Midwest, don't be afraid to stop into a Meijers. You'll like it.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    moar like "HalFart"

because it STINKS

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You're a judgmental little ****er. :p

I agree with Juliet... it's a mixture of the two. I've done Black Friday exactly once. K-Mart had a good deal on Lego sets. My son really loves Lego, so I ventured out on Black Friday. I don't think that makes me a terrible person. I definitely saw some terrible people--terrible people are everywhere. Some people are attracted to the sales because they don't have a lot of money, and want to get stuff for their kids... others are out there for sport and want to fight with you over remote control cars. It takes all kinds, I guess. I do know that I'll probably never do Black Friday again. My son has gotten to the age where he wants gift cards so he can get his own stuff... score.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think I actually went out on Black Friday last year to buy jeans, because I needed jeans and had free time and there were sales. I went out in the afternoon, though. I'm not crazy. But that's the only time I can recall involvement in this grand, stupid tradition.

22. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I was half-joking anyway. Generally I think such traditions are bad for society in general and people enabling them should stop, and that it does tend to attract a very overly-consumerist/selfish group of people, but I'm not dumb enough to believe everyone who does it is a selfish materialistic ape. I'm just dumb enough to believe most of them are.:p

Either way I'd rather talk about how unions are detroying all of the sacred things we have, like junk food and superstores, and why union workers are all evil and deserve to be put into Victorian workhouses forever. Or Alcatraz, if you prefer. Yes. All of them, in Alcatraz. I don't care how many there are; do it! We don't need teachers or truck drivers or miners or any of those things anyhow!

23. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I feel for my retail brothers and sisters. We don't close ever at work. We are open 365 days a year. So while you enjoy your holidays off with your families and go out to the movies maybe think about not being a jerk to the person behind the counter that has to work and doesn't get to enjoy being with friends and family. I know nature of the beast or whatever but it still sucks.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, seriously... I feel awful every time I hear somebody complain about the price of popcorn to the poor kid earning minimum wage, who has absolutely no say in the price of anything.

darthhelinith likes this.
  25. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    If you can't afford the movies then don't go or use a dollar cinema. That's what I tell people. It's just like going to a baseball game or concert. We see almost nothing on ticket revenue we gotta pay the bills somehow, if that $7 popcorn is too much then don't buy it. Plus the drought this year crushed corn prices. Our non-corn prices haven't gone up in two years. NM I lied pizza went up a quarter this year.