main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge [ TURN IT UP! ] - Congrats anakinfansince1983 and DarthIshtar!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Harpalyce, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpalyce

Harpalyce Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi everyone, and welcome to what I hope will be the first annual Don't Stop The Music challenge!

So what's all this then?

This is a fanfiction challenge that will be running until (at least) July 1st, so there's plenty of time.

The premise here is pretty simple:
    Harpalyce's brain is strange and associates certain musical artists to certain Star Wars characters.
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to write a fanfic inspired by a song from an artist for the corresponding character.
    In other words, if the artist for Obi-Wan Kenobi is David Bowie, go find a Bowie song that inspires you, and write a fanfic about Obi-Wan based on that song.
    Then you come here, and post the link to your fanfic. We'll keep a big running list.

What's this about prizes?

Because I am making you follow the tyranny of my own convoluted and strange thought processes, I figure if you're writing this crazy stuff, I should probably give the winners something!

The prizes are:
    -ACEO art trading cards done by Cat Wronko - example http://fav.me/d1wqoeu here
    -The video game Audiosurf, on Steam (or $10 gift card to Steam, or any other $10 game you like!)
    -$10 gift card to iTunes

First prize gets their pick of three of those prizes; second prize gets two; third prize gets one. You can mix and match or double it up - so first prize could take two art cards and Audiosurf, or three art cards, or twenty dollars on iTunes and an art card, etc.

Please don't send me any personal information!! You don't need it to enter this contest, and I don't want it, so please don't PM me ANY details. If you win, I only need your email address to send the iTunes gift card and Steam game to you. If you would like your art card to have and to hold in real life, you will need to get in contact with the artist herself, but we'll work that out with the winners when this is over. Again, I don't want any of your personal info, I don't need it - don't send it, please!

Rules and Regs

• As always, all TF.N rules and fanfic rules apply.

• Since we're looking at prizes that have real-world value, anyone caught cheating will be disqualified. Really, use common sense... play a clean game!

• It has to be a fanfic about Star Wars, and Star Wars only. Sorry, fellow crossover fans, but let's keep things simple.

• While illustrating your fanfic is awesome, this is a fanfic contest, not a fanart one - sorry!

• Any time period is fine. Any character is fine. If the character you want to write about isn't on the list, just let me know and I should come up with something!

• Fanfics don't need to be songfics, but they must be connected to and inspired by a song. Please link the song you're using as inspiration when you post your fanfiction.

• It's always tempting to write a crack-fic, but for my sake, let's keep things at least somewhat serious, ok?

• Remixes, mashups, and covers are absolutely fine, as long as you start off with the artist listed for the character. For example, if you want to use the Rasmus' cover of Bjork's "Play Dead" for your Anakin fic, that's totally fine. If you want to use a sweet mashup of Lady Gaga and Metallica as your inspiration for a Ventress fic, go for it!

• You can enter multiple times, but only win once. In other words, write as many entries as you like. But to keep things fair, you won't go home with ALL the prizes.

• The idea of this contest is to have fun and perhaps get to know a new song or artist you hadn't known about before. So HAVE FUN! It's absolutely mandatory! :)

How to enter:

To keep things organized, here's a step by step walkthrough.

1. Look at the big list of characters and associated artists.

2. Pick one you want to write about!

3. Find a song from the associated artist that inspires you to write about that character.

4. Write your fanfiction!

5. When you post your fanfiction, please put this - [TIU!] - in the title so that we can tell at a glance if your fanfic is part of the contest.
    So a sampl

2. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Characters and Artists

This format is like so:
    Character name - Music Artist(s) associated

• Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader - Bjork, Oingo Boingo

• Luke Skywalker - Gorillaz, POLYSICS

• Leia Organa - Blondie

• Padme Amidala - The Cure, Bond (the string quartet)

• Mara Jade - Massive Attack

• Palpatine - Electric Six

• Asajj Ventress - Lady Gaga, Spinerette

• Han Solo - Reel Big Fish

• Boba Fett - Frank Sinatra

• Obi-Wan Kenobi - David Bowie, Gnarls Barkley

• Qui-Gon Jinn - Dan Fogelberg

• Satine Kryze - La Roux

• Ahsoka Tano - The Cranberries, Hooverphonic

• Revan - The Knife

• Barriss Ofee - Ra Ra Riot

• General Grievous - Goldfrapp

• Kreia - Portishead

3. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Ah...awesome idea.

All era's are permitted, right? Because that list is kinda short and screams out Saga to me. :)

I'd love to see some characters from Beyond The Saga as well. (And Before The Saga of course)

Obviously, Kyp Durron. :p And Jagged Fel, and Jaina and Jacen, Anakin Solo, Tahiri Veila etc etc.

:)

4. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah, it's open to all eras, but I admit I only know a tiny bit of the EU. I'll be thinking about bands to match up to those characters though!

5. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I'm definitely in, and I'm pretty EU-savvy (though, admittedly only through the New Republic era and maybe five books of the New Jedi Order), so if you need help, Alyce, I'll be happy to. I'm pretty partial to Rogue Squadron and pretty much all of Tim Zahn and Mike Stackpole's additions to Star Wars. For Beyond - you've got Mara, but Booster Terrik and Talon Karrde, Corran and Mirax Horn, plus Wedge, Wes, Hobbie, and Tycho, would all make awesome additions.

With Before I don't know many others, except perhaps Siri Tachi. She's usually the de facto Obi-wan pairing and might draw in some people who are familiar with Before the Saga but are unfamiliar or uninterested in The Clone Wars. Or a few more of Revan's pals might be nice - I would jump at the chance to write about Carth, as I was and remain a serious fangirl. :p

It all depends on what you want to do, though. Looking at the list I've just churned out, you might prefer to keep it small. If you tried to include everyone you'd end up hating yourself. :p

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Me, Leia and blondie. This is so full of win.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Given the KOTOR fangirl I am, I'll definitely work through my music and see if I can find some songs for that lot! Carth is obviously some country singer... LOL...

I may only add one more EU character, not out of spite, but simply because I just don't know that era and it's hard for me to judge that. (If someone wants to help me judge, though, I'll be happy to have the help!) People are more than welcome to take characters already listed into that beyond-the-movies time period, though, and I'm sure that if you want to write about, oh, Ben Skywalker, you can take Massive Attack's "Safe from Harm" and incorporate Mara Jade into it and run with that song as inspiration. :)

8. dark_jedi_lover

dark_jedi_lover Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 25, 2004
    This is a super cool idea; I love writing fics inspired by music. I would love to see some more Kotor characters on the list if possible (Atton or Kreia maybe?). Definitely looking forward to this challenge.

9. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Snerk. I would not have thought of that. I have Crossfade on my Carth playlist. And, like, Breaking Benjamin. Angry with a touch of "woe is me". :p

EDIT: I just realized that Han is Reel Big Fish. That makes me happy. <3 I have it on my Rogue Squadron playlist.

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I've seen other characters with multiple artists. Would you be amenable to adding Rob Thomas to either Han or Leia?

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I might have to write Qui-Gon just so I can go through the Dan Fogelberg I liked as a kid. :p Or Ahsoka--the Cranberries so fit her.

I usually write Anakin or Han but I'm not familiar with those artists. But hey, it's a chance to listen to some new music.

I'm in, whenever you decide to kick it off.

12. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    I know, right? Dan Fogelberg, the sound of my childhood... along with Mannheim Steamroller. That was pretty much what my mother listened to, LOL. She also acts a lot like Qui-Gon, so there you go. :p

I'm amenable to adding characters that I know, but I'm afraid when it comes to adding specific artists, that's kinda not what this challenge is about, if that make sense. The idea is to give an incentive to get you out of your 'musical comfort zone' by dragging you into ideas from my head :) If you have a Rob Thomas song you're eying, you should totally go for it! It just won't be eligible for this contest. ^^;

Tossing up an entry for Kreia now so there can be some KOTOR2 love. Other KOTOR characters will be coming soon, I just have to think things over a bit! ^^

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Stacy from Allegiance as a character suggestion. :)

14. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Dan Fogelberg and Qui-Gon;):) I could come up with some. Are we allowed to do the same character?

15. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    We have the same taste in music. :D

16. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    This is actually why I love this, because like I said earlier, I would not have thought of any of these, and this is coming from a person who keeps extensive playlists in iTunes for about seventy-five or so characters and couples across maybe five or six different fandoms. It's helping me find new music, which is always awesome. And I didn't have an Ahsoka playlist before, but now I do. Hooray!

:D! Oh, cool, Ceillean! Obviously you are an awesome person. I'mma start posting some fanmixes at the site in my signature soon, you'll probably like some of them, then!

17. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I wish I could participate, but since I've only heard of THREE of these artists, (Sinatra, Blondie and Bowie... all the other ones mentioned... :confused: )

I don't think I'd better play in this one. :cool:

EDIT - I'd have to associate Lando and not Fett with Sinatra, anyway. LOL!

18. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Aah, but this is the beauty of this contest! :D

http://grooveshark.com/ Pick a character, go look up the artist, and see if you like what you find! Your reaction may be along the lines of "What the HELL, Harpalyce, you have TERRIBLE TASTE IN MUSIC!", or you may go, "Actually, this is really cool! I never would have known about this artist before!".

That's why one of the prizes is an iTunes gift certificate - so you can get new music that you enjoy! ;)

With that said, I would be more than happy to update the list above so that it links to individual songs from each artist. I haven't done so already because I've worried about people all doing the same song, but it does make sense to have a good "jumping off point" - and honestly people may take the same song in totally different directions, so, there's that too. I may go ahead and do that this afternoon.

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Someone please write an Asajj fic based on "Bad Romance" or "Poker Face." Ahahahaha.

20. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    "Bad Romance" is Ventress/Obi-Wan all over. ;)

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, I was thinking Born This Way for Asajj.

22. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    *grin* There are so many wonderful songs for her... seriously!

If there are no objections from the studio audience/moderators, this contest will open up officially on Monday, May 9th. :)

23. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Okay! So I've decided to put this in a separate post to prevent confusion - or simply if you want to go about being 'untainted'. But I'm choosing a couple of songs that I think would make good launchpads. If you're staring at my suggestions going, "What the hell, Harpalyce?", check this list out. If you want to write about a character but don't know the artist at all, check this out. If you just want to get some ideas of new music and need a place to start, check this out. :)

I'll try to keep these to a reasonable limit. ...and by that I mean I will attempt not to go with the answer of "EVERYTHINNNGGG~~~~" for the Anakin-Vader/Bjork connection.

Format will go as so -
    Character name - "Song", "Song" / "Song from 2nd Artist if there is one"

24. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Can we suggest bands and characters as long as you give the final ok?

Cause you are missing quite a few characters and there are a multitude of artists out there to match them.

25. Harpalyce

Jun 19, 2010
    Went back and edited a few things becauz i kan spel gud lul

As of today, I declare the contest officially open! So feel free to get started writing and posting replies. :)

I'm afraid for right now my answer is no to adding onto the list. Sounds harsh, I know, but I'm worried about just plain not being able to judge for characters I don't know. Try not to see it as me squashing your creativity :) You are totally more than welcome to start another discussion thread, to toss ideas around in here, etc., etc... Look at this as a bunch of restraints you're working in to keep me sane. I don't want anyone to get "cheated" out of their prize because I don't understand a character like Jacen Solo.

And, hey, I want you guys to discover new music... but if you just suggest bands you already know, that kinda defeats the purpose, right? :B Bjork and Oingo Boingo are two huge goldmines here, trust me. If you don't like 80's pop-rock classics, you'll probably find at least a little something in Bjork's varied collection that strikes your fancy. And if you don't like wierdo Icelandic girls, then you can probably find a good jam in Oingo Boingo. And there are tons and tons of songs from both these artists that I think would make great foundations for 'fics about Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader. Just some that might not be appropriate for TF.N. ...so keep in mind Ahsoka's age when you're listening to "Little Girls" by Oingo Boingo, and realize that if you use it, it'll probably just have to be Vader's anthem for finally going Lizzie Borden style axe crazy at Ahsoka.

I hope that makes sense. Please feel MORE than free to start planning contests like this one, but with characters I'm not familiar with! :>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.