Story [TURN / L&O:SVU / SG:A] Bucephalus - 10/7 (Ben and Caleb)

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by Tarsier, Sep 23, 2017.

Moderators: Mira_Jade
  1. Tarsier Jedi Master

star 4
    Title: Bucephalus

Fandom: Yes, you read that correctly - this is a TURN: Washington’s Spies, Law & Order: Special Victim’s Unit, and Stargate: Atlantis crossover. I don’t have much explanation, other than this is where my muse took me.

If this story focuses more on one fandom than the others, it would be TURN. And if there is one main character it is Anna Strong. That said, the POV will vary and all twelve of the characters should get some screen time.

Summary: Three worlds in crisis, twelve people find themselves in a mysterious forest.

Genre: Mostly character interaction, dialogue, and introspection.

Characters:
    TURN: Anna Strong, Abraham Woodhull, Major Benjamin Tallmadge, Lieutenant Caleb Brewster
    SVU: Detective Olivia Benson, Detective Elliot Stabler, Assistant District Attorney Casey Novak, Detective John Munch
    Atlantis: Lieutenant Colonel John Sheppard, Teyla Emmagan, Dr. Elizabeth Weir, Dr. Carson Beckett

Timeline:
    TURN: 1778 - Right before the last scene of the Season 2 finale.
    SVU: ~2005 - Approximately Season 7 (not directly related to a specific canon event or episode).
    Atlantis: ~2005 - Approximately Season 2 (not directly related to a specific canon event or episode).

Notes: I've been wanting to get back into posting, so I'm going to try this. No guarantees about when it will be updated, but I'm hoping I can get a few short sections up somewhat regularly. I have an ending in mind, but there's a lot of meandering character interactions in the meantime....

Also, I'm not much of a history buff, so if I get anything historically wrong, especially with the TURN characters, please let me know and I will correct it. Thanks!

Constructive criticism is welcome. There are no chapters, so each section of the story will be set off by blue stars (* * *).

They were sharing a roof, but Anna had never felt further away from Abe.

Abe was not a killer. In her heart, Anna knew this. He had spilled blood before. That had been inevitable. Even Anna’s hands were not entirely without stain. But this, his current plan, was something altogether different. It crossed a line that could not be crossed. Not even for the cause.

If he did this—if, come morning, Abe did what he intended—he might as well be dead. It would mean the Abe she knew and loved was already dead. And the shell that remained was not likely to last long in this world.

“It’s nothing. Just bleeding a lot.”

“I’m not sure those two sentences are supposed to go together.”

“Just make the bleeding stop. I need to get back out there.”

“It could use a stitch or two…”

“No way. Just give me a band-aid and I’ll be fine.”

Dr. Beckett sighed. It was a big enough gash, he would have like to have stitched it. But faces were notoriously hard to stitch, and there was no way Sheppard would hold still long enough to get the job done properly without a heavy sedative. The wound, just over Sheppard’s right eye, had mostly stopped bleeding. Dr. Beckett turned toward the supply cabinet in search of a butterfly bandage.

“How bad is it out there?” Dr. Beckett almost didn’t want to know, but he figured it would be better to know what degree of influx to the medical center he should expect.

“It’s crazy. I mean, this girl disappears and the Athosians blame us. Like we don’t have enough problems, we need to kidnap some girl to keep things exciting. So they say if we don’t have the girl, she must be lost in the city and they want to look for her. Except we’ve got a very specific protocol for exploring the city, since the city has a tendency to try and kill us all. But they just want to blow through the whole place turning on the lights and starting up who knows what kind of technology on their way. We say no, and they take that as proof that we’re holding the girl, hiding her from them.”

“So then, is this shiner you got from a piece of rogue technology?”

“Not exactly.”

“One of the Athosians, then?”

“Doesn’t matter.” Sheppard rose to his feet. “Anyone asks, you never saw me, I was never here.”

Dr. Beckett watched Sheppard depart, hoping he wouldn’t be the first in a long stream of patients that day.

Captain Cragen and Detective Stabler were nose-to-nose. “You need rest, Detective. Take a break, get some sleep. That’s an order.”

“I’ll sleep when the case is closed!” Stabler slammed the palm of his hand into the wall behind Cragen.

“Take a walk!”

Fuming, Stabler headed toward the elevators, brushing by ADA Novak as she entered the squadroom. Novak looked from Stabler to Cragen and then made brief eye contact with Detective Benson, who was seated at her desk. Benson shook her head, and Novak turned on her heel. “I’ll come back later.”

Last edited by Tarsier, Oct 7, 2017
  2. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, you definitely have Doctor Beckett's voice down, and that explanation of the situation with the Athosians from Shepperd was pretty true to form.

Never heard of TURN, but given that I don't watch television, it could be over here in the UK, and I'm simply not aware.

As a die-hard fan of Homicide: Life on the Street, where Detective Munch originated, there is a more than fair chance that I will re-visit to see how he gets on.

8/10, so far.
    brodiew and Tarsier like this.
  3. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 5
    TURN and SCIFI?!

*pulls up seat and pops down with popcorn*

First off: you have an excellent Anna voice. This moment in the series was such a turning point for her, in so many ways, and I'm interested to see how the introduction of these characters will lead! SVU is the Law and Order I watched least - the same goes with Atlantis, but I am going to follow this as well as I can. You already have such a wonderful knack for characters and their voices that I know it won't be hard.

Again, I am very, very intrigued to see where this goes. [face_thinking]=D=
    brodiew, Sith-I-5 and Tarsier like this.
  4. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Nice Work, @Tarsier! I have minor knowledge of SVU and SGA, but other than having heard of it, I got nothing on TURN. However, I really enjoyed your writing here. It will be interesting to see how you draw these unconnected points together. :)
    Last edited by brodiew, Sep 26, 2017
    Tarsier likes this.
  5. Tarsier Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow! This little bit of craziness got a lot more attention than I expected. :D

One general note: I hope and intend that this story will be accessible to everyone, whether or not they are familiar with the fandoms. Each character will be totally unfamiliar with the characters from the other fandoms, so there will be a lot of explaining within the story. I may add some endnotes to some parts if I feel more explanation is helpful. Any and all questions are welcomed and encouraged. :)

I'm so happy Doctor Beckett's voice sounded right! I was worried about that - I didn't want to overplay the Scottish accent, but I didn't want to completely ignore it either.

Well, since it's about the Revolutionary War, I expect TURN is less popular in the UK than the USA. :p That said, I don't know that it is very popular even over here - it is a cable show, and Mira is about the only other person I've met that watches the show.

I've heard of Homicide: Life on the Street, but I've never gotten to see it. I want to, but I'm also afraid it may be too gritty for my taste. I'll admit you mentioned the two characters I'm least confident about writing - Beckett and Munch - I hope I can do them justice, but please let me know if I'm off the mark.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Technically, there's not a ton of sci-fi elements, other than them all ending up where they do, which I'll go ahead and tell you now isn't ever really explained. But I'm hoping the various character interactions will still be entertaining. :)

Yay! I'm so glad Anna sounds okay. As you can probably guess, I really didn't like that next scene. I haven't watched much of Season 3, in part because of that.

SVU is actually the only Law & Order I watch. If you avoid it because of the subject matter I don't blame you. In fact, I don't like the subject matter myself, I just like the characters, and I sometimes wish the characters could investigate different crimes. But then again, part of what makes the characters who they are is the Special Victims Unit and why they're there... Anyway, there will only be vague general references to any sort of crime, so I hope that part won't make anyone uncomfortable.

Thank you very much for your comments!

Thank you!! Well, there's not a lot of art to how the points are drawn together, but I hope it will be an interesting ride once we get there! :)
  6. Tarsier Jedi Master

star 4
    Author Note: Since a lot of readers are unfamiliar with TURN, I thought I'd include pictures of the characters as they appear. Below are Major Benjamin Tallmadge, Lieutenant Caleb Brewster.
    Ben (open)

[IMG]
    Caleb (open)
    [IMG]

Ben awoke and immediately realized he was lying on the forest floor. He sat up, gingerly at first, afraid of being confronted with a wave of pain from a fresh wound. There was no pain, no evidence of injury, but he still moved cautiously.

“Caleb?” he called quietly as he looked around. Waking up in the middle of nowhere with no idea how he’d gotten there was not that unusual for Ben. He looked for signs that Caleb had ridden off, perhaps searching for water. There were no tracks in the soft ground. No sign of horses, or of Caleb. Not good.

Waking up in the middle of nowhere with no idea how he’d gotten there without Caleb nearby was not just unusual, it was absolutely unheard of. He got to his feet and was comforted to feel the hilt of his sword at his side. “Caleb!” he cried as he chose a path at random and headed deeper into the forest.

“Bennie!” Caleb yelled as he jogged down the forest path. He came to a stop at the top of a small hill. “Ben!” he screamed as loud as he could.

No response.

What happened? Was he on a mission? Why couldn’t he remember what it was? Had he been drinking too much? He didn’t have the pounding headache usually associated with too much drinking. In fact, he felt perfectly fit and clear-headed, except for having no clue where he was or why he was there.

Nothing looked familiar, he wasn’t anywhere near Valley Forge, Setauket, or anywhere in between.

Caleb was pretty sure he would remember if he was on a mission for Washington. And if Ben was nearby he would have found him by now.

That left…Abe and Anna. Those two were almost as good as Caleb at getting into trouble. But they weren’t nearly as good as he was at getting out of it.

“Woody! Annie!”

Author Note:Just a short update this time. I'm hoping most updates will be a bit longer, but I want to try to keep the momentum up, so I'm going to try to update at least every couple weeks, even if the updates are short.

Next up: [SVU] Detective Olivia Benson
    Last edited by Tarsier, Oct 7, 2017
  7. Sith-I-5 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Okay, that wasn't as inaccessible as I thought it would be.

I liked your play on the cliché of someone waking up alone, and just as they get worried that they are alone, their companion turns up with the water / fire wood / a just caught rabbit [delete as applicable]

Good introductions for both Benjamin and Caleb.

Woody and Annie had a Toy Story vibe to it, which isn't your fault if that is what the TURN characters are called. Ah, research indicates the cowgirl was Jessie, not Annie. You are in the clear.
    Tarsier likes this.
  8. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 5
    :D This was sooo Ben; Caleb too. Yep, waking up alone with no idea of what's going on isn't outside the realm of possibility for Ben. But I love the process of elimination for both characters and, of course, their concern for one another and for their friends. Ben and Caleb share such a wonderful bromance, and that bond was nicely highlighted here.

A short update, but enjoyable! I am eagerly looking forward to more. :) =D=
    Tarsier likes this.
Moderators: Mira_Jade